Can You Put a Quick-Fill Cap on RT/10, Like the GTS or SRT?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed somewhere, but I have seen a few Chrysler products (and Mustang) that have nice polished gas cap fillers. The one on the Dodge Ram or SRT would, IMO, look pretty cool on an RT.:headbang: Nobody makes one that would just bolt in, though one company makes a "stick-on" piece...not cool.:nono:

Has anyone looked into this and, if so, what happened with it?:dunno:

Thanks.

Peter

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS one looks like a wart on an RT-10 but the Gen3 would look nice ... Would like to get hold of one to have a play..But there a lot of $$s to find out in wont work..

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Baz, the Gen III one is the one I like....sits on the upper side of the right rear quarter and has a slight curve to it.... similar to the RT. Also, I recall seeing one on the Dodge Ram RT, which might also fit.

Ahhh, AC Cobra, Fast....we have three in town, still one of my all-time favorite cars.

But, correct, not looking for the cap like a GTS...would stick out and sit too high. The look of a nice polished cover like the Gen III, I think, would look very cool.

Thanks.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen3 coupe looks good... Thats the one i was meaning sorry......

[media]http://www.cartype.com/pics/5239/full/dodge_viper_srt10_coupe_gas-cap_06.jpg[/media]

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz, that one is really nice too....either one, wonder if anyone has taken the time to measure and figure out if this can actually fit in the gas fill area on the RT.:dunno:

Anyone?:eater:

Thanks...cheers.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I actually spoke with the guy from gunslinger products at the Mopar Nationals this year. (The guy that makes the pistol grip shifter handle for our cars) and he said that he was working on such an animal to bolt on to our cars and or clip in. He has been traveling and hasn't made any headway on it yet but I would expect by next summer we should have an answer.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised with all the RT's around, that someone hasn't tried to make one...like MGW billet aluminum. They made a logo cap for the GTS, why not the RT? Also, what about Sean, how come Roe Engineering didn't take a shot at it or at least ask the VCA to see how much interest there would be.

Sometimes, I think the RT is kind of pushed to the side in favor of the GTS....no, not sour grapes, I think the GTS is great...I just own an RT.

Thanks.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm guessing this didn't muster alot of interest...not sure why with so many RT owners.:nono:

Well, hopefully someone will design one.
:eater:
Thanks anyway.:headbang:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would defintely be interested. Years back on my Gen1 I had purchased the AC-Cobra looking cap that stuck out lik on the GTS.... I never ended up installing it, i sold it to Joseph Dell on this site, not sure if he ever installed, but i would love to get a nice cap......I am in...

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay....look what I found, a VCA member who actually has an RT/10 with a polished aluminum quick fill gas cap!:2tu:

Check it out:

HOT 94 - ViperClub Photo Gallery

Haven't managed to find a closer shot, but maybe (if the owner is still on here), we can get some better pics and information as to what it is and how that was done.

DMC94

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
IF I remember correctly, that was an example of an applique placed over the stock door.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it? I couldn't tell, but it looked like the lip was silver...but I could be wrong.

Oh well, if nothing else, it does show that a polished aluminum gas cap does look nice without being overdone.

Now, if someone would only try making one.:eater:

DMC94

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
As someone who bought and installed a 'Cobra-type' cap for my 94 years ago (when they were available) - I'm kinda of surprised there is still interest. Most of the times this comes up, the term Viper 'wart' of something similiar pops up and the thread dies. As a fan of the original Cobra who even has Shelby's autograph of the glovebox door, I STILL like my gas cap especially as engraved by the GREAT people at Zero Altitude Flight.

Attachments

• Viper pix 10-2006 005.jpg
    Viper pix 10-2006 005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 30
  • Viper pix 10-2006 014.jpg
    Viper pix 10-2006 014.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Viper pix 10-2006 015.jpg
    Viper pix 10-2006 015.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought the quick-fill caps used on Cobras and like cars was very cool. I recall them being used on older racing Vettes as well. Clearly, its a matter of personal taste, but I for one do like the look.

Of the two styles, I would probably go for the flat cap like the one on the SRT. Surprised, especially after the SRT had one as factory equipment, that some company didn't decide to offer one for the RT.:dunno: Sean Roe or Snake Oyl I could see offering this type of cap...most especially with all the performance equipment Roe Racing has designed for the Viper. Would add a nice touch of uniqueness to the car.

Just my opinion.:headbang:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the GTS cap fitted to Rocky's Monster Miata. Looks pretty good to me! Why couldn't it be made to look as good on the RT/10?

DSC01693.JPG

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree...that actually looks nice. I thought in previous posts that the GTS cap wouldn't fit an RT.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about an Audi TT (2000)
Saw one this morning looked good..

This is polished but would look good stock and looks flat....

[media]http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/329/4601/25822300069_large.jpg[/media]

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Baz.....good find. Guess the issue (besides flat) is the diameter of the outside ring.

Thanks.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!!

Baz....what do you think. Nice fit.

So, Carguy, you're going to paint it to match the car? I sorta like the polished aluminum look, especially since you have (looks like) silver stripes.

Any information you can provide us on what it is, how installation was, any mods required, etc....would be great.:2tu:

Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checked out the link for Jay Herbert's paint job....really nice work. Unfortunately, there is no mention of the gas cap, as he is really focused on detailing the paint process.

Does anyone know Jay Herbert and if he still is in the VCA?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like it too. If you find out more about it please post.

Jays_installed_GT_gas_cap.jpg
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the details. For me, that is more than I am willing to do....body work/painting. :(

I know that is unrealistic to assume something would just fit well enough to bolt in somehow, but I do not want to make changes to the original...always being able to take it off and put the original pieces back on if I desired.:nono: That is what I thought (possibly) when I was looking for/at the Dodge Ram SRT cap. But, for what it's worth, I really like the cap that is on Jay Herbert's car (did he ever finish the car?).

So, if that is what it takes, then I will have to just forget about this mod and look for other things to do.:eater:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that it's to much to do to an undamaged rear quarter but, god forbid, if repairs become necessary..... NIce looking mod IMO.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed! I definitely see at as a must do mod if, for some reason, you damage the pass rear quarter. Bought my car with like 5300 miles last May and currently have (just turned) 6400. I don't drive it much too preserve its "newness". Have two other cars, so no need to use for any reason other than personal pleasure. Did take it to OCC event last year, was a great time!

Not looking to change anything original on the car...I bought it for its low mileage and bone stock condition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang