Closing the hood.

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I doing something wrong when I close the hood. Sometimes I will close it and one side will rub against the headlight and sometimes it has about a 3/4 inch gap between the hood and the headlight. Whats the deal?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have several issues.

First do you know the proper procedure for closing a viper hood? Hand placement?

Second, the hood should never touch the head light unless there is something wrong. Most of the time the reason for contact is due to an accident. It is one of the major signs to look for when you buy a used viper.

To kinda answer your question, the latch on the side that is not closing tight is not catching.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT CLOSING THE HOOD BY THE EDGE AS YOU WOULD ON A NORMAL CAR, IF YOU ARE THEN YOU WILL CRACK THE HOOD.

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Viper has a number of small hood cracks that I suspect were a result of previous owners opening and closing the hood as you would any ordinary ‘cup holder’ car. I was told the cracks were a result of torque when I bought my Viper! :crazy:

Get yourself a copy of a Viper owner’s video. They explain exactly how to properly open and close the hood in the video. :2tu:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When there is a 3/4 gap, the hood isn't latched.

First set rubber bumper correctly. Put a piece of paper on top of the rubber bumper near the headlight that touches. Shut the hood. See if you can pull out the piece of paper. If yes, the rubber bumper needs to be turned up and paper tested again until paper cannot pull out. Once done, is it still touching headlight?

If yes, the latch needs to be moved. Mark with tape or pen and move. Paper test bumper again to set it.

The point is you don't want to just move up the rubber bumper to get it off the headlight and force a bend in the hood.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the "proper" technique for closing the hood?

Don't press the hood down at the front like normal cars. This might crack it! In stead place your hands between the hood grills and press down. If you look under the hood this is where the hinges are attached and you will not cause any damage. Personally I use a clean towel too just so I don't leave any greasy fingers on the polished surface :)

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood should be closed with your hands just outboard of the stripes and a foot or so behind the NACA.

I have seen many Vipers where the hood touches a headlight....and my '96 and current 2000 were part of that group. I left the hood alone and adusted the headlight pod. By removing the foglight and it's plug in the wheel well....you can reach the nuts that retain the headlight. A good supply of extentions and wrenches help. Just loosen the nuts slighty and slide the headlight over out of the way. It only has to move a bit.

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The owners video also suggests that when opening the hood, that you lift from the CENTER of the hood just in front of the windshield cowl. :eek: (I'm 6'3" and this is tough even for me!!!) Do NOT grab the driver or passenger side of the hood as this will also potentially spar paint cracks and possibly mis-align the hood. If you think about it, this makes sense becuase lifting from the side does twist the hood a bit. Again, the owner’s video walks you through the WHOLE open and close process. It’s worth a look-see.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When there is a 3/4 gap, the hood isn't latched.
You can't say that without knowing how that particular hood is adjusted. I've seen latched hoods with a 1" gap (and yes, clearly the latch needs to be adjusted).

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While were on the subject of hood gaps (again) is it possible to lower the center of the headlight down slightly? On the pic below, my hood hits the headlight and has left a red mark and gouge. I would like to lower the headlight a bit and the hood a bit more if possible to close the unsightly hood gap of a 1/2". Can this be done without removing the whole fascia?

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJon,

It looks like you need to have the headlight come towards the passanger side a bit instead of coming down.

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My headlights are positioned just like Viperjon's.

To me it looks like the headlight assembly needs to move to the left.

Anyone know if that is possible????

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya know what, I think you are right, Russ.
Can they be moved horizontally?
Calling Mr. Wizard.......................... :)

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
syclone1157 the owners manual actually shows a decent writeup on closing the hood. Mainly I think you need to line the rear of the hood up in the tracks, and then I'd say about 18" or so away from the front of the hood I first start slow, and then half way down give it a little 'force' to latch it down, works great, and no cracks (yet!).

Prior to reading the owners manual, I did have a closing incident where one side was latched and not the other....had I only RTFM I'd been OK :)

Cal

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Headlights have a very slight horizontal adjustment. Most of the adjustment is fore and aft. there are four bolts and with a little stretch armstrong like wiggling, you can adjust through the foglight hole. It is also helpful to remove the rubber "plug" from in front of the tire to have two access/light points to reach inside.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headlights have a very slight horizontal adjustment. Most of the adjustment is fore and aft. there are four bolts and with a little stretch armstrong like wiggling, you can adjust through the foglight hole. It is also helpful to remove the rubber "plug" from in front of the tire to have two access/light points to reach inside.
I feel it's always best, when trying to make this adjustment, to remove the front facia. I've done this several time on my 96 and got it looking near perfect, but set aside a day to dicker with it. The headlights can be moved in all directions(at least with mine) and are move vertically with shims. In my case, I move the headlight forward and to the outside of the car ot make it look correct. Good luck and you'll find if you do remove the facia, there are a couple of push pins best not replaced if you think you might go back in at a later date. :2tu:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no need to remove the fascia to adjust the headlight pods. I did this on two different cars...see my post above for more info.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if I can manuever both the headlights slightly to the outsides as Russ suggested (maybe a 1/4" or slightly more) it would definitely stop the hood from contacting and kill two birds with one stone. I'll bet the hood gap would close up some as well as the headlight contact. Gonna give it a try without taking the fascia off if possible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21