Carroll Shelby

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a all Shelby show at the Volo Auto Museum this June and the wife are already registered for this event, we will be taking our KR down. But my question is this; what role did Carroll Shelby have in the design or build process of the Viper? If you go to the Volo website, it says that the show is open to all Shelby cars including GT40's and Vipers. I guess I am a little confused and thought somebody here could clear this up for me. Thanx!

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He helped convince lutz that going with the viper project was a good idea. That, i think and dont quote me on this, was his biggest influence on the project.

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS sure looks like a cousin next to the Shelby Daytona Coupe, of which only 6 were produced

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
For a modest fee, you can buy a big, paper image of Carrol, and set it by whatever car you are hawking, and claim his involvement. Sometimes he even leans on the hood, but that will cost you more.

[satire off]

I love the man Carrol Shelby, he is one of my automotive heros. And thats no satire!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But didn't Brock design the Daytona Coupe?

You should ask some of the early Viper team guys how much involvement Shelby had. From what I heard it was more of a consultant role on a macro scale. Wasn't that also the time period when he was going through heart surgery.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The GTS sure looks like a cousin next to the Shelby Daytona Coupe, of which only 6 were produced

Superformance has a new Daytona Replica that REALLY looks like the GTS. $100,000 kit car with a ford motor, but if they ever come up with a 488 version that will be my next new car... eventually...

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting guys, thanx for the responses. I always though Carroll was strickly a "ford" man. So when I am down in Volo at the car show, would it be out of line to take the glove box door off of my Viper and have him sign it?

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4382002.JPG

438200.JPG

4382001.JPG

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I heard it was more of a consultant role on a macro scale. Wasn't that also the time period when he was going through heart surgery.

I believe you are correct. Shelby had his heart transplant around '90/'91, during the heavy development work by Team Viper. He was well enough to drive the pace car (still very much a prototype) at the '92 Indy 500. I remember watching TV on pole day when Carl Haas almost showed more interest in the Viper than his race cars.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the back up info Dean. Memories fade over a 15+ year period and it is difficult to keep things straight. I would bet few were directly aware of the interface between Shelby, Iaccoca and Lutz but themselves.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the back up info Dean. Memories fade over a 15+ year period and it is difficult to keep things straight. I would bet few were directly aware of the interface between Shelby, Iaccoca and Lutz but themselves.

Ron,

We both know (you--probably many more)several of the original Team Viper guys and Shelbys role in the building of the car appears to have been minimal. Inspiration yes---connected to Lutz and Iacocca and able to help push the project ahead, yes. The original protoype was finished in December of 1989 with a 360 V8 in it. The V-10 truck engine was already in the works to be produced and created the impetus for a V-10 Viper engine. I actually think the clay model Shelby sent from California was mothballed and never used. He had changed to many things from the original model that had been sent to him to work on. It was not compatible with other components being designed, already done, or being worked on. I think his involement ended about then. The original Team Viper worked long and tirelessly to achieve the Gen I car on a very small budget and very tight time frame.

There is no doubt that Carroll Shelby is a living legend in the automotive world, and rightfully so, but I believe his actual involvement with the Viper was limited to getting the project off the ground in the very beginning.

Steve

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will sign your glove box for a $200 donation to the children's organ transplant charity. I had him sign my GT350 at the Shelby owner's track event this year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960