Burnout technique and issues

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I have my Mickey Thompson ET streets and rims, thanks to John Purner, and I've been doing some trial dry burnouts in the parking lot behind my building (much to the chagrin of my colleagues I'm sure). Anyway, it is pretty apparent to me that in order to stay planted while doing a burnout, I'm going to need to apply some brakes, even for a wet burnout. Conversations with some folks, including Tom Welch, have reinforced this.

So, as I understand it, I get the tires wet in the box, roll out of the box, wind up to a little under two grand, dump the clutch and immediately get on the brakes with my left foot while simultaneously easing onto the throttle. Sit and burnout until the car starts moving, then let off and stage. (As you can tell, I don't have line lock.)

(1) Does this sound right?
(2) How bad is this for the rear brakes? I know line lock would be ideal, but (a) it won't happen before Sunday (Palmdale with So Cal Rebell & crew), and (b) there are those who claim you don't need line lock.

Comments?

Oh, by the way, my BTRViper half shafts aren't coming until next week. I assume I'll be OK on stock GTS half shafts for one day (call it 6-7 runs). Is this a bad assumption?

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'm definitely going to the track on Sunday. I can do one of three things: (1) bring the Viper and run on the slicks, (2) bring the Viper and run on street tires, or (3) bring the Z06. As you can tell, I really want to do (1). It sounds from JonB's comments as if I should not do wet burnouts but just a dry hop to clean off the tires, and not launch aggressively. Assuming I don't want a ride from AAA back home. I have the half shafts on order, but as I said, they won't be here until next week, otherwise I'd run with the upgraded half shafts. Anyway, the question is, should I even bother with the slicks if I'm not going to do wet burnouts? Secondly, is JonB correct that I'm running a serious risk if I'm doing wet burnouts and launching at higher revs on stock half shafts for just one day at the track?

John Hennessey and Bullet488, thanks for your comments and help! JonB, thanks for the warning!

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I twisted a stock 1/2 shaft on MXX3's, so I think there should be some concern with them running the Mickey Thompsons.

Here's a formula to use.
You must be registered for see images

Mickey Thompsons + Stock 1/2 Shafts = Tow truck ride home

Play it safe for now and run the street tires then go back when you've got the new 1/2 shafts with the M.T.'s. Then you can see how much quicker you can get it to run.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom Lover:
Thanks, John. Since I won't have line lock for this Sunday but have already committed to joining some folks at Palmdale, I have one of two options: (1) power brake, or (2) do a dry hop and skip the water. Sounds like you recommend (1) over (2).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike --

It doesn't appear as if you will be making unlimited amounts of horse power. Therefore, I would suggest if you are concerned with breaking a shaft (I would be) see if someone can bring a spare shaft for you even if it's stock. I know somebody's got to have one in there back pocket.

If you do use the slicks, the DOT M/T's do need a good burn out to make them stick. Just don't try to break any records and leave easy until your new shafts arrive. If your not an experienced drag racer just let the car lug off the line and let the power work for you until you feel otherwise.

Keep us posted and best of luck --
Doug

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, John. Since I won't have line lock for this Sunday but have already committed to joining some folks at Palmdale, I have one of two options: (1) power brake, or (2) do a dry hop and skip the water. Sounds like you recommend (1) over (2).

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

John gave good advice. A few more things to keep in mind. If the tires are too dry and the clutch released too slow, the car will lunge forward or tire hop. Be quick to get the RPM's up and "use" the brake only to keep the car from moving. Otherwise, it's easy to stall or push out. Burnout's IN the water box tend to sling water up into the wheel wells that invariably drips back onto your slicks. Pulling out a few feet prevents this. Remember, take your time until YOUR satisfied. If it's busy then you may only get a few passes, if it's not then they can **** sure wait. Track officials cry when you take your time but make sure your comfortable. Cold wet slicks are no fun. If you can't get it this time, avoiding the water is better than running with cold AND wet slicks. One last thing, stay conservative with tire pressure until you know how your car / track will react. 15-16lbs cold initial, check after each run to maintain / adjust.
Good luck.
Scott W