Cloudy, Scratched Headlights! How to polish them or do I?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Wal Mart; my son and I did his non-Viper a couple years ago with a kit fro Wal Mart. I think the kit was $19.95, and included all the sand paper, and polish and sealant required.
Later,

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
3M makes a great kit that I have used. It's a multi step polishing program that gives fantastic results:

3M™ Headlight Lens Restoration System US 3M Automotive head light lights headlight headlights tail taillight taillights plastic plastics cover covers fog fogs foggy fogged cloud clouds cloudy clouding clear clears clearing dull dulled yellow yellow

Only downside is that the kit is over $500.

I'd recommend against trying to break the seal on the lens. The fogginess is generally on the outside of the lens, not the inside. You have any pictures of the lenses?

Used this kit and the lens are all cleaned up! They don't look like a brand new set, but they are clear and you can see through them again without making the car look it's age. This is exactly what I was after.

Thanks again guys!

Now, everyone go out and polish something today :2tu:

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used this kit and the lens are all cleaned up! They don't look like a brand new set, but they are clear and you can see through them again without making the car look it's age. This is exactly what I was after.

Thanks again guys!

Now, everyone go out and polish something today :2tu:

Glad it worked out for you! :cool:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you cant do anything if they are yellow, that is due to the plastic breaking down. But you can sand them with 1500 (wet sand with a little detergant) then buff with some polishing compound (I use ultra cutting cream) You will need a real buffer to do this in order to generate the heat/force required for the compound to break down as it polishes. Note they will not be "as good as new" but will look alot better then before.

Mine were as yellow as they could get, I used 400 grit, then used the Eastwood glass polish. They came out looking like new. To keep them that way, I put the clear lens covers over them. It is impossible to see they have the covers and again, look like new.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had mine done! All I did was take it up to a custom body shop. They started by wetsanding with a 2000 grit circular sander, followed by a 3500 grit, followed by their professional strength polishing compound. The headlights look band new. Costs way less than 500 for a kit. Get up with a respectable body shop in your area. If you want some more info, PM me and I can put you in contact with my guy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang