Brushed Aluminum/Polished Gas Cap = 6 hours

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Along with a couple of nice blisters!

After looking at pics of the MGW caps for the last couple of weeks, I decided I preferred the profile and appearance of the stock unit better. So at about 9PM last night, I finally got the urge to pull my stock aluminum gas cap and refinish it. When I bought the car, it was one of the 2 items I really wanted to address. It was oxidizing under the factory clear and the roller was rusting.

After pulling it off the car last night, I noticed that the former owner had painted the base silver at some point in time. The paint was a little too thick and it was flaking. I brought the piece into my workshop and hit it with some 220 grit wet. After getting most of the clear and silver off the cap, I used my dremel to get into the cracks and crevices. I also made it a point to machine the surfaces a little more true as the factory casting is kinda crappy. Gave the edges a little more definition and smoothed out the hinges and latch. Upon sanding, I noticed a rough spot in the center of the cap that I think is attributed to the fastening point on the cap underside for the bolt. Oh well....

6 hours later, I had the piece 220'd, 320'd, 400'd, then 600'd before hitting it with a red rouge and finally a white rouge to get as much shine out of the polished portion as possible. I finished the base with a worn piece of 320 grit to give it a little contrast (and polishing all those little cracks and crevices would **** big time).

Reinstalling the cap was not too bad at all. Removed the rubber gasket, and installed it in the gas cap. I used a little silicone on the filler neck and with the use of an old metal hanger, I held the filler neck in place while pressing/slightly twisting the cap back on. Note: Use your finger tips to apply pressure to the recessed area surrounding the gasket to get the cap on quick and easy.

Before refinishing: Note heavy oxidation
You must be registered for see images attach

Mid Point: 400 grit

3/4 Complete: Base finished, polishing & clear coating

Complete: Clearcoated base only!

Installed:

:2tu:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, that's the way to do it! I got a used cap from a VCA member and a friend and I did the same thing only we used a high speed grinder with a polishing wheel installed and it turned out great. Looks brand new.

OP
OP
E

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipur/Paul - Mahalo guys!

Bruce - Claybar huh? Don't think that would've worked with my situation. Keep us posted.

IEATVETTES - Thank you brutha. I actually did use my Dayton 7" buffer to finish the shine. Red & white rouge to give it some bling.

Maxdaddy - Thank you. RE: Chroming? No I didn't. I did consider it heavily, but I am not too confident with the local chrome service shops.

OP
OP
E

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eucharistos & Plum - Thank you kindly. This forum gives me all kinds of crazy ideas to try at 9 at night. LOL

OP
OP
E

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great. How long will the clear coat last before it wears off?

Thanks. I sprayed a clear marine enamel, so I'm hoping to get a few yeas out of it at least. I kept the coats thin and did my best to get as much of a water tight seal as possible, but in the cracks and crevices, I doubt I got good coverage. We'll see. Worst case... this can buy me some time to figure out who I can have chrome it.:cool:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock cap is one of the coolest aesthetic features of the GTS ! I'm going to get around to doing mine too but a little patina keeps with the car's nasty image...

OP
OP
E

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V10enomous - I agree. I think the MGW caps are a great offering, but the stock has the most attractive profile and heritage.

rudedawg - My fingertips argue otherwise, but I am satisfied with the outcome. Mahalo!

bigmack - The thought crossed my mind. The black would hike the inevitable oxidation better, but I think just seeing the polished lid itself would detract from the cap as a whole.

2snakes - Thanks for saying. I did a search for the gas cap removal/installation process and couldn't find much material. Unfortunately being in Hawaii has no real use for me becoming a VCA member, so I had to kind of feel this process out. I am more than willing to contribute to the community though, so if a detailed write up would be of interest, I can definitely go through this in more detail.

OP
OP
E

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whiteout - Mahalo!

Mac - That's tight bro. I contemplated doing the same, but ended up with a 50/50 compromise.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I sprayed a clear marine enamel, so I'm hoping to get a few yeas out of it at least. I kept the coats thin and did my best to get as much of a water tight seal as possible, but in the cracks and crevices, I doubt I got good coverage. We'll see. Worst case... this can buy me some time to figure out who I can have chrome it.:cool:

Don't chrome it. Polished looks much better.

OP
OP
E

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck, I think polished is the correct look, albeit a ***** to maintain. It's all good though....I got time.

OP
OP
E

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viperless - I think anytime there is a compromise in the clear, wherein oxygen is allowed to permeate, you will get oxidation with the bare aluminum. The oxidation starts at a single point and grows like weeds under the rest of the clear. The heaviest oxidation was on the underside of the cap where moisture probably lingered the longest.

Unfortunately with these caps, I think this will be an inevitable bug.

OP
OP
E

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brutha I would love to help with that extra cap, but with my other projects going on, I don't know that I could give you a solid time frame on turn-around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32