Car washing Woes

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everytime I wash my car there is drip that goes comes from underneath and around the drivers side mirror all the way down the door. Thats not the problem but it almost seems as if the rubber black base of the mirror is giving off some sort of residue that when it drips down with the water it makes an unsightly chalky drip mark down the entire door that wont go away. It seems as if it is getting worse. It only happens on the Driver side. I am doing my best to describe what the scenario is but it has me baffled and I'm about to take some steal wool to it as it has me so angry. Oh yeah and it doesnt go away when I wash it. Any ideas????

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you using on your car?

If you'd use Meguiars Quick Clay System, you should get rid of the markings on the door. It works with petrol drippings as well.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you swing the mirror in after washing you can blow out that drain hole a little better..

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it has alot to do with washing with hard water. When it is running and drying along a concentrated area...it will leave mineral trails.

I use a CR Spotless water de-ionizing filter to wash a rinse. This allows you to not even have to dry the car.

You could use a leaf blower (electric) only or compressed are to blow that area out to avoid the streaks. I use Zaino's Z8 after every wash and that seems to keep the surface slick enough that most things like that wipe off.

Hard water spots can be tough to remove if allowed to dry.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard that you can use Vinegar and a cotton-ball to remove mineral stains from hard water. Test in an inconspicuous area first, of course, but I've heard of this being done before. Kinda like rinsing out an old coffee maker.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They also swing OUT toward the front of the car as well. I'm not sure which drains better, but I also use the leaf blower method. Direct the blower at the mirrors, hood vents, and around the rear glass (if a GTS) first which is where most of the stray water seems to hide.

If you have a good wax job, you should be able use a plain hose with no spray attachment turned on about 1/2 way and just hold it about 12" above the car, starting at the top and working your way down, and let the stream wash away all the small droplets. If you are causing splashes and creating more fine droplets the water is on too hard. Follow it up with a slightly moist micro-fiber towel.

OP
OP
W

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it has alot to do with washing with hard water. When it is running and drying along a concentrated area...it will leave mineral trails.

I use a CR Spotless water de-ionizing filter to wash a rinse. This allows you to not even have to dry the car.

You could use a leaf blower (electric) only or compressed are to blow that area out to avoid the streaks. I use Zaino's Z8 after every wash and that seems to keep the surface slick enough that most things like that wipe off.

I often do use a leaf blower, but what has me baffled is that it only happens on the drivers side. The trail goes down the side of the car, and never wants to go away. It can be felt if I run my finger accross it, and almost feels like it can be scratched off, but doesnt. There is a small chaulky ring around the black base where the mirror attaches to the car. Seems that when wet, this residue runs down with the water. What can be used to remove this, is the vinegar idea safe??

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I often do use a leaf blower, but what has me baffled is that it only happens on the drivers side. The trail goes down the side of the car, and never wants to go away. It can be felt if I run my finger accross it, and almost feels like it can be scratched off, but doesnt. There is a small chaulky ring around the black base where the mirror attaches to the car. Seems that when wet, this residue runs down with the water. What can be used to remove this, is the vinegar idea safe??

That's definitely mineral build up. Clay-bar may or may not take that off, but a mild mineral solvent (like vinegar) should do the trick. As for why it only happens on the drivers side, it could be that rubber seal on the other side is tight enough that water isn't getting in from the top and draining out the bottom?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's definitely mineral build up. Clay-bar may or may not take that off, but a mild mineral solvent (like vinegar) should do the trick. As for why it only happens on the drivers side, it could be that rubber seal on the other side is tight enough that water isn't getting in from the top and draining out the bottom?

[/QUOTE]

That really makes sense as the driver door is the one that is most used and constant closing of the door may have loosened that mirror a bit.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
When I finish washing a Viper (any Generation), I do use a leaf blower on the mirrors as well...THEN, I slip a folded paper towel into the space between the actual mirror and the painted housing...then I wrap 2 paper towels around the base of the mirror assembly...and when I remove the towels the next day there are no drips and no stains. I REALLY enjoy working on Vipers...but I really HATE to wash them!!

OP
OP
W

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tried the clay bar and that did not work, but I'm going to go try the vinegar idea right now as I am now on a mission. I never thought of the idea that the mirror may be somewhat looser from opening and closing the driver side door. thanks guys

OP
OP
W

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It worked. Used some vinegar and a cotton ball and after about 5 minutes of rinse and repeat it came out. Can't believe I've been driving around for a year with that disgusting mineral drip down the side if my car. Thanks again!!!!!

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Taillighht & mirror drips are the worse. I feel ya, man. After washing a car (just about any car), it never fails that water will drip down even after a few days have past...and it always comes from the mirrors or taillights.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It worked. Used some vinegar and a cotton ball and after about 5 minutes of rinse and repeat it came out. Can't believe I've been driving around for a year with that disgusting mineral drip down the side if my car. Thanks again!!!!!

Glad to help. Works on water spots too. I've heard of guys using vinegar and water to wash a badly water spotted car. Smells like poo, but it gets the job done. Don't forget to wax!!!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once I've rinsed the car and pulled it into the garage, I lift the hood and fold the mirrors towards the front of the car (glass facing away from the car) while I dry it. Once the car is dry, I use a shop vac to pull any remaining water out of the mirrors and the mirror support, the grilles on the hood, the area between the sill cover and the interior sill and the taillights. I've found the eliminates most of not all of the kind of drips you're complaining about.

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the Spot-Free Car Wash system you buy at KMart or Walmart actually work?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala