Chassis Flex

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've noticed since new, I seem to hear more creaks and squeaks from the chassis when I pull onto driveways and ramps than from my old Gen 4 ACR over the same driveways. The new chassis is suppose to be stiffer but my experience is telling me otherwise, at least from the back half of the car. In all fairness, the front of the car seems to be stiffer.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
perhaps different parts of the chassis are bearing the load now that the front has stiffened?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In some cars you can add a rear brace across the shock tower to stiffen up the rear flex. Not sure if that's possible on the Viper. I'm surprised to hear this is happening to the G5.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not experinenced this at all. Maybe you should put it up on a lift and check to see that everything is tightened to spec.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you hear the creeks BECAUSE it is so stiff. I have heard a few in mine going in a steep driveway - the chassis is so stiff that the front wheel lifts off the ground.

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you hear the creeks BECAUSE it is so stiff. I have heard a few in mine going in a steep driveway - the chassis is so stiff that the front wheel lifts off the ground.

I was thinking of the same, maybe the internal "roll bar" wasn't tight or something like that. But it sure is embrassing and annoying, especially when I have a passenger in the car and come to a driveway and the car creaks more than any of my other cars. I might not have gotten a pumpkin, I might have gotten a lemon.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it a creak or the air deflector, which is 2.5 inches from the ground, scraping against the pavement?

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it a creak or the air deflector, which is 2.5 inches from the ground, scraping against the pavement?

Definitely a creak from behind me. Also I already removed the air deflectors as I don't think I need them for street driving and for autox. For road course, I'll put them back on to help cool the brakes.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it possibly be a bushing in an A-arm or a squeaky bushing somewhere else in the rear suspension?

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had the Gen 4, and after I had roll bar installed, when the roll bar was not tight, I heard similar creaks. I had to tighten the bolts of the roll bar by the rear wheel well mounts and the rear hatch hinges to make the creaky sound go away. But this time around, the rear hatch seems to be very tight. So I made this video today to show what I'm talking about.

Pay attention to 7 to 11 seconds into the video while back out of the driveway, and again at 27 to 30 seconds while going back up onto my driveway.
http://youtu.be/r-pdO66JXwc

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check to see if the battery may be a bit loose in its holder? If it was sliding around a bit and hit the side of the battery holder it might make that sound. That would explain why it is happening when you go down and when you go up while turning.

BTW, the engine sounds great and you certainly have her clean and shiny.

Last edited:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something's up with that.

My old minivan makes noises like that, but it's an old minivan with over 200,000 miles on it.

I know that Vipers have their rough around the edges characteristics, but I don't think that is one of them.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take that in to get it looked at. Your driveway apron appears to be smooth, so its probably not coming from the suspension. It could be something major to something small like a loose interior panel.

Reaction score
To me it almost sounds like a differential knock when the angling ramp changes the weight to the outside tire, changing the load on the clutch plates causing them to pop/slip.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car sounds great, for the creaky noise check all the bushings back there that you can find and hit them with silicone spray do not forget the exhaust bushings

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce,

Listening to your video completely different sounds I am hearing. You shouldn't be hearing that with virtually no incline

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce,

Listening to your video completely different sounds I am hearing. You shouldn't be hearing that with virtually no incline

Your right VS every time I listen to the video I hear all kinds of stuff, from clunking to ratcheting to rubbing, we need another video with less back round noise.:eater::)

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The intent of starting this thread was to see if other Gen V owners are experiencing the same issue and since no one else is reporting the same, the purdent thing to do now is to take the car back to the dealer for a thorough checkup. The only issue is that there's a Viper vs. Corvette autocross event in two days that I'm planning on going and have to decide whether a few minor squeaks would affect the performance or more importantly safety of the car, with the event a 2 hour drive away. But hopefully my Socal Viper Club friends can help listen to the noise before the event and help locate the problem.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, hard for me to tell the noise? I switched to comp coupe sway bars 6 months ago and was getting a low speed creaking sound from the right rear. Dan Cragin told me that it was probably one of the links and just to drive it and come up when I could. He fixed it a month ago, installing some shims. I don't think that should keep you from the autocross and I know the guys need you there. Call Dan today and see if he can take a quick look for you, your not too far from his shop. Have fun in the desert, bring lot's of water, probably gonna be in the 90's this weekend. Mike

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses and PM's, especially the one from SRT. I was looking in the wrong places, and finally had my wife helped me locate the spueak and it turned out to be from the brake duct panel on the passenger side. The driver's side panel doesn't make any noise, so it must be an improperly install piece. Here's the noise it makes when pressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yYZsO-PvBUs

Last edited:

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paint looks AWESOME, all that worry for nothing, glad its minor :) I would have been the same if it was my new car.:usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang