Can driving on a flat tire set a Check Engine Light from the ABS? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got in my car after letting it sit for 2-3 days ( I have been driving it daily ) and noticed I had a flat tire.

Well, my lighter wasnt working so I couldnt use my portable air compressor.

I drove it 1 mile up the road and my check engine light came on.

Could the ABS pick up the difference in tire/wheel diameter and throw a Check Engine Code or would an ABS light more likely come on (if there is one)?

I will hook up my SCT scanner and check the code once I get time, but was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction before then.

Its a 2001 GTS, thanks :) ---

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I bet that you will find that the code is an ABS code, (depending on how flat the tire was). However, I had a flat on the rear of my '02 GTS that I did not see before I drove the car to work. I noticed the bad handling behavior part way there and drove the final 2 miles with the tire very low. It never did set off the check engine light. The tire was low enough that I overheated the sidewall and basically rendered the tire unsafe for future use.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, there are several potential codes that COULD be set from speed sensor problem...around 5 for a 2001 Viper...as per the 2001 Service Manual.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I threw the tone wheel off my car last summer and got and ABS light, the code indicated a bad wheel speed sensor. I'm sure you would have gotten an ABS light and not an engine light for the wheel speed sensor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude