Clear bra costs for an SRT-10 vert?

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm considering using clear bra on my front bumper cover, complete side sills, both mirrors, both front fenders and hood (aftermarket '08) with 3M 8mil scotchguard clear bra with the clearcoat finish. It has the standard 5 yr warranty against yellowing, cracking, and peeling.

Ony one local shop (who has good references on other forums) is willing to do the work locally in Hampton Roads, and offers a military discount. I'm looking at using the wider strips (which costs more money) to minimize lines.

The price is as follows:
- For covering both side sills, top to bottom, front to back with no lines, using 24" sheets (after I remove the lettering) is $340.
- For the front bumper cover using a single 24" sheet (after I remove the emblem) it's $430.
- For the 2 front fenders (using an 18" sheet), it's $450.
- For the 2 mirrors, it's $100
- For the hood using a 30" sheet for the scoop, and (2) 18" sheets for the sides/louvers, its $430.

So total for all of this is $1750. This seems like twice what I've read in the forums. This is NOT using the standard pre-cut kits.

Any thoughts from those of you who've had it done?

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since they are bulking it, that always costs a little more, compared to a kit, it is very labor intensive. Using 24 inch on the side sills will not cover the entire side sill and into the car, the bottom with have paint exposed, 30 inch has to be used. Make sure who ever does it is good because they guys that dont care will cut you paint, a lot of guys want to do it fast. That price does not surprise me Retail from a shop. I would charge about 650 less. 100 for the mirrors is unreal. PM me if you have questions, I would use a differnet film and ill explain why if you call. 3M is great for a daily driver, but the orange peel is kinda bad.

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since they are bulking it, that always costs a little more, compared to a kit, it is very labor intensive. Using 24 inch on the side sills will not cover the entire side sill and into the car, the bottom with have paint exposed, 30 inch has to be used. Make sure who ever does it is good because they guys that dont care will cut you paint, a lot of guys want to do it fast. That price does not surprise me Retail from a shop. I would charge about 650 less. 100 for the mirrors is unreal. PM me if you have questions, I would use a differnet film and ill explain why if you call. 3M is great for a daily driver, but the orange peel is kinda bad.

Thanks for the quick reply! They are 3m certified (only 3 in the area) and told me they don't cut through to the paint, just score it and pull. We measured easlier today and saw 24" was good for the side sills...I will go back and reverify that in case I need to go wider. I know putting this on a black car can be difficult to minimize flaws. I saw it on their silver truck and it looked good, although it appeared to be easier due to less curves and easier color to work with. If I could find someone here to do it for $650 less and look as good, it'd be a no brainer...but the no one else wants to do more then the easy stuff or pre-cut kits. Go figure. I'm not picky on the brand, just the quality.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed this, however not quite to the extent that you're considering.

So I'm considering using clear bra on my front bumper cover, complete side sills, both mirrors, both front fenders and hood (aftermarket '08) with 3M 8mil scotchguard clear bra with the clearcoat finish. It has the standard 5 yr warranty against yellowing, cracking, and peeling.

You might consider venture shield as the 3M adhesive is commonly considered to be far more difficult to remove. Venture shield also offers a 7 year warranty.

The price is as follows:
- For covering both side sills, top to bottom, front to back with no lines, using 24" sheets (after I remove the lettering) is $340.
- For the front bumper cover using a single 24" sheet (after I remove the emblem) it's $430.
- For the hood using a 30" sheet for the scoop, and (2) 18" sheets for the sides/louvers, its $430.

So total for all of this is $1750. This seems like twice what I've read in the forums. This is NOT using the standard pre-cut kits.

I used all the pre cut kits which included the front portion of the hood (not the full hood) and first set of louvers, and under the rear quarter panels (and all the other areas you posted).

I was able to do this under $1,300. Not sure if that helps you since it's the kit prices, but I did pretty much everything that was available (including mirrors) except windshield.

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed this, however not quite to the extent that you're considering.

You might consider venture shield as the 3M adhesive is commonly considered to be far more difficult to remove. Venture shield also offers a 7 year warranty.

I used all the pre cut kits which included the front portion of the hood (not the full hood) and first set of louvers, and under the rear quarter panels (and all the other areas you posted).

I was able to do this under $1,300. Not sure if that helps you since it's the kit prices, but I did pretty much everything that was available (including mirrors) except windshield.

Thanks also for repyling. These guys do use the venture shield as well, especially in the precut kits. They told me they don't like it as much since the adhesive is more difficult to work with on the venture shield vice the 3M. From what I've read in the forums, it's a toss up between the two, just a matter of preference of installers or what you like. I'm looking for no lines since it apparently is noticable on black so going custom cut.

With all the custom bulk stuff and labor, the price they quoted me doesn't seem too far off the mark. They also said at least a day to do it right for 2 guys working on it.

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds about right, ventureshield have a lifetime warrantly, but they will not pay labor where as 3m does. Ventureshield looks alot better as for orange peel. Both are good

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ony one local shop (who has good references on other forums) is willing to do the work locally in Hampton Roads, and offers a military discount. I'm looking at using the wider strips (which costs more money) to minimize lines.

The price is as follows:

I have similar coverage on my 2008 convertible with something called Ventureshield. I got a bit of a discount because I have had other cars done at my local shop so the total for me was $1200.

/Rich

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds about right, ventureshield have a lifetime warrantly, but they will not pay labor where as 3m does. Ventureshield looks alot better as for orange peel. Both are good

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll convince them to use the ventureshield, but like I mentioned earlier, they don't like how the adhesive works on it. Will see what they say.

Anyone in the VCA near VA Beach, VA that does it and is looking for the business?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks also for repyling. These guys do use the venture shield as well, especially in the precut kits. They told me they don't like it as much since the adhesive is more difficult to work with on the venture shield vice the 3M. From what I've read in the forums, it's a toss up between the two, just a matter of preference of installers or what you like. I'm looking for no lines since it apparently is noticable on black so going custom cut.

With all the custom bulk stuff and labor, the price they quoted me doesn't seem too far off the mark. They also said at least a day to do it right for 2 guys working on it.

Again, I'm NO expert here, but I'm just passing along my .02 from my own research. I learned that the 3M adhesive IS easier to work with because it is more adherent, which means it is also more difficult to remove if ever it becomes damaged, i.e., much larger risk of taking clearcoat and paint along with the film. My install took 2 days and then a third day touch-up especially over my stripes. Anyway, I was pretty tapped out with my price so I never considered not going with the kits. Obviously, if your installer doesn't like working with venture shield, then forcing that on him would be foolish.

Hope that helps.:dunno:

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, I'm NO expert here, but I'm just passing along my .02 from my own research. I learned that the 3M adhesive IS easier to work with because it is more adherent, which means it is also more difficult to remove if ever it becomes damaged, i.e., much larger risk of taking clearcoat and paint along with the film. My install took 2 days and then a third day touch-up especially over my stripes. Anyway, I was pretty tapped out with my price so I never considered not going with the kits. Obviously, if your installer doesn't like working with venture shield, then forcing that on him would be foolish.

Hope that helps.:dunno:

It does help, thanks! Just want that warm fuzzy that I'm not paying a ridiculous amount of money for what I'd like to get done. The orange peel factor does have my attention though now, so I'm going to take a closer look at the truck he's already done.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I have tried installing 3M scotchgaurd a few times and do not like it at all. The adhesive is not that strong and in fact is much more difficult to put on than VS. 3M aso has way to much orange peel and I would never consider putting it on a black car... unless you do not care about the orange peel look. VS is really the way to go between the two films you have mentioned. And I also think there are some great precut kits out there that wil give you the same coverage but without the risk of cutting your paint. By the way, you will never know there are cuts in your paint until you have to remove it... which may be years down the road and they could be long gone by then.

By the way Billy, I sent you a PM a few days ago...

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I have tried installing 3M scotchgaurd a few times and do not like it at all. The adhesive is not that strong and in fact is much more difficult to put on than VS. 3M aso has way to much orange peel and I would never consider putting it on a black car... unless you do not care about the orange peel look. VS is really the way to go between the two films you have mentioned. And I also think there are some great precut kits out there that wil give you the same coverage but without the risk of cutting your paint. By the way, you will never know there are cuts in your paint until you have to remove it... which may be years down the road and they could be long gone by then.

By the way Billy, I sent you a PM a few days ago...

Reply PM sent.

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same done on my black SRT vert, except he did a few custom pieces as well (cut outs behind rear wheels). I had him do my sills when they were off the car and he used a 30" piece I believe to cover entire sill (top to bolts on bottom) and used Ventureshield. As an added measure, he ordered an extra thick 6" piece and doubled up over the clearbra on the underside of the sills wrapping about an inch up the visible part for extra protection since this area gets literally sandblasted depending on roadsurface. Gave me some extra pieces if the strip gets abused, can simply peel it off and replace with another.

Anyways, did the front clip (pre formed) and hood about 18" up, mirrors, complete sills and custom pieces behind rear wheels for about $700.

Love the stuff. Makes it so easy to clean. A little windex or just water and bugs/debirs wipes off clean. Worth the money in simply the time saved cleaning.

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's the look with the standard kit? I'm trying to avoid the lines and they said you'll definitely notice it. Guess that's why they want so much more to cover the whole hood. So 30" for the sills vice 24"? That's probably going to add a bit more also.