Car and Driver 2013 Viper Photo

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone remember when the "F-19 Stealth Fighter" was still tightly under wraps in the late 80s? People were scrambling, trying to come up with what it looked like:

You must be registered for see images

And obviously, as history shows, they were all not only off the mark, but pretty considerably so. Here's what it actually was:

I look at the Viper concepts the same way. People talk out of their posteriors because they're paid to.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at the Viper concepts the same way. People talk out of their posteriors because they're paid to.

Ands we listen. Desperately. Begging for some little tidbit of info no matter where it comes from. I myself am willing to wait for the New York auto show. Whether or not one car magazine beats the others to print a correct photo makes no difference to me.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, what a tought crowd! I thougt the above rendering looked pretty good. What will the car weigh? It doesn't need much hp more than the Ford's 650 - that's in a 4000 lb car! Turbo V8 - I can see a turbo 6.4 generating more hp than a V10 but it may weigh more. That 800 hp V10 is a race motor, not street. Not wild about the mult-displacement though or auto-shutoff - I want to hear the car idle - all eight or ten cylinders. The $95K price tag mentioned would be a nice surprise - considering the talk about 130 plus, not that the average guy is going to run out and buy one.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Chrysler's multi-displacement system (cylinder shutdown)" ?????? You better be joking. If they put that into the Viper I will personally ************ every member of the SRT team.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Chrysler's multi-displacement system (cylinder shutdown)" ?????? You better be joking. If they put that into the Viper I will personally ************ every member of the SRT team.

MDS isn't BAD, until you put a different exhaust on a car that has MDS (SRT8's primarily) then you really get some serious exhaust drone that everyone complains about, V8's **** when it comes to MDS cause then they 'bog' and sound like a Honda 4-cyl at cruising speed. You don't get a whole lot more mpg's than a car without it but that all depends how you drive. I don't think it'll happen to the Viper but in the Vipers case I really don't think it'll be all to different since most 5-cyl motors sound like a V10 anyway.

For instance the Chevy Colorado with the 3.5L-3.7L I-5 motor.

http://youtu.be/BNHw1vV2Hac
http://youtu.be/b_gXx9vT-S0

Volvo T5 (although it sounds more like a gallardo to me)
http://youtu.be/1eq9NTDL7jc

--RS

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MDS requires an automatic transmission, according to the engineers I've talked to. Since there's no automatic transmission planned for the Viper, MDS won't make it. Not to mention the production volume is probably going to be around 1000 cars, so even if the viper got 3 mpg, it wouldn't have a drastic effect on CAFE ratings.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C&D also has a 25 cars worth waiting for in this months issue. The #1 car to wait for is the new Viper (picture used was the one used for the prior article.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
C&D also has a 25 cars worth waiting for in this months issue. The #1 car to wait for is the new Viper (picture used was the one used for the prior article.

I also read in that, and in this article .......

"... a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic (TRANSMISSION) is under development."

Interesting. Maybe this is what they meant by "appealing to a wider ranger of customers"