changing gen 1 sparkplug wires

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
will i be able to reach behind to change my sparkplug wires after taking the cowl off...or do i have to remove some other parts...95 gen 1...also any tips on what to remove to change the spark plugs if anything...thanks for your thoughts

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will be able to get to them with the cowl off,But be prepared to get scrached arms..

Also do them one at a time so you dont get in a mucking fuddle

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Echo Baz's sentiments - cowl off and best course is to 'borrow' someone with thin arms as the more they get scratched and inflammed the thicker your arms appear to get! Took me a week to get rid of my scratches.
As Baz says only do one wire at a time as you will get into real problems otherwise.

Nigel

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If changing the plugs as well I also find it easier to drain the coolant and remove the radiator by-pass tubes. I guess it is a matter of preference.

I just can't seem to snap the plug wires on all the way.

The down side is you have to burp the cooling system.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, did you really drain the coolant? that seems a little excessive.

either way, just take your time and do one wire at a time.

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine for the first time this summer. Yes, you must remove the cowl to reach the 2 distributors. It was a little painful for some of the wires, but I got it done. At times, I think it would have been easier if the intake manifold was removed.

Patience is what is required the most.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If changing the plugs as well I also find it easier to drain the coolant and remove the radiator by-pass tubes. I guess it is a matter of preference.

I just can't seem to snap the plug wires on all the way.

The down side is you have to burp the cooling system.

This is an excellent suggestion. Not only to make one job easier but it is a good time to remove and clean up any corrosion inside the tubes and inspect them since the car is 12 years old. Probably a good idea to replace them. Check clamps too. Always a good idea to change coolant unless of course it was just done.