CA Gas Guzzler Tax on new Vipers?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No. 12 - March 21, 2007

CALIFORNIA CONSIDERS TAXING "GAS GUZZLERS"

In a misguided attempt to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, legislation has been introduced in the California Assembly to establish a progressive purchase surcharge for some new motor vehicles based on state calculations of carbon emissions.

Depending on the vehicle purchased, this surcharge could require owners to pay up to $2,500 more for the vehicle. Funds collected under the program would be used in part to fund discounts for hybrids and electric cars. If this effort is successful, the effects on a consumer's ability to purchase the vehicle of your choice, not to mention vehicle safety, will be dramatic. For more information, visit www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62251. For details, contact Steve McDonald at [email protected].

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i could not live there, the place is full of way too many misguided "feel good" types. Californians can already thank Mr. Davis for some of(if not THE) highest energy costs in the country(thanks to the taxes on energy items) for gas, electric and water!!!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just paid a $2100 Federal GG Tax on my SRT8 Charger...The ROC (republic of California) is really off the deep end most of the time. Constitutionally guaranteed rights are even taken away in some cities there (ok, I won't start...sorry)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SEMA eNews, Vol. 10, No. 12 - March 21, 2007

CALIFORNIA CONSIDERS TAXING "GAS GUZZLERS"

In a misguided attempt to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, legislation has been introduced in the California Assembly to establish a progressive purchase surcharge for some new motor vehicles based on state calculations of carbon emissions.

Depending on the vehicle purchased, this surcharge could require owners to pay up to $2,500 more for the vehicle. Funds collected under the program would be used in part to fund discounts for hybrids and electric cars. If this effort is successful, the effects on a consumer's ability to purchase the vehicle of your choice, not to mention vehicle safety, will be dramatic. For more information, visit www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62251. For details, contact Steve McDonald at [email protected].

These are the same politicians the legalized “Medical Marijuana” in their state.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
$1000 ?? you only paid 1000 ?? I'm pretty sure its $3,000 !!
Jon

The federal gas guzzler was $3000 to all Vipers. This is a CA plan to add to CA tax coffers !

Remember the FED LUXURY TAX on Vipers 1996-2001 (all cars over $50,000)? We paid up to $3500 LUX TAX...expired 1/1/2001....plus the gas-guzzler

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah,

The weather is good here in So Kal, so you can drive your car year round. Also, you can make some dough......but the ideas some of the simpletons that live here, ARGH!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While your out working hard or enjoying your viper there are a lot of nitwits running the state. I guess the weather is so nice it you don't even notice that you don't get a reach around while you are getting it in the rear. It is more B.O.H.I.C.A. policies from the super-liberal left.

B---Bend
O---Over
H---Here
I---It
C---Comes
A---Again

Back-In-Black

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having lived in CA and now back in my shameful home state shared by Kerry and Kennedy I can tell you one thing I have solice in as I go through life with nitwit super left-wing moonbats....

I make my living renting office space to businesses that make thier living taking money primarily from liberal losers that make up almost 70% of the population in Taxachusetts.

In other words, as much as I hate those left wing mental cases, I can laugh at the fact they paid for my gas guzzling Viper!

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its just a purchase surcharge your lucky in the UK they just put our yearly car tax up to 600 dollars for guzzlers rising to 800 dollars per year in the following year.