buck & surge

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A friends 98 GTS with 10k miles tends to buck and surge at low rpm's and low speeds, any suggestions? :confused:

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't go so slow! O.K. , new plugs might help a bit , but it is the nature of the beast to surge a bit. Tell him to work the clutch pedal while putting around.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PErhaps a throttle cable sync... excellent instructions for performing this exist on the board, I think perhaps in Illustrated Upgrades section? If not there, do a search.

But as was said before, tis the nature of the beast.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 was really bad. I adjusted the two throttle body settings and it seemed to help. The '02 GTS is a little better, but I still feather the clutch.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order of what helps (from one that had it bad and has smooth driving now):

1. Throttle sync, make sure left side pulls first is key.
2. New plug wires.
3. New plugs.

jason427

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought only the Gen I's had the problem with adjusting the throttle bodies...

How do you adjust the newer ones?

SO the DRIVERS side should slightly open ahead of the passenger side throttle body?

Thanks,
Jason

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know for sure if Gen II's had problem too. But yes, drivers side should move first, just very slightly. It's the side that tells the computer what to do.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought only the Gen I's had the problem with adjusting the throttle bodies...

How do you adjust the newer ones?

SO the DRIVERS side should slightly open ahead of the passenger side throttle body?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, you adjust the newer ones by tightening, loosening screw on passenger side throttle body linkage. As you screw the bolt in it will cause TB to open up sooner/later and vice versa. Remember, the driver side only leads by a nats a$$

Gerald