Changed the oil...

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand you guys are attempting humor, but if you keep it up I'm actually going to make a post on how to properly start the Viper. ;) :D

THERE ya go!!!! :headbang: Now you see how things work around here (most of the time!)...you will ALWAYS get beef (beefcake?!!!! JULI..stop it!:nono:)...when you post ANYTHING on here! GOOD for you for keeping your humor! (It's needed here, but NOT anything like the ALLEY...DON'T GO THERE :omg::omg::omg:) ~juli;)

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THERE ya go!!!! :headbang: Now you see how things work around here (most of the time!)...you will ALWAYS get beef (beefcake?!!!! JULI..stop it!:nono:)...when you post ANYTHING on here! GOOD for you for keeping your humor! (It's needed here, but NOT anything like the ALLEY...DON'T GO THERE :omg::omg::omg:) ~juli;)

I do get it, and I understand how it works. The new guy made a post that was relatively simple, but yet will still help some people, and the experienced members took the time to rag on it instead of saying something productive, or nothing at all. It's all good - I see it all the same on my forum.

While it is all fun and games, it somewhat creates a divide in the community (which I have seen already in just a week of being here), and changes the tone of the forums a bit and makes some poeple get defensive and confrontational.

But, what do I know. It's not like I do this for a living. ;) :cool:

- Anthony

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do get it, and I understand how it works. The new guy made a post that was relatively simple, but yet will still help some people, and the experienced members took the time to rag on it instead of saying something productive, or nothing at all. It's all good - I see it all the same on my forum.
While it is all fun and games, it somewhat creates a divide in the community (which I have seen already in just a week of being here), and changes the tone of the forums a bit and makes some poeple get defensive and confrontational.
- Anthony

Anthony: Your post was instructional, as intended...and yeah, you'll always get people who would LOVE to rag on ya (they do it to me all the time...). If ya keep your sense of humor and disregard any negativity...you will truly be an awesome asset here...we NEED people like you...and I thank you for taking the time to illustrate/describe what you did with the oil....sorry I didn't chime in earlier to say so...my bad. :cool: ~juli
(I learned a while ago, NOT to get defensive/confrontational...just blow those people off...you'll never change some people's opinions anyway! Stay COOL~:cool:)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

- Anthony

Anthony, one of the great features of this site is the Ignore List...its just a wonderful thing. Keep the How-To's coming...it doesn't matter how obvious they may be to some people but the How-To's do appeal to a broad majority here. Not sure if you can see the Illustrated Upgrades section but we certainly encourage members to post their how-to's and keep that library growing.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony, one of the great features of this site is the Ignore List...its just a wonderful thing. Keep the How-To's coming...it doesn't matter how obvious they may be to some people but the How-To's do appeal to a broad majority here. Not sure if you can see the Illustrated Upgrades section but we certainly encourage members to post their how-to's and keep that library growing.

DITTO to what Tony has said...'ignore' is a GREAT feature...you do NOT then have to read what the person writes who is a 'negative' in your life...I've had to use it myself on some people....ironically, we just resolved our issues, so now they are off 'ignore'!
See...happens to everyone! PLEASE continue to contribute...and we CAN have humor as well......life is freakingly short...let's just ENJOY what each other has to say!
You are MOST welcome here, Anthony! :cool::drive::drive::cool: ~juli

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was a great write-up, however simple the process may be; still looks like there are differences in opinions on how much new oil to use; one add-on, I usually let mine drain overnight; I'll let it drain right before going to bed the night before, and then finish it up the next day, so it saves waiting the 45-60 minutes waiting for it all to drain; no big deal either way, whatever works for each person...........

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes good write up, I would have lifted the back as well but some owners are forced to work where they can and not all have the luxury of a ramp or a trolley jack.:(

Nice clear pics and the bit that impresses me most is, your wife checks the garage and yells if the floor is dirty....she must have met mine....:lmao:

Dont worry about the remarks this is a great place to hang out just remember the forum motto 'Give as good as you get':2tu:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

- Anthony

Anthony, could you please post this over at viperalley as some members there don't visit this site.
They will appreciate your post.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony, could you please post this over at viperalley as some members there don't visit this site.
They will appreciate your post.

I hope that was said in 'sincerity'...I know from EXperience that SOME of the Alley people are NOT receptive to instructive posts. ~juli

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now Mike..............................................this is what I was afraid of...but not from you. :hit: ~juli

Awe, cmon Juli..... Im just having fun. What Wanted said was funny. Its a well known joke how it is at the Alley. Afterall this is the internet and by no means a judge of character.

But back to facts. Guy posts thread, a few find it useful, a few find it funny. We arent 16 year olds with our first car. Most are middle aged or older and have changed their oil. But big deal, the guy is excited about his first Viper and should post whatever he feels like. Ive been ribbed before, I'll be teased again. You need a thick skin on the internet, a thicker skin at the Alley. :rolaugh:

Ill try not to be rude when someone posts another simple thread of changing airfilters, or how to properly check your air pressure, How to preset your radio stations or How to fill your gas tank and properly secure gas cap to avoid check engine lights. :D

With Love,
Mike

V

Venomiss

This will be a great write up for newbies and people thinking about purchasing a viper.
:2tu:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've changed oil on a ton of cars, but still did a quick search on the SRT coupe forum since I've never changed it before on mine. This was a useful post... I hate being surprised by an odd tool to remove the oil drain plug (BMW), or removing the wrong plug altogether (Porsche pressure relief valve, right near oil drain, looks the same). Also good to see the filter is easy to get to.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice post for those who have never done it. Now, how about one for those who remove the rear tire to get at the battery for jump starting or charging:).

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can do that:

1) Remove right rear tire
2) Remove inner fender lining
3) Replace inner fender lining
4) Replace tire
5) Thank Dave for the joke, then proceed to trunk and remove battery cover :)

I don't miss the Gen II battery days! Or the dreaded spinning battery post up under the hood!

V

Venomiss

Still waiting for someone to join the VCA so we can put this in the illustrated section.....:)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pix but I prefer the simple way and have my Viper tech at the dealer to do this. No mess, ramps and disposel hassle plus its noted on the VIN records as having been done.

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer using a simple hand jack at the jack point behind the driver's front tire to get the car up in the air (Blocks under the tire so it doesn't drop on me;)).

Thanks for this advice. i have 5 jacks in my garage, two sets of ramps and could not figure out how to get under this car. Ended up driving on some scrap 2x6 which gave me enough height to get a jack on each side under the jack point. Saved me a 3 hour drive to go pick up a low profile jack. Thanks

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for this advice. i have 5 jacks in my garage, two sets of ramps and could not figure out how to get under this car. Ended up driving on some scrap 2x6 which gave me enough height to get a jack on each side under the jack point. Saved me a 3 hour drive to go pick up a low profile jack. Thanks

Or you could just put the 2x6 infront of the ramp and then drive up on it, and then onto the ramp. ;)

Much easier than having to use a jack and jackstands.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. :)

Right then, On a more serious note, I have read the workshop manual on how to change the oil, but I have a question....
Do any of you guys use flushing oil additive prior to changing the old oil? If so how many cans do you use? Or is this not recommended?

Also wondering, The recommended Mobil 1 for a 2000 gts is 10-30w.

This is very hard to get hold of in the UK, so if I was to use the latest Mobil 1, 0-40w would that be ok?

Thanks
Mark.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Right then, On a more serious note, I have read the workshop manual on how to change the oil, but I have a question....
Do any of you guys use flushing oil additive prior to changing the old oil? If so how many cans do you use? Or is this not recommended?

I never use any additives. Just drain and refill.

This is very hard to get hold of in the UK, so if I was to use the latest Mobil 1, 0-40w would that be ok?

Thanks
Mark.

Forget the Mobil1. Just run Valvoline SynPower 10w30 and enjoy. :2tu:

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car manufactures and Amsoil give a mileage limit or one year whichever comes first.

If you do not exceed the mileage limit in one year change the oil. The oil is good but the acids from combustion build up and it is not a good idea to let them stay in the engine.

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or you could just put the 2x6 infront of the ramp and then drive up on it, and then onto the ramp. ;)

Much easier than having to use a jack and jackstands.

My ramps are wayyyy tooo tall. Plus my 2x6 were only about 6" long. The way I did it worked. Was it the best route no, but I did get the oil changed.

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

Hmmmmm it's been a loooong wait.
Maybe after looking at the current raffle car we can persuade you to join.:D

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks
Mark.

Mark, Bazs local halfords now stocks 10-30w mobil1, so it maybe in other stores around the country

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mobil 0W40 provides better flow at low temperatures and thicker films at high temperatures than the 10W30. The 0W40 has API and ACEA performance credentials while (at least in the US) the 10W30 is merely API. The 10W30 would be fine, but the 0W40 is better in every way.

V

Venomiss

And she sounds a lot better now. I don't think she enjoyed being on the same oil for two years, although it was only 2500 miles.

Anyway, the tools you'll need:

3/8" Torque Wrench
Funnel
Oil Filter Strap Wrench
15-Quart Drain Pan
16mm Socket/16mm Box Wrench
Brake Cleaner
Shop/Paper Towels
Ramps

As we all know, the Viper is too low to get onto most ramps. I have a set of Blitz Rhino Ramps and they are just a bit too tall to get the Viper on without any help. I was going to build a "step" up to the ramp with two 2"x10"x16" pieces of wood, but this worked just fine:

You must be registered for see images

I used some permanented double sided tape on the bottom of the wood where it touches the ramp and the ground, and the piece stayed in place just fine. I will eventually angle the ends of the wood so it will lay flat, but this works if you need something quick.

Once in the air, remove the oil filler cap:

Mobil1 - yuck! ;)

Get under the car and put down some newspaper so that when some oil drops on the ground, you won't get yelled at by your significant other. Put the 15 quart drain pan under the drain plug and get your 16mm box wrench and loosen the plug. Then with your arm perpendicular to the ground, remove the plug by hand:

In the middle of the drain I got an oil collection kit and took a sample, and I'll send that off tomorrow to get analyzed so we can see how the Mobil1 stood up.

Once the oil starts to trickle out of the pan, put the plug back in and finger tighten it. Then go over to the oil filter:

This was on there way too tight for me to remove by hand, so I got a strap wrench and loosened it. Unscrew it a bit and thne let the oil drain out of it while it's still attached to the car. Once this stops, continue unscrewing the filter and then let the rest of the oil drain from the oil filter post. I'd say about half a quart came out.

Then get your new filter and put some oil on the rubber gasket so it will remove easily. Get it on there and then hand tighten it - I believe the instructions on the filter say get it tight and then give it another turn. An oil filter doesn't have to be extremely tight, contrary to what a lot of people think. Just make sure it is snug and you'll be good.

When you remove the oil filter, you've changed the pressure in the system, so some more oil will go back into the oil pan. Unscrew the drain plug and watch as about another half a quart coems out. Since the car is on ramps, and the oil drain plug isn't on the back of the oil pan, there is still going to be some in the system.

This drain plug has a rubber washer built into it, which is why it doesn't need to ever be replaced. I'm not sure what the actual torque is for the drain plug, but most are about 20-25 ft/lbs, so I torqued it to 25 with my torque wrench.

Then all you need to do is add about 9 quarts of your favorite oil (I used Valvoline SynPower 10w30) and then start the car, check for leaks, and then remove it from the ramps. Let it run for a few minutes, then let it sit for about five minutes, and then check the oil level. Mine was right where it was supposed to be.

Anyway, hope this helps some of you if you are planning on changing your oil but don't know what's involved. It is a very, very straight forward process. Everything is right infront of your face, and there is plenty of room to work. You don't have to remove any splash guards or underbody panels to do this. I'd say it took only about 45 minutes to do, and most of that was waiting for the oil to drain out.

- Anthony

Hope springs eternal on Anthony and since there are some who will be putting their Vipers away for the winter this might be a helpful thread.