Chrysler VS Dodge Viper gen 2

crille_hallden

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all those knowledgeable!

I own 1 of 3 Swedish sold Chrysler Vipers -99.
The question has certainly been asked before, but I can not find the right thread...

I can not find more than myths about what makes them different, Dodge Viper vs Chrysler Viper, engine wise ..
383 vs. 450 hp

Do you know exactly what makes them different?
Some say restriction in the exhaust, some say that we measure power in different ways in the U.S. and the EU.
Maybe the throttle bodies opening are not fully on Chrysler Viper?

If no one has complete knowledge will you know where I can go?

Best regards from Sweden

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a very rare car indeed! It's very likely the power rating of 383 is Metric HP. The math is: 735.5/745.7 * HP rating. For a 1999 Viper, that would be 443. I'm not sure where the 383 comes from and honestly I've never heard that figure used for a Viper engine.

Jon B at PartsRack has a very deep and varied knowledge of all things Viper; he may be able to help!

http://www.viperpartsrack.com/index.php?route=information/contact

Good luck!

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Herb Helbig once answered the same question in Viper Quarterly: As far as I remember, they had to make a few modification to Euro spec Vipers to achieve the stricter noise limits and adjust for the gas quality. Hence, the Euro spec Vipers have a different muffler setup, some kind of restriction in the airbox and a different PCM. All those measures together result in the lower HP.

PS: That's why I went for a US Viper ;-)

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the only difference was the badging on the car, no "Dodge" over there and therefore used "Chrysler" ....are the air tubes rippled or smooth ?? My $.02

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a German car magazine from the year 2000. For the Viper GTS, it states a power rating of 384 hp...
Only one way to be certain. Put the car on a dyno. If the power is in fact only 384, then you should only be getting around 340 horses at the rear wheels. US spec 99s should have low 400s at the wheels (410-420 rwhp).

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought the only difference was the badging on the car, no "Dodge" over there and therefore used "Chrysler" ....are the air tubes rippled or smooth ?? My $.02

The tubes are the same, the air inlet housing is different.

If you look up the parts lists you will find export versions from all the parts I have listed.

And who should know better than Herb Helbig??? ;-)

OP
OP
C

crille_hallden

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello!
Thaks for your replies!

The tubes are rippled org, i have smooth today and K&N. No extra things in my airbox (2014)...

GTS Holgi; Today its cheaper to buy a Viper here in Sweden then import (good examples)if you calculate 10 swedish kr/dollar....
Taxes, shipping, etc.

And with new headers and exaust + tune/dyno eu car and us would have the same numbers...?

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello!
Thaks for your replies!

The tubes are rippled org, i have smooth today and K&N. No extra things in my airbox (2014)...

GTS Holgi; Today its cheaper to buy a Viper here in Sweden then import (good examples)if you calculate 10 swedish kr/dollar....
Taxes, shipping, etc.

And with new headers and exaust + tune/dyno eu car and us would have the same numbers...?

I still prefer the "authentic" version ;-) plus I have upgraded to smooth tubes, K&N and Corsa & HF cats...

BTW: I did buy my US Viper here in Germany, so I hadn't to cope with the import hassle. I think I was lucky as the supply of good examples is very limited here... would assume the same for Sweden!?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R