Click/clunck when taking off?

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help, my 94 RT10 has a clunk when I start out in 1st gear, checked all possible, shocks, drive shaft, took to a transmission place, fluids changed, no metal flakes, nothing. sounds like under the car, the only thing have not checked is side exhausts? Any advice. Thanks.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Splines in the wheel bearing hub assembly. That's what it was on mine.

OP
OP
M

moeviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all very much. Am new to Viper, great quick responses. I will check all those. Love my Viper.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, you're talking about the diff mount bolts, not the carrier or something, right?

To be honest, I'm not sure, but I believe so. I was having all my fluids changed and asked the tech to retorque all the bolts b/c I had read a thread on here about that being a possible cause of the clunk noise on takeoffs. I can't remember what specific bolt it was, but I know it was near/on the differential that he said was the loose one

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The noise is common on early RT's and has to do with the splines going into the rear wheel hubs. Besides being an annoying noise, it is not a problem and I have never seen a failure. To get rid of the noise you need to change the half shaft yokes and rear bearings. I used a lubricant on the splines on a few cars and it reduced the noise quite a bit. It is related to some play in the yokes and makes a cracking noise when moving from a stop. There was an early service memo for a matched hub and spline.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad