check engine light ALWAYS ON since I....

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought a skip shift eliminator (plug in).I guess I just have to disconnect it as Jon B. suggests? 2002 rt-10.Some years you can get the eliminator and the check engine light does not come on/stay on.

Because of a possible plugs/wire/coil pack problem on my car I need to get rid of/disconnect the skip shift eliminator.

So on an 02 if you have car problems you won't know what they are as the check engine light is always on anyway, is my understanding? You can still hook up the car to the diagnostics test though,correct?

PS- my car seems to hesitate a bit plus a burning plastic type smell from under the hood. Everything is stock on the car.

It was 55-60 degrees and somewhat humid...rain coming in as this problem occured.

I'm going to check the plus/wires Tuesday.Anything else it might be?

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I understand you can have the ECM flashed to reset the light. I have the Skip-shift eliminator plug from Jon but I haven't had time to install it yet.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are trying to eliminate the skip shift why not just remove it and plug the wiring harness back in the factory position. Eliminate the eliminator?

I'm not understanding though why you feel the need to get rid of the skip shift harness while troubleshooting a melting plastic smell you suspect is plugs/wires/coils. What's the relationship there?

Also, you can read codes with a code reader if the check engine light is always on, but you'll never know when a new one pops up. I would correct the problem causing the constant light and clear that code.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont eliminate the harness just unplug the skip shift plug in so the light turns off.I can put it on a lift,unplug it and look for my current problem- see if the CEL comes on by itself without the SSE.That will at least tell me I DO have an engine problem.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you hooked up a code reader to your OBDII port and read the codes? What are the code(s)?

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they just turn it off using a computer? Or am I stuck with it always on unless I take my skip shift eliminator?

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they just turn it off using a computer? Or am I stuck with it always on unless I take my skip shift eliminator?

You can use it and then have the ECM flashed to have the light turned off on that code. It will still work for other codes.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a code reader for about a $100. It erases the code after you read it....you should pick one up. Most part stores have em. Pull out that shift eliminator and hook it back up OEM, then just drive so it doesn't come on....it's not that hard. BTW I voted for myself for Pres. with my pet sheep, Fluffy, as my VP.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use it and then have the ECM flashed to have the light turned off on that code. It will still work for other codes.

Any decent scan tool will read the code and then cancel the code. If the code still exists the code will come back. Flashing the PCM is totally different, in affect you are permanently altering the code.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any decent scan tool will read the code and then cancel the code. If the code still exists the code will come back. Flashing the PCM is totally different, in affect you are permanently altering the code.

right.... so you can still use the SSE. why does everyone keep saying you have to unplug the SSE??? just because the light comes on doesn't mean you have to scrap the mod, just tell the computer its ok.

V

Venomiss

I got a code reader for about a $100. It erases the code after you read it....you should pick one up. Most part stores have em. Pull out that shift eliminator and hook it back up OEM, then just drive so it doesn't come on....it's not that hard. BTW I voted for myself for Pres. with my pet sheep, Fluffy, as my VP.

Ewe, that's something to laugh your chops off. Shornuff!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An assumption has been made that the light came on because of the SSE but in reality we don't know what codes the PCM is throwing at this point. This coupled with the fact that the car is running horrible complicates the SSE and CEL connection. I'd first start by purchasing/borrowing/stealing an OBDII code reader. This way you're not operating in the dark and you can actually get a reader that erases the codes for you and makes that CEL light go away. I'm hoping that when you do ultimately read the codes, you'll find a code that may explain the trouble with your engine too.

In case you don't see my point READ THE ******* CODES ALREADY! :D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhere between #1 and #2 would be:

1A - Call Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge 914-763-3136. Make certain you have the codes ready. Not only will the Wizard guide you on how to troubleshoot your engine issues but can get you a hefty discount on parts you may need to replace. You'll need the codes before you call Chuck.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper dick..go back to the alley..you like it there with your boys as you stroke eachothers ummm... well you know.. lmao.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper dick..go back to the alley..you like it there with your boys as you stroke eachothers ummm... well you know.. lmao.

What in the hell are you doing to your car:dunno:Everyday something new is wrong.Just sell the damn thing already:omg:And get your honda fixed!!!!The guys have asked you several times for the code and you haven't told anyone them...Are you for real with all the problems or just looking for post count..And pizza b i t c h (see you have upgraded fom boy) get your dumb a s s back to the books before you fail the damn class you are bearly passing..

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What in the hell are you doing to your car:dunno:Everyday something new is wrong.Just sell the damn thing already:omg:And get your honda fixed!!!!The guys have asked you several times for the code and you haven't told anyone them...Are you for real with all the problems or just looking for post count..And pizza b i t c h (see you have upgraded fom boy) get your dumb a s s back to the books before you fail the damn class you are bearly passing..

***** and ass require no camouflage. But if used distastefully, like calling someone a *****, your text may be edited by the mods.

Also, while on the subject of intelligence, bearly I suppose means to be like a bear? :lmao:

May I suggest making spell check your best friend? It will make you look smarter. :rolleyes:

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***** and ass require no camouflage. But if used distastefully, like calling someone a *****, your text may be edited by the mods.

:omg: like I really care

Also, while on the subject of intelligence, bearly I suppose means to be like a bear? :lmao:

yes.was hoping he would notice it.

May I suggest making spell check your best friend? It will make you look smarter. :rolleyes:

doubtfull:lmao:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just love this forum. Never a dull moment. I don't see how the mods get anything done. Ya'll are hilarious. BTW....CODES been checked yet. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang