BTR Tom won the street tire shootout V-10 Nationals

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to 1tony1 and he told me Tom ran a 10.43 on street tires during the street tire shootout. That is incredible! Tony ran a 10.66 @139MPH with his Roe SC, Blowngts ran 10.60, and Roof ran a 10.7x. Those are great times on street tires. I am sure someone will chime in with the exact MPH but nevertheless those are some sick numbers on street tires.

Can someone chime in and give us more details?

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Tom :2tu:

Looks like some good racing Weather for Sunday high 62 partly cloudy. Wish I had my car done, I would be joining the fun.

Props to everyone that drove their own car on street tires, it's not an easy thing to do. I'll be there Sunday with a video camera :laugh:

Mike

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom Welch also had the best mph at 141 and the best reaction at 5.07. These did not come in the same race where he turned 10.43. In that race (with Tony)he lifted and had a a 131 mph. Is he running a sc or nos.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I ran a 13.0

Don't let Gerald kid you guys.....he did great. BTR Tom actually let out early on that pass so his mph was down.

Tony, NICE attempt at making me feel better. Hopefully I'll do better today.
1st pass on the 13 I shifted into neutral and floored it thinking it was 2nd. Pretty dumb. 2nd pass I snapped a 1/2 shaft.

G

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Tom, I'm curious - What kind of street tire did you run on?

nohsreg2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats Tom. Job well done. Enjoy your prize money from The other Viper site.

V I P E R A L L E Y congratulates Tom and his Awesome run.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald ran a 10.8 on steet tires today. Great run first time ever on drag strip. Congrats Gerald.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody done calculations on what time or mph is theoretically possible for a viper to run on Mich Pilots under average settings (temp, track, etc.) ? Obviously, a car is going to be limited to traction, but if everything were perfect, how fast could a car go? Is a 10.0 second run even possible?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos.

There were lots of 10 second runs yesterday at the street tire race.

I believe though, that the 10.43 is a new record for STOCK PILOTS. Funny enough, my 60' time was only 1.88 and I lifted on that run to conserve precious juice as I had the race won. Could have been a bit quicker.

To answer Superbar, anything can happen, its a simple matter of power and traction. Earlier in the day, I was having terrible runs as I was overpowering the track from the pressure of watching Dr. Roof, Tony1 and others dip into the tens. I backed off the launch in the first round and WHAM...10.60 at 140 mph. Then the 10.43, then another 10.66 at 141 mph, then an easy pass in the final at 10.97(no sense in shaming a very worthy opponent)

In my opinion, the street tire shootout is the most fun event at these venues. Those who belly ache about the driver being the owner, need to look no further than at Dr. Roof. The guy has been to the track maybe 10 times and is running mid 9s! Gerald.......another example..his first time at the track and he runs 10's. Think about it this way; when you are out cruising in your Viper with your honey, and someone coaxes you into a race on the highway....ARE YOU GONNA SAY..."NAW, I can't..I GOTS TO CALL MY DRIVER"?? Enough said.

Tom

P.S. THANKS A L L E Y!! I'm gonna use the winnings to help sponsor the next event!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell yeah Tom,!! Thanks for the mention! next time it's 10.5 at 140 once I rip this freaking wing off! :laugh: :laugh:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Tom. You are one hell of a driver. Guess I will breakdown and order your instructional video so I can improve myself.

Take care.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Tom!

Is the next event going to be in SoCal? :) I sure would like to attend...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4