Cheaper alternative for oil drain plug washer

The Mad Machinist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge Dealer charged me $15.25 for one washer that seals the oil rain plug on my 2000 GTS. After doing a little research I found the exact same washer in the McMaster Carr catalog part# 93783A033 Qty. of 10 for $14.08. This
info may be old news and it won't make you rich. But hey every little bit helps.....Right.

Fighting the Viper Tax one part at a time.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice find! I used some nylon Dorman washers from O'reilly's that were only $1 each but it's nice to find the real thing at a reasonable price. Thanks for sharing.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool find,

mine doesn't look like those,

You must be registered for see images

mine is just a standard crush washer (like this)

You must be registered for see images attach

i like the looks of yours better

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my Gen IV I also bought the plug at NAPA. It is a standard size. M14-1.5 and was about $5 with gasket.

Not sure if this is the right gasket for a GTS, but it is 17 cents... http://www.carparts.com/results/?N=0&Nr=AND%28universal%3A0%29&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Nty=1&PN=0+5602&VN=4294967165+4294964648+4294964410+4294964930+4294964476&universal=0

NAPA carries the same one, but it is a bit more. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Oil-Drain-Plug-Gasket/_/R-NDP7041965_0373520708

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
and that part number iiiiissss.......:eater:

tia
704-1093. If you do a search it is in a post by JackB. Don't know how to link to the post. The washer is like the top photo above, not the aluminum, copper, or nylon crush washer. It is steel with the neoprene center as pictured.

Frank

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge Dealer charged me $15.25 for one washer that seals the oil rain plug on my 2000 GTS. After doing a little research I found the exact same washer in the McMaster Carr catalog part# 93783A033 Qty. of 10 for $14.08. This
info may be old news and it won't make you rich. But hey every little bit helps.....Right.

Fighting the Viper Tax one part at a time.

I love it when guys don't stand down to the dealership thievery, great find and thanks for passing it along.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it supposed to be replaced? I don't remember what I did on my last oil change. I have copper ones that I replace on my AMG every change.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you get your AMG filter at the dealership (maybe at the parts store too, i don't know as i always got my mb filters from the dealer) they cane with a replacement crush washer so using a new 1 each time was kinda built in

the 1 with the rubber o ring built in is supposed to be reusable

the crush washers are supposed to be replaced

you will hear of people who do not do what is supposed :D

the key is to check for leaks at the plug after changing your oil as new and reused can leak or not

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you get your AMG filter at the dealership (maybe at the parts store too, i don't know as i always got my mb filters from the dealer) they cane with a replacement crush washer so using a new 1 each time was kinda built in

Not for me? The Mann filters come with an extra O-ring; I need to purchase the crush washers separately.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's because your dealer is nice and knows you need it, or knows their techs need it and don't want to be caught in a situation without them.

OP
OP
T

The Mad Machinist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did your original washer break? Why replace it?
I had the oil changed at a place close to me that only changes oil and this was the only place that would let me drive the car into there shop. The first two oil changes I had at this shop went fine. I brought my own oil and filter and the owner of the
shop did the work. This last time he had one of his guys do the oil change. The next day I have a puddle of oil in my garage. So I call the guy and he tells me to go down to the dealership and pickup a new sealing washer. I do and take the car over to
the shop and the owners not there so a couple of the guys install the new washer. After I start the car and they check for leaks they tell me the oil pan is cracked at the drain hole. They phone the owner and I wait for him to get there. He shows up
and tells me he will do the labor but I need to help him out with the parts. Due to wear and tare and I mite of hit something. I tell him I'm a machinist and I know a little about threaded fasteners and he is full of s*#* I also tell him that this car has
never leaked a drop of anything and this started after this last oil change. I then tell him we can do this one of two ways. I can take the car straight to the dealership and I will call my attorney just as soon as I pick up the rental car I will be driving for
how ever many weeks until the dealership gets parts and completes the work. I mention after paying all my legal fees and for the work done to fix the car it shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 grand. Or He can get me a new pan and gasket that I will install and he will never see me again. He chose the second option and I am a waiting for the parts.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear of your damage

the 1st oil change i ever did on my viper was similar....buy oil and filter and take to an oil change place with a pit. the "professional" put a death grip grunt on my drain plug so tight that when i did the 2nd oil change myself (it is after all, just a car) i had to use a breaker bar instead of a ratchet to loosen the plug.

25-30 ft/lbs plus washer ftw

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel bad for those who had to make such kinds of experiences. That's why I hope I will never have to give the car to someone whom I don't know or trust. I did my first oil change in my tiny garage, just with a floor jack. I had to buy a special bowl which can hold the 8 Liters of oil and is still flat enough so it will fit under the car, which I could only lift a very little bit. And it worked! However, you shouldn't have any problems with your back for this exercise and on the other Hand, you may have afterwards. :smirk:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets