clutch question

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought an 08 Viper with headers, full exhaust, etc from a dealer who listed but was unable to provide specifics on other mod details. Did list car with a spec twin disc clutch. This is my 6th viper and Ive never experienced a clutch with such abrubt engagement. I guess Ill get the feel for it, but it seems as if the lower 80% of the clutch travel does nothing (no engagement at all) and the top 20% (i.e. maybe 1" of foot travel) fully engages the clutch. So in fact I can change gears by simply blipping the clutch for an inch or so of travel rather than the full depression Im used to in other vipers. The engagement is very quick and abrubt. Sorry if I sound like an idiot here, but I guess I just wanted to know if that is normal for an aftermarket clutch or if Im missing something here.

OP
OP
S

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont know why stocker was switched out. Car dynod at 601 rwhp w/ mods and maybe they thought stock clutch wasnt up to task or maybe they burned it up, dunno. Just gonna take me a bit to get used to the engagement and abruptness of it.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The twin disc clutch in the Gen IV is smaller in diameter than the single clutch disc on previous generations, therefore has lower inertia and quicker engagement. The fact that all the actuation is at the top ofthe throw is a good thing and definitely better for racing.

OP
OP
S

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer listed it as a SPEC twin disk clutch and it is def aftermarket. I havent driven an 08 yet, but I cant imagine an OEM clutch going out to the public like that. Its not insane or anything, just gonna take alot of getting used to. Embarrassed that I stalled it out 3x in my driveway allready. Never did that before in any year viper.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer listed it as a SPEC twin disk clutch and it is def aftermarket. I havent driven an 08 yet, but I cant imagine an OEM clutch going out to the public like that. Its not insane or anything, just gonna take alot of getting used to. Embarrassed that I stalled it out 3x in my driveway allready. Never did that before in any year viper.
Dont feel bad as many have stalled it too, especially if you had a Gen 2 before with a REAL throttle wire and an easier clutch.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing the day I got my '08. Was just not used to the ETC. I never stalled my '01 but my '08 I have a few times.
Embarrassed that I stalled it out 3x in my driveway allready. Never did that before in any year viper.

OP
OP
S

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody think that reverting back to the OEM clutch from the current SPEC twin disk setup will improve driveability? Ive never driven a stock 08. The SPEC in the car now is probably great for racing but tough to live with on a daily basis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang