Burning audio CD's

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Burning audio CD\'s

Does anyone have instructions on how to burn a audio CD that will play in the Viper. I have tried both Music Match and Windows Media 10. Neither will play in the Viper. Recommendations?

I checked the typical trouble shooting and they have about 10 reasons why it won't or what to try. Looking for someone who has the right formula to make this work. Thanks.

Dave Dugal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Burning audio CD\'s

Hi David.

I don't have my stock CD player anymore, but from what I remember about trying to appease an overly anal Sony home CD/SACD player, the "Disk-at-once" option of your Audio CD burning software is preferable. Also, be sure you're writing an Audio CD, and not a data CD with MP3 files. My aftermarket Alpine head unit plays MP3 data CDs, but the original GTS unit does not (at least in '97).

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score

yup,

same here, my 97 GTS alpine player didnt play burned CDs either. Thats why I replaced it with a Pioneer DVD/Cd player. I also rigged mine to play DVDs while driving. he he

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I burned eleven songs onto a disc with Windows Media Player and it worked great in the stock Alpine radio in my GTS.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Make sure that the session is closed after copying your music, and try Disk-at-once. If that doesn't work, you could try track at once. You'll probably have to experiment, but making sure the session is closed is the most important thing IMO for compatibility.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you aren't burning them as MP3s, then they are fine. but expect no more than 15-18 songs (80 min of music) per CD.

If you want something that reads MP3 format, you need to replace your head unit.

most buring software has an "audio CD" mode... check to see if your SW has this..

JD

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Change your format from mp3 to wav & it will work fine.

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I do not have a disk-at-once option as far as I can tell. Can't find that option or choice on window media 10. I have copied everything as "audio". I also believe media 10 closes the disk at burn.

Could it be the site I download the song from? I believe the download was supposedly compatible with MP3, wav, etc, it was 4-5 configurations.

I have only download one song to test and see what it takes to play in the Viper/cars. Not worth it to me otherwise.

The only other potential issue is I am using CD-RW. Should I only be using CD-R?

I will keep playing with it but this stuff gets frustrating after a point.

Thanks for your comments.

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Who do you use to download songs from that can play in a Viper/car?

I think I have found my problem and it is the download site I am using. They are doing something to the file that prevents me from burning it to play in the Viper/car. Figured this out with differnt SW to burn the audio CD. This new SW will not recognize the downloaded file from the site. Gives a bunch of reasons why, but I think it traces back to who I am using.

Recommendations on a site?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Use a CD-R only. Save them as Wav files (most software will save it that way when you specify you are creating a music CD) and make sure the CD session is closed. I use Nero and it works great for other CD players. I'm sure the Viper is the same.

Santo

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score

use ANY music burner software. just make sure you are using an audio CD-R, not one for pc data. This is the reason songs will or will not play in a Viper cd player.

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for the info on the CD-R versus RW. I will get some R's. However I am also concerned that if you download a "copy protected" song it will not record over. The current and only (for now) site I am using copies the files as "copy protected". Is that an issue?

My next question is:

Who do you use to download SONGS from?

Now I am also curious as to the lay description of the difference between a CD-R and CD-RW. From my "consumer" perspective, why the hell would the audio device care since it was copied as an audio burn?

Thanks again for the help.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The type of burner and/or CD can have an affect as well. I tried 3 different burners and 4 different brands of CDs. I couldn't get any of them to work in the Viper. Couple didn't even work in my home DVD player. However my Dad has been able to burn me 2 different CDs using his HP laptop on two different brands of CD, neither of which were big brand names. Of the various combinations of CD and burners I tried I had the best luck with verbatim but even the copies I made on them had some bad sections that wouldn't play right.

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Problem solved. The CD-RW worked in a 2005 Toyota and a RX8. However they would not work in the 02 Viper or 02 Lexus. Tried a CD-R and worked in the Viper. Using Music Match to download songs and Windows Media Player 10 to burn. Thanks for the help.