CATs removed on Gen II - check in!!

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a 97 GTS with Belanger cold air intake and CORSA CAT BACK system. Sounds great but looking to get the sound a bit deeper. Considering Headers of course but that is a bit pricey for me right now. What difference will removing the CATS or replacing them with high flow CATS make in terms of performance and sound?

BTW, I read about tons of you guys removing CATS on this forum. Is there (should there) concerns over emissions!? I guess most dont have a sniff test??

Any info / advice (PRO / CON) you have would be appreciated.

Thnx!!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have headers,high flows,corsa. Remove cats is way loud but cooler sill temps etc. Had it that way for a couple of years. Got Jon B high flows. Still cool. Quieter. No performance loss. Far louder than stock. Corsa is exotic high pitched sound. Cats don't affect tone too much. GTS Bruce

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the R/T High Flow Cats with the Corsa cat back system and I love the sound. Runs cool and sounds great!! We don't have sniff tests here but I hear the R/T's run clean. About performance you gain a little, nothing earth-shattering. Sound is subjective so try to find some of your local Viper owners and listen to their setups and see if it's what you're looking for.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have to have cats...can't go cat-less, so we've removed 2, left 2 with the hi-flo...same as you, vicj: Corsa Track Cat-Back...but we also have B&B Stepped Headers (pricey indeed, and not much gain for HP, but sounds awesome with the Corsa!). BTW: If you PM any of the moderators (kcobean/y2k5srt/lee00blacksilver/citysnake) with your VIN#, you can be upgraded to Viper Owner!
We LOVE the '97 GTS...any pics? Our Viper when starting 'er up, SHAKES the whole house!!! THAT is the sound we love~~~~! Good Luck on your decisions! ~juli

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Belanger headers, NO cats, Corsa cat track exhaust and Roe S/C. It's freaking LOUD. Shakes the house and rattles the neighbors windows when I start it in my garage. :rolaugh:

I love it. :eater:

97 gts vettslayr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no cats with B&B 3" exhaust on my 97 gts, it's loud and sounds awesome. In Maryland we have to go to emisions every 2 years and every time I've taken mine they won't even let me pull up. They tell me to walk inside and they give me a notorized waiver that exempts me from the emisions. They said they don't want to take any chance of something going wrong and them being held liable. The best part is I don't have to pay anything for the test because they didn't do one!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no cats with B&B 3" exhaust on my 97 gts, it's loud and sounds awesome. In Maryland we have to go to emisions every 2 years and every time I've taken mine they won't even let me pull up. They tell me to walk inside and they give me a notorized waiver that exempts me from the emisions. They said they don't want to take any chance of something going wrong and them being held liable. The best part is I don't have to pay anything for the test because they didn't do one!

1) You're still listed as an enthusiast...you can send your VIN# to the moderators to get upgraded to Viper Owner!!! (citysnake/kcobean/lee00blacksilver/y2k5srt)
2) We HAVE to be hooked up here in NY State for inspection to the motor vehicle dept. for emissions...therefore we cannot go without cats. Our setup is loud enough that it shakes the whole house when started up in the garage...we love it!!! ~juli

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Borla full 3" with headers and no cats
love it!
but it is loud
if you go on long trips or have cops that don't like loud cars then really think over your decision because you will be much louder than stock

BTW, no emissions testing here

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Emissions....What's that.

On my ACR (on the exhaust side) I have nothing other than headers and a pair of glass packs on the rear. It's Loud...REAL loud. But it's also a very GOOD sound.

You can hear it here. YouTube - ACR viper vs. Viper GTS

You can't even hear that Roe S/C GTS next to me.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about a gassy smell from behind? Can that be taken care of with a good tune? My car would REAAAKKK...so I put on Hi-flows...but now I am considering going back to no cats.

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check your rear vents each side of the tail lights had the same problem fixed the vents no smell. Real sound!

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bellanger headers--NO cats three inch pipes----NO smell. I did fill up with race fuel once in my old 95-- now THERE"S a good smell!!!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3" Corsa track exhaust, no cats. It doesn't just start - it explodes into life! Hurt neighbors ears so now I make sure that door is open upon intial start up. I also fixed my air vents to remove the smell in the car. With the Roe sc I cruise at 1200-1400rpm and the exhaust is quiet. Drone over 2000rpm. I posted a couple vids on youtube and vipertube.

No cats often creates check engine lights that re-occur, even with the sims. Can't run no cats without sims.

Ted

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Borla cat back and when I got the car it had the high flow cats in it. It sounded great but I was wanting more so I tried it with no cats and it sounds way better but you do get a little more drone in the car at high rpms. I dont notice the smell at all as I never run it while sitting in the garage.

DDlesk06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to be a noob... what vents are you guys referring to?:dunno: I get a strong exhaust smell in my cabin... would like to fix :eater:.... '97 GTS

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to be a noob... what vents are you guys referring to?:dunno: I get a strong exhaust smell in my cabin... would like to fix :eater:.... '97 GTS

In the rear sides of the trunk to allow air to vent from the cabin when closing the door. Dunno if an RT/10 has them, as you have no roof sometimes, but GTS's do have them.

http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/591434-fixing-air-exhauster-vents-pics-included-bad-ones-cause-exhaust-smell.html

Mine are in fine shape and I get an exhaust smell if I get on it with the windows down. Could be a leak that will get fixed when I yank all of the OE system out next month. Meanwhile, drive with the windows up in the GTS I do.