Changing ones own oil?

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought some ramps that were recommended for my car...but when trying to put the car on these ramps the lip of the fascia started to bend under them...and I do not want that to happen. Nearest dealer that has any sort of a Viper tech is like 2 hours away, and I am not going to trust anyone from the local oil change chains to do this.

So short of building a progressive ramp out of wood...any thing else that I can do with what I got?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, we don't have ramps that will accomodate our Viper either...we just jack up the front end just enough to slide the pan under...the whole car comes up, so jack up just enough to get underneath. We then have no probs changing the oil, pulling off the wheels, etc...juli

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a KwikLift and LOVE it. It is also great for detailing the car, detailing the underside of the car and oil changes etc... It is a little pricey at 1500 delivered but is great for people that do not have the ceiling height for a lift. I also just park on it in my garage. It actually makes getting in and out of the car a lot easier.

www.kwiklift.com

Reaction score
Whatever you do make sure the car is level when draining or you will leave oil in the pan to contaminate the fresh stuff, or run the risk of overfilling when you add the new.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought some ramps that were recommended for my car...but when trying to put the car on these ramps the lip of the fascia started to bend under them...and I do not want that to happen. Nearest dealer that has any sort of a Viper tech is like 2 hours away, and I am not going to trust anyone from the local oil change chains to do this.

So short of building a progressive ramp out of wood...any thing else that I can do with what I got?

RaceRamps are the only ramps I know of that work perfectly with the Viper. I have an old pair of gorilla ramps and I have to use 2x10's in front of the ramp for clearance. I'm going with either a Kwiklift or a 4 post lift over the winter and ditching the ramps.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Hmmm...don't think they are wide enough? A bit wider and I can see these would be level and useful...thanx Dave! ~juli"

14" isn't wide enough?

Says 'will accomodate tires that are 12" wide'...yeah, I know what you're seeing, the picture that says 14" across...read down farther a bit. ~juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, my mistake, our fronts are 10" wide...was thinking of the rears, mea culpa...!! Your car looks exceedingly well-prepared and balanced there Dave...thanx for the pic...the visual is what I needed.
~juli

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Kwiklift is a very interesting setup.
No issues with that, Agent?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy a race jack from Harbor Freight for around $79. Get some good jack stands and you're ready to go. Never get under the car with only the jack supporting it.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Kwiklift is a very interesting setup.
No issues with that, Agent?

None at all. When you jack up the back and lower the legs it is perfectly level so it is perfect for draining the oil. It is also the perfect height for working under the car on a creeper. If you don't have enough height in your garage for a 4 post this is the next best thing. It even comes with a bridge and bottle jack if you need to remove wheels. Best thing I ever did was buy that lift. Viper fits perfect on it. :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you, Frank...I will keep this post aside to show Mike...he may be interested in that kwiklift. Thanx again for the info...also to Dave for the raceramps/Viper picture. ~juli
Just another question though? Says holds up to 3000lbs?

Last edited:

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drive up on some 2x4's then put a regular jack under the car. Once you get the car up a couple inches a regular jack will clear

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
does anyone else wax their oil filters while down there. I've found it makes it look better later.

YMMV though.

Carl

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are too SHORT! You will drag the facia. You have to get the XT models.
:dunno: they look the same plus they have a Viper on them so I just thought they would work:)
Like I said, my car is lowered so I'm not sure any of these ramps will work

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2x10's cut to form a pyramid work for me. I have 2 levels, the lower level cut to about 3' long and the next level at 18". Both have a 45deg cut. Took about 2 min with a circular saw and cost about $5. Works perfectly for me to get my jack completely under the front facia, even with the car lowered.

If I need to get all 4 off the ground, I use another single level 2x10 for the rear tires. It gives enough room to get the jack on the frame rails from the rear of the car.

this also works great for taking to the track, as they can fit in the trunk of the R/T.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2x10's cut to form a pyramid work for me. I have 2 levels, the lower level cut to about 3' long and the next level at 18". Both have a 45deg cut. Took about 2 min with a circular saw and cost about $5. Works perfectly for me to get my jack completely under the front facia, even with the car lowered.

If I need to get all 4 off the ground, I use another single level 2x10 for the rear tires. It gives enough room to get the jack on the frame rails from the rear of the car.

this also works great for taking to the track, as they can fit in the trunk of the R/T.

I thought about building some like that, but the Race Ramps are made of foam and are REALLY light. At full arm extension you can pick them up and carry 'em no prob. I guess that saves important energy for working on the car.

And mine don't fit in the trunk of anything...

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Juli,

The car is still awesome. We were just talking about taking it out this weekend for an overnight. Going south to spend the weekend with the kids. Thanks for asking.

How's Mike doing? Are you all going to be able to do the fall cruise on the 21st?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Juli,
The car is still awesome. We were just talking about taking it out this weekend for an overnight. Going south to spend the weekend with the kids. Thanks for asking.
How's Mike doing? Are you all going to be able to do the fall cruise on the 21st?

Hi Joe! Glad to hear your car is still awesome!!! :2tu: Awe-inspiring indeed it is!!!! That'd be great if you can get that car out on a trip like that...visiting the kids and all. Mike is fine, thank you~~Monday will be a holiday, so a shorter work-day for him, thankfully!:D YEP, we are planning on the Jiminy Peak cruise...you? :drive: Sounds like TONS of fun, doesn't it???:cool: LOTS of activities!~~~til later~~juli

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone,
I followed these steps (http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603751) as well and it worked great. The ramps do not move when driving up on them and I do not have the rubber pieces on the bottom, they are probably about 50-60 pounds because I did not cut the holes in the boards. It does help to have someone near you when driving up on them so they can tell you how much further you have to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi