ClearBra Installed

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the ClearBra (Utah company) yesterday. (ClearBra says this is NOT the same as any of the 3M stuff, although they have the same name -- it's a polysomething whereas 3M is Urethane.) It was a 12 hour job! It covers the complete front end up to bottom of hood louvers. I didn't have ClearBra install it because they have no installers here and they're too far away. It cost me $205 total.

Very difficult to install by self. Probably better off having professionals do it. Cost would have been about $500 for ClearBra to install.

Am I satisfied -- sort of. I would give it a 6 out of 10 because of the tooling marks left by installation squeegie and installer (me). I tried the 3M stuff (much thinner) and it REALLY big time showed the marks, so I discarded it. This is very thick stuff, and has a very hard outer surface, that once scored by a razor blade, tears easily. I suspect a professional installer would do a much smoother installation. At least I don't have to use the Mopar bra anymore, and can actually see the paint. And, I will not suffer any rock chips (depending on size!), AND can take it off any time desired. Following are pictures.

Installed on whole front end from louvers.
You must be registered for see images

Below, see how the distorted to non-distorted reflection transitions from bottom to top (clearbra to paint surface). The change occurs where the clearbra stops (can barely see the line going between the louvers.

You can see the imperfections from tooling below.

I'm fairly pleased I did it - since I paid for it, better be. The imperfections seem to be fading as time progresses -- some of it is installation solution (water and rubbing alcohol) underneath, which will evaporate.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, I think it look good to me!!!!
You said you can take it off??? Can you reinstall it???
My mopar bra has to be removed if it gets wet...what about the clearbra?
12 hour installation is long..hope it was a labor of love!?!
Fast Eddie

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had th 3M stuff on my 96RT. It was installed by the previous owner. It was on the mirrors,side sills and partialy on the lower rear bumper cover(behind the rear wheels). Sounds excessive but it was done well and served its purpose well.It Looked good (installed professionally)and Helped preserve the paint from chips. Taking it off was a chore. I removed it only because it started to yellow and discolor. I have a white/blue stripes so you can imagine how yellow (due to the heat) the side sills got.I was going to reinstall it but I couldnt find anyone local that did it.I was told it is pretty popular among Indy cars and race teams. I found a local race shop(I live in Indy)that does it. The guy gave me a pretty good price so it looks like I will have it reinstalled. You will appreciate it later.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good job, I can't even tell that its on the car from the pics. I was just thinking that this would be great on the side sills if it can take the heat. Prevent unwanted scratches from getting in and out of the car. Does it have a recommended temp range? Maybe you could try it on a small area if you have any extra left over and see how it holds up.

OP
OP
F

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPORXXX, removing the bra destroys it. It's got an adhesive that sticks very well to the paint (and to itself!!).

Viperrt96/MES, rock chip problems is why I also put something similar on the sidesills, inside lips of wheel openings, and under the complete backend under rear bumper about 6 months ago, and haven't noticed any degradation of the material. The heat may have glued the material there forever, but haven't tried to remove it to find out. I don't know the heat capability of the ClearBra, but the guy in Utah has covered many complete cars, including Vipers. He does $40-$60K worth of installs each month and is looking for distributors. You'd have to get real good and fast to make a living at this.

VVRRRMM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the 3M protective tape on just my stripes on the nose of my viper as it appears more prone to chips. It took a little time, but end result was other Viper owners not even seeing the seams or the layer.
This company also has a product that is cut specifically for the Viper. I have heard great results, but have not personally tried this product. http://www.stoneguard.com/sgcontent/default.asp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi