Clear Bra Coverage?

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need to install new clear bra on my side sills. In the past, I've always had the entire sill covered which is a big project. If I wanted to cover just the area behind the front wheels that gets damaged/sandblasted, how far back would the material need to go? Where does most of the paint damage occur? Thanks

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a guy fron Cinci install mine - my 2001 Side Sills got destroyed.

The GenIII clear bra templates are pre cut and go from the indentation in the fender (right below the emblem) to just wrapping around he side sill and go the length of the sill. And there is a template behind the rear wheels as well. I am having a custom piece made for the wells as well.

John

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stray cat, precuts would sure make thing easier for the diy'er. Mind speaking to your installer to see if maybe he'd be interested in selling precut side sill pieces? This area on the Gen3 is most vulnerable to sandblasting so if nothing else it's not a bad idea having them covered.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
flash, I recently got my new coupe done in Orange, don't have the info @ work, recommended by newport viper, send him a pm. paid $850. for facia, front of the hood rear wheel wells (car came with 1/2 sills done) and door handles (NP viper suggestion) He quoted me 30% labor on top of the good kits, lots of options and materials. this guy was highly recommeded by others in SCA Mike

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) I paid $350 to have the side sills and the rear quarters done. He told me I could drive it immediately. I did and I had boiling water in the Sills. Ouch ! He came out and did them over for me for free. Let this stuff dry before you take the car out ! He had no idea how hot these side sills get.

2) The coverage of the 3M templates is less than desireable to me because it does not protect the inner wheel lip, does not wrap entirely arround the side sill and does not cover the entire rear quarter where the tires sling stuff up. I had him do the inner lips of the fenders for me for an extra $150.

3) Esentially, the pre-cut templates just cover what you can see on the car (except for the lip) they do not cover the entire sill or quarter. The damage will occur under the car where you can not see unless you had it in the air.

4) I asked him about making pre-cuts for the wheel openings and he said that the factoiry is real careful not to let people do this as they want this controled, but that he could make suggestions to 3M.

I did not put anything on the front, handles etc. You reall can hardly notice it is there on the Copperhead. He stopped at bodylines etc. So far, I feel much better about driving it than I did my 2001. I had zero marks on the front of the 2001 - I stay well behind people when I drove. But my side sills looked like they had been sand blasted. So I covered the sills on this one. Hope this helps !

Regards,

John

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard that after about 6 months to a year they tend to discolor. Does anyone have any better info on the material and how it holds up?

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is still holding up well after two years. I use 3M vinyl cleaner regularly; Once a month I put a slight coat of armor all just to moisten the film. This is what the installer told me to do.

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine on 2 years and 7000 miles ago. Before we drove 5000 miles round trip to VOI 9 this year, the material was beginning to look a bit tired. After the VOI trip, there was heavy discoloration, lots of small bubbles, and the front edges behind the front wheels on both sides started to abrade and hang down 1/4 to a half inch. I would definately plan on replacing the first 24 inches behind the front wheels every 2 years or 5000 miles if you are driving paved roads only, as that seems to be the only area that gets the abuse.

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is supposed to be guaranteed for 5 years against cracking. peeling. discoloration etc..... just put it on. So we will see. The first set on the sills had to be replaced as moisture trapped under it started to Boil. So this time I waited a week before fireing it up to allow the moisture to evaporate. Looks perect this time around.

John

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking into rock guarding the bottom of the side sill panal in the factory color as my whole side sill along the bottom is ruined from sand and road debris.