Calabogie Viper Days - WHAT A WEEKEND !

Nick Majors

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a racer - I had what could only be described as a dream event. :drive:

- In qualifying, I broke the existing Calabogie track record.

- I won both the 30 minute and 50 minute races against all of the Viper Race League regulars.

- Along the way, I beat the track owner (Bruce Gregory) in his Porsche GT3 Cup car - twice! (he entered and ran with us in one of the open classes)

Special thanks to Skip and Courtney and the whole Viper Days crew for a wonderful weekend, to Fred Roberts & Direct Eneregy and all of the other sponsors, to Archer Racing for supplying some badly need parts, to everyone in Calabogie for the warm welcome, to all of the other racers who were wonderful to run with, to all of the Driving School participants and instructors who had a blast on the track - AND - all of the Viper Club members who were there cheering me on and congratulating us throughout the weekend.

I couldn't have done any of it without my crew chief Ian McQuillan and his team from Hockley Autosports. We have worked together for three years developing the car - and this event will always be remembered as a highpoint of our accomplishments.

Finally - to Bruce Gregory, who I fondly refer to as the face of Calabogie Motorsports Park - not only was he a wonderful host, and a great competitor on the track (he came second overall to me in both races) - BUT . . . after lapping with him on Friday, he spent some time discussing my line and offered several very helpful suggestions - that provided me with some major insights and helped me to break his track record and out run him for the weekend. Now that's the mark of a true champion - thanks Bruce ! :2tu:

========
Nick Majors
(aka Darth Viper)

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This was a FANTASTIC weekend!!!

If you missed it make sure you attend next year. We have Skips word that they are "Coming back to Canada". When you take a look at what a weekend racing school usually costs, and compare it to Viper Days, it’s an amazing value. And not only do you get the driving school, but you get to watch the racing as well along with so much more.

I still have a smile on my face thinking about my track time. My instructor Keith was great and took me from a 3:06 Saturday morning down to a 2:37 and a 2nd place in the Super Stock division by Sunday.

You'll not only learn allot about driving your car better, but also about the Viper itself. How to maintain it better and what weaknesses to look for. It was nice to have Tom Sessions go over my car and make sure it was track ready. When I found out I had the wrong brake pads, I simply drove 100ft over to Archer racing and John Archer had the right pads installed for me in 1 hour. These guys have been working on Vipers for 14 years and it was great to pick their brains and get their advice on what works and what doesn’t work. I know I’ll be emailing John before I make any more decisions about my car.

Skip is a larger than life kind of fella who has a big cigar going even at 8am and told me I was “Doing great” every time he saw me and was clapping for me every time I came off the track. I honestly think he had as much fun as we did. Courtney and the whole staff put on a first class and very professional event.

I met some great people and it was nice how we all came together as friends over the weekend.

Things I’ll remember:

- Drink water… lots of it!!!
- Don’t believe everything you read on the internet
- 4 hours of track time in 2 days takes allot out of you, but it’s perfect.
- Finally going flat out around corner 4
- Realizing that the slower you move the faster your car goes
- Realizing that my car is damn fast and I have to respect that.
- Squealing tires are happy tires.
- Sitting outside my motel room Saturday night with the motel owners and some other Viper Days people up from the USA just sitting around shooting the breeze.
- Being very proud and very happy with my 2:37, but knowing I’ll beat it next year…lol

Like I said if you have a chance to attend next year, sign up early. It will be the highlight of your driving summer!!!

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a racer - I had what could only be described as a dream event. :drive:

- In qualifying, I broke the existing Calabogie track record.

- I won both the 30 minute and 50 minute races against all of the Viper Race League regulars.

- Along the way, I beat the track owner (Bruce Gregory) in his Porsche GT3 Cup car - twice! (he entered and ran with us in one of the open classes)

Special thanks to Skip and Courtney and the whole Viper Days crew for a wonderful weekend, to Fred Roberts & Direct Eneregy and all of the other sponsors, to Archer Racing for supplying some badly need parts, to everyone in Calabogie for the warm welcome, to all of the other racers who were wonderful to run with, to all of the Driving School participants and instructors who had a blast on the track - AND - all of the Viper Club members who were there cheering me on and congratulating us throughout the weekend.

I couldn't have done any of it without my crew chief Ian McQuillan and his team from Hockley Autosports. We have worked together for three years developing the car - and this event will always be remembered as a highpoint of our accomplishments.

Finally - to Bruce Gregory, who I fondly refer to as the face of Calabogie Motorsports Park - not only was he a wonderful host, and a great competitor on the track (he came second overall to me in both races) - BUT . . . after lapping with him on Friday, he spent some time discussing my line and offered several very helpful suggestions - that provided me with some major insights and helped me to break his track record and out run him for the weekend. Now that's the mark of a true champion - thanks Bruce ! :2tu:

========
Nick Majors
(aka Darth Viper)

Congrats I heard you were spectacular.
Impressive to say the least.
Patrick

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wish I would have been able to make this event. Skip and Cortney are some Great People! The whole Viper Days Support Crew is Top Shelf! I will Be there Next Year, (Conflicting schedule this year. Why Do I not see any vipers at Watkins Glenn NY you know it the NASCAR TRACK? Trackmasters runs some nice DE days threr but they fill up fast! WOuld like to have some company on the track kicking Vet a$$! Only kidding All cars are welcome it is Just Great Fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang