Car dies when stopping

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a simular problem start a few weeks ago. Last week the car wouldn't start at all. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Car is at the dealer right now getting a new one put in. I'm thinking this should solve the problem.

UPDATE: I've had my car back a while now from the dealer after they changed the fuel pump. Haven't had a problem since.

Bill

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Reset PCM > TEST for Awhile (continue to step 2 if not fixed)
2) Replace IAC > TEST for Awhile (continue to step 3 if not fixed)
3) Replace MAP > TEST for Awhile (continue to step 4 if not fixed)
4) Replace Fuel Pump & Filter > TEST for Awhile (continue to step 5 if not fixed)
5) Replace PCM with a spare '96 > TEST for Awhile

those are the steps I would follow, if still not resolved post back here

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BruceW:

What was wrong with the fuel pump that showed up at idle and not at partial or wot. I'm having a problem following that logic. If you could tell us what they found wrong with the pump it might answer a lot of questions for a bunch of people. You definitely have my interest.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B,
It wasn't just at idle, sometimes I would be cruising at partial throttle. It would just die, I would turn off the key and then on and it would usually just start right up. It's not what I usually expect from a fuel pump so I thought it might be the alarm system shutting off the relay, after I bypassed the relay it kept happening so it had to be the pump. The tech didn't tear apart the old pump but I can only guess that that an electrical connection somewhere in it went funky.

Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 rt and I have been keeping up with this forum because mine Occasionally dies as well or will drop idle really low, I have tried every thing, but new plugs and wires. No one can find any codes on mine either, have replaced battery, airfilters, cleaned iac valve, resinked throttle cables, ect. It is an annoying thing and I wish I could find out what was wrong with mine as well.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a scan tool and watch the O2 sensor voltage at idle. They get lazy near end of life. If the voltage rises and stays above 1 volt or does not go down to zero on deacceleration you have a bad O2.

Idle is maintained by the O2 sensor input to the injectors, timing and the IAC. The problem lies with one of them. The IAC is a multiple coil device. An intermittant failure in one coil will also affect the idle and is almost impossible to diagnose.