Buy a NEW 2002 RT/10 or a USED GTS?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my best buddies is seriously looking at buying a factory dealer surplus stock RT/10 new. It will be registered as a 2004 car but is actually a 2002 converted by Chrysler into RHD in Australia.

He wanted a GTS but the last one sold.

He wants to know about the hardtop - does it leak?

It rains often in NZ and spending 150k on a car that leaks is not something he wants to do - he'd rather wait and get a used GTS.

Car was ticketed at NZ$256,000 along with GTS - last one left they're willing to cut it out around NZ$155,000 - which is a good buy in New Zealand for a Viper that will be registered new.

Any other problems or issues re owning an RT/10 with hardtop in a Northern CA/Southern Oregon coastal type climate - plenty of rain as well as sunshine, not too hot, not too cold.

Any upgrades highly recommended to improve known problems?

Thanks guys.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it rain alot, GTS all the way.

Only way to manage an RT in rain is with the hard top, and the vipers top is not designed to be put on and taken off very often. Shortly problems will start occuring, and soon the window fram will need to be replaced.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 02, my hardtop has not leaked yet. I drove through some major downpours to and from Texas back in September.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 RT/10 and drive it nearly every day and live in a climate that rains for 4 months! I'm on my second soft top (first one was destroyed when the service garage didn't put it on correctly and it blew off) and neither have ever had a drop of water in the car. So from my experience he should get an RT. I know there are sunny days in NZ too and when they happen, he'll be happy he can go *******!

Not to mention that an RT/10 is so much more "Viper" than a GTS! Flame on!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it rains Torq... GTS.....

It'll leak like a wet sock.... some more than others.. but oh well.... ;)

G

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Ray took it for a test drive yesterday - the dealership threw him the keys and told him to knock himself out....

silly beggars

hahahaha

Well, Ray called me last night

He got bit by the snake....

the venom has sunk in and the only cure is to buy the only known antedote - the snake itself.

The dealership has been great to deal with so looks like there'll be a new kiwi Viper owner shortly.

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should add here that some might remember a post I made late last year about how my best buddy's son got killed by a drunk driver, and what an inspiration this boy was to so many people in his short 20 year life....

His DREAM was to own a Viper after I introduced him to the Viper and then to the tuner versions.... it was THE car he wanted....

well Ray is his dad - and while his son is no longer here to see it - dad is going to live his sons dream, and is doing it in his memory

A father should never have to bury his only son - but this Viper will be for you Lawrence!

God bless you buddy when I see you again :2tu: