can't get my oem cat's off!!!! please help

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can\'t get my oem cat\'s off!!!! please help

I just received my Corsa track 3" exhaust, But I am still waiting on my random tech High flow cats. I was told that my new cats will take place of the 4 oem cats currently in place. Well I got the factory exhaust out with the help of Ab's how to thread. But cant figure out how to get the cats off, I have undone the 2 bolts for the cat hanger's, I have also undone the bolt/clamp right at the factory header, there is this weird clamp around the header and cat, how do I get that off. Thanks TT

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: can\'t get my oem cat\'s off!!!! please help

If your talking about what Im thinking,then its just a clamp with a threaded bolt/nut. It takes a little bit to get too. Use a flash light and be patient,I may have even had to use a wrench on one. i cant remeber.But they come off fairly easy,agin be patient and take your time.

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ive got the nut and bolt completely off, but the cat wont move because of the flex joint.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

once you take the nut/bolt out that tightens the clamp, you have to pry the three "V" sections inside the clamp off of the pipe- they are squeezed inward towards the pipe and pull the lip towards the header. A big flat end screwdriver works well- pry at the corners.

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

here is a quick pic of my problem, this is right at the factory header.

P1010003.JPG

OP
OP
T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

once you take the nut/bolt out that tightens the clamp, you have to pry the three "V" sections inside the clamp off of the pipe- they are squeezed inward towards the pipe and pull the lip towards the header. A big flat end screwdriver works well- pry at the corners.

that did it Dan, thanks for your help :2tu: are these bands reusable or do new ones come with the kit. Or do I need to go buy new ones at the dealer?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

They are supposedly not reusable... but I'll be damned if I havent seen NEW ones leak more on occasion than re-used ones. I generally give them a shot before tossing new ones on. An embrittled used one will snap upon torquing... and I have only had it happen once. Only thing to watch out for is torque spec... 100 inch pounds on the nut, no more. DO NOT TORQUE ANY EXHAUST BOLTS THAT ARE HOT!

New ones will not be in the kit, thats a dealer item. But, I say try putting them back on first. The lips on RT cats are thicker than OEM, you should have no sealing issues. Worst case, the bolt is embrittled and snaps... then buy a new one if need be.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Final is quite correct. I have always reused them on the vipers we have done with no leak problems. You need to really take your time and try not to expand the clamp any more than needed to get the cat off. We have found that if you remove the nut and tee bolt completely it helps. Then I use a long screwdriver and a hammer and tap all around the clamp to break loose the rust that holds it in place. Then I use my hands to spread the clamp just enough to slide it up over the exhaust manifold flange and then remove the old cat. Installing the new cats is a little more of a hassle as it is hard to keep them lined up when attempting to install the clamps. I have found that if you prop up the cat with blocks of wood to keep them lined up it really helps. Ind of hard not to get cut up on this job as it is really tight in there. By the way, when I reinstall the clamps, tee bolts, and nuts I make sure the nuts are facing downward so I can get onto the nut with a socket and an extension.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any time I break that seal I use a muffler sealer, putty, on the joint. It will never leak. Also use it on any joint period. It makes the parts slip together easier and won't leak on minor defects. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960