Check engine light again on 01.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Belinger Headers, I have moved the 02s but the light seems to come on every 2-3 hundered miles. Is there anything new out there? Any one using Apex sims?

Thanks, Don

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told there is a TSB on the 01' cars for this. You
need to take it to a Dodge dealer and have the computer "re-flashed" and that is supposed to take care of the problem.
Good luck,

Steve

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I believe Dodge pulled the TSB for this, and it may not exist anymore.

Where exactly were the O2s moved to? We worked with Lou Belanger and provided some assistance in the new placement that he offers to other tuners and dealers.

Also, are you running without cats? If yes, then you will need our SNAKE BOXES. We have sent out almost 20 sets, and everyone has been very satisfied with the results. I heard that there were a couple Vipers with our Snake Boxes at the recent So Cal dyno event.

Let me know how I can help! You can reach me at 408.562.1000.
Thanks!
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 8AVETTE:
I have Belinger Headers, I have moved the 02s but the light seems to come on every 2-3 hundered miles. Is there anything new out there? Any one using Apex sims? Thanks, Don
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don.........I enjoyed our chat, and I will have your info soon.

Your Belanger headers were "off the shelf" 2000-'01 headers, bought from another vendor before PartsRack and Belanger combined to R+D the "Sweet Spot" for '01 car O-2 placement. I began working w/ Belanger on this move in Feb, and in earnest when the MoPar computers went away in late May. Belanger had been R+Ding Gen2 placements since 1996 in fact!

Your Vendor Tom is a top, long-time supplier of Belangers, as is PartsRack. I am CONFIDENT that if you call Tom, he would offer to have the situation fixed. ie re-set O2 bungs. We now have several '01s with NO problems. Ditto for CDI / (aka Archer) headers.

And no, as Wayne said, O-2 sims solve ONLY problems associated w/ being catless: O-2 lite and/or idle surge. They do NOT fix 00-01 header light, whether they come from HMS, APEX, or KRC Performance, the primary supplier of 0-2 sims for many vehicles.

[In fairness, Wayne, Belanger does NOT recall receiving help from you or Apex.....just inquiry calls about the problem similar to those you called me about. Then, you bought our CDIs w/ dual bungs. Belanger is CLEAR on this point. ]

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2charmed:
I have been told there is a TSB on the 01' cars for this
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That TSB {I have a printout) was mysteriously withdrawn 6 weeks after release........... I know of NO Vipers that were fixed w/ it even while it existed.........

wmw1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don first of all before you installed your new exhaust system was there any concern in regards to a check-engine light.If so what codes were stored.The first step that you should perform before you start spending addition funds trying to locate your problem.
Take your Viper to the dealer(you are still under factory warranty correct?)and ask the service advisor that you are having a concern that your Check-Engine light is coming on and you would like a dia-system check performed.At this point the Tech can recover any system fault codes,that are stored as current or by means of failer-records.Have them printed out for you(write them down on the Work-Order)Then ask the Tech to perform a calibration up-date on your VIN#,and if there is a update calibration to the EE-prom,then ask to have it done.This up-date should be N/C to you as long as you are still under warranty(miles&time).After the new calibration is install the computers records will be cleared.If there is no calibration change and the Tech states that you have the most current cal-ID#,have him clear all the records(codes&history data)and tell him that you will drive it till the light comes on again.Its a good thing,if at the time that the light comes on. Try to make it back to the dealer and have the Tech re-scan for codes with-out cycling the ign off to abtain the information that may be loss during the cycle of ign.Ask if the Tech can word it on the repair work-order so that if you have to stop at the closest dealer then the advisor may not have to question you as to why you need a fast scan.

One simple check that you could perform is to make sure that you don't have any exhaust leaks,that can turn on a check engine light.Start the car up and at idle place a rag at the tail pipe and check for any leak all the way back right to the headers,and check all the clamps and flanges.Just having a small leak will be picked up by the Pre-O2 sensors,which will affect the Posts sensors also.Wm

Note:retaining you cat-convertors, by means of correct high-flow units is a good thing.But removing them and installing false sensors in place of your post-O2 sensors,and altering your factory computer program table can void your warranty.