Buying my first viper and I need some opinions,

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope that I have finally found the ONE! The only thing that I have been able to think about for the last couple of years was a blue and white GTS. I am already financed through JJ Best and need only to pick one. This is where I need some help. Unfortunately I am not a rich man and I would hate to buy a viper and then have to shell out more money for repairs. That being said here it is. A 96' GTS,22k mi., new tires, beautiful inside and out, and extremely clean. The thing that makes me hesitant are the blue Hart wheels, belanger headers, and not sure on the kind of exhaust. Should these things be selling points or should I keep looking. I am getting this car because I want to drive it. Nothing crazy but maybe 6-8k miles a year. It is owned by a reputable VCA member. He is asking 46,900. vin# 1B3ER69E3TV200148.
Thanks

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would go for it belanger is a great brand as a matter of fact im saving to get what your car comes with now and it its a member i would go for it

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't care about a "bone-stock, all original parts" purchase, they are certainly selling points, since those are not cheap upgrades. To me, they are selling points, but then I don't care about bone-stock, all original parts, since I'd be making those upgrades anyway, and then some! But I'm just a duck, and have yet to purchase my first Viper. Still, that's my opinion, and how I look at it. :)

You must be registered for see images

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should emphasize one thing. Any " stock " Viper is still a beast. Even without upgrades, it is still one of the fastest, best handling things out there.

OP
OP
S

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that it has a GT2 wing on it. I like this one because it is color matched and makes it look even faster (is that possible?).

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How reputable a VCA member? Buying from a VCA member is a plus in my opinion. The typical VCA member browses this board and is aware of any problems and solutions to them. They typically take good care of their cars and treat them like family rather than simple pieces of machinery.

When I was shopping for my viper I wanted a completely stock vehicle. Now I sort of wish I had purchased one with an exhaust and headers. These are things I would like to do but am hesitant because I will eat 100% of the cost of these items when/if I sell the car. And like it or not, having modifications to a car brings the value down. Stereotype and quite often FACT - A modified car is an abused car. This can also be a double edged sword. Many people out there that enjoy modifying their cars, also enjoy keeping them as pristine as possible.

Quite frankly, it's nearly impossible to tell who is a good viper owner and who isn't. You can try to base things on age, wealth, etc...but it never truly works out. Take me for example. If I were selling my GTS and had an exhaust and headers on it I am sure you would be hesitant to purchase it. Why do I say this? Because I am a kid in many folks eyes (25 yrs old) and by no means independently wealthy. But in actuality I wash my car more than I drive it. Use the most expensive cleaning products and waxes I can get my hands on, and when working on my car, I take care not to even leave marks on bolts and screws I undo. I do everything by the book. I am 100% ANAL. On paper I don't look like a good viper owner, but in reality you would be hard pressed to get a car that is less than flawless from me.

Go with your gut, do some research on the individual and the car and make your decision. If you like it BUY IT! Headers and exhaust are nice things to have already on the car. In a month when you get that itch, you're gonna have a hard time dropping 1200 for an exhaust and 1500 for headers. Not to mention the couple weekends it's gonna take for you to install them.

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive got a minty 6800 mile blue and white coupe.its going to jason heffners for new head gaskets or timing cover this week.im going to have him tune it up also.sweet car for 49500let me know if your interested.i have online pics

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just buy an '02 with years of warranty for $55k and be done with your worries - drive it all you like and have piece of mind for the next 5 or 6 years on the powertrain

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Syclone,

I too am partial to the blue and white. The mods done to your prospective car are bolt-ons that can be changed at any time you wish. I personally would put headers and exhaust on that car as soon as I bought it so I think they are a plus. You can always pick up a cheap stock exhaust in case you wanted to go back to stock down the road. Most people agree that the stock exhaust leaves a lot to be desired. I would not think that these simple mods mean the car was not taken care of. If you like the car and it checks out by a current Viper owner or a certified tech I say "jump in, the waters fine."

Doc

OP
OP
S

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great input. I think I am going to go ahead and buy this car on Monday or Tuesday. I will get back with everyone on the outcome.

Martin

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pay a little bit more and buy the car from Speedshftr. You are paying a couple grand more(unless you work him down a bit :D ), but you are getting a pristine car from a club member with much lower miles, that is getting tuned up from one of the VCA's best tuners! :usa:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car`s background looks good. It has never been involved in any reported accident.

I just bought my 2000 GTS/ACR. You should check the following things:
- Check that all electrical devices are working properly.
- Check windows and door seels
- Engine doesn`t make noice when cold started
- Break rotors
- Ball joints
etc ...

OP
OP
S

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
andkovacs,

Thank you for looking up the background. That makes me feel much better

Casey,
If I could I would buy speedshftr's 96', but as it is I am allready having to put down a little more than 9k. I am trying to only finance 37k, So every grand or so over that comes out of the piggy bank.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte