Clicking/banging noise (body/suspension noise)

viper450

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a loud cracking noise from under the front center of my car (2003 SRT) when ever I am on un-even payment. It cracks multiple times, crack crack crack, it's not a 1 time noise. The car has about 7,000 miles and this noise has only developed in the past 5 months. The noise only happens when there is body/suspension flex. It does not happen on flat ground but it does happen even if the engine is off, leading me to believe it is suspension/body flex. I had it up on the lift twice and tightened everything I could. I even had my local Viper Tech listen to it and he had never heard this noise before and had no idea.

If you have an idea I would greatly appreciate it. If you think it's a bushing please indicate where exactly this bushing might be so I can locate. Someone else mentioned at u-joint. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Maybe check to see if the brace that holds the trans mount is tight, or the mount itself. Same with the motor mounts.

I have a loud cracking noise from under the front center of my car (2003 SRT) when ever I am on un-even payment. It cracks multiple times, crack crack crack, it's not a 1 time noise. The car has about 7,000 miles and this noise has only developed in the past 5 months. The noise only happens when there is body/suspension flex. It does not happen on flat ground but it does happen even if the engine is off, leading me to believe it is suspension/body flex. I had it up on the lift twice and tightened everything I could. I even had my local Viper Tech listen to it and he had never heard this noise before and had no idea.

If you have an idea I would greatly appreciate it. If you think it's a bushing please indicate where exactly this bushing might be so I can locate. Someone else mentioned at u-joint. Thanks in advance for your help.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, give your ball joints & tie-rods a good greasing! What I use for the bushings is "Ru-Glyde". It is a rubber lubicant used in mounting tires. When sprayed on ALL the rubber bushings [control arms, sway-bar, motor mounts & steering rack] on a regular basis [every oil change], it keeps them from drying out and this will eliminate suspension creeks, groans and may even get rid of that cracking noise from the bushings? You can get Ru-Glyde at your local NAPA store. Try it! :cool:

OP
OP
V

viper450

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I pulled off the belly pan AND tightened all the bolts which hold the rocker panel on (6-8 bolts) underneath and the sound has disappered. I believe it the rocker panel twisting with the body of the car and not being as tight as they should have been.
Thanks again for the ideas. BTW, the way tranny mount was tight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456