Clutch slipping or wheelspin? I need advise from the dragmeisters...

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Finally, nice top down weather here! I decided to go out last night (70 degrees out) and practice burnouts and drag runs. I did this about 6 times and experienced the following things of concern because of my shifting errors. Let me first state that my SRT is all stock except for the new (Gripper: round MGW) shift knob.. it feels great!

After two succesful FAST runs up through the "crucial and risky" 3rd gear shift, I shifted into 1st gear when going for 3rd..OUCH, instant deceleration! Revvs go sky high and in a split second... I push in the clutch to avoid harm. I did this TWICE! This mistake can happen sooo quickly, and it is EASY to experience as the SRT is really moving and digging for traction. As you prepare to make that shift to 3rd, you want to make it QUICK and precice. Needless to say, the motion is almost straight up to 3rd with a LITTLE bit of motion to the right. Little room for error on that shift.

There was the distinct smell of clutch material and hot tires. The SRT shifts fine, and the clutch doesn't grab when leaving a stop sign in 1st during normal driving, so I assume it is OK. BUT, when I practiced more acceleration runs (accelerating aggressively in 2nd gear from about 4K rpm) I feel something is slipping. This is either tire spin, or the clutch is slipping. Looking back through the rear-view mirror for rubber marks as I did this did not reveal any rubber.. hhhmmm? So, how do I find out?

How do I make sure the clutch is OK? With so much torque on tap, wheelspin is a fact of life. Any suggestions?

Last question: Would a B&M Short-shifter make for more positive shifts for 2nd to 3rd, and 4th to 5th shifts? The new transmission is wonderful in the SRT. I am NOT an expert driver, but I do practice alot. Would another shift lever mechanism be a vast improvement?

I am sure I am not the only Viper enthusiast to experience this unintentional drastic downshift (come on, you can admit you've done it).

I look forward to your recommendations and thoughts.

Jim :usa:

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your clutch overheated, you may have glazed the disc. You can try to let it cool overnight and drive it in a normal fashion for the next few days. Then try your launches again to see if the problem still exists. Clutch manufacturers recommend a 500 mile break-in period before thrashing on the components.

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Larry;

Thanks for your comments.

My SRT now has 1,200 fantastic miles on the ODO and 2 Mobil 1 oil changes. I followed the 500 mile break-in procedure faithfully. I am sure the clutch was broken in as you wisely suggested; that is good info for other SRT owners to know, as I don't think anyone has even discussed the clutch... just engine and brakes.

The SRT performes flawlessly even after my mis-shifts. What I cannot figure out is whether I am simply experiencing wheelspin, OR, clutch slippage when accelerating. This is best described as cruising along in 2nd gear, at say, 45 mph with the revs up at around 4,000 rpm (just an estimate) and nailing the gas pedal hard; street race style. It is in that sweet instant blast of acceleration where you can FEEL the slip. I am HOPING it is just wheelspin caused by the massive torque and hp of the V-10.

What would be a good way to test this? I don't even know who has a dyno in my area (Waukee, Iowa- 10 miles west of Des Moines). I have experienced clutch slippage for real in my Porsche days; the revs go up but the car doesn't follow along... so to speak. I don't feel anything like that in the SRT (yet, anyway).

Can my local Viper tech do a test of some sort that doesn't require taking the Viper out and flogging it?

Thanks,

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My guess is it's wheelspin, as many SRT-10 owners are mentioning how unbelievably easy it is to spin the tires..... in any gear!

As far as shifting....... as was the case with our Gen1's and Gen2's ......

CONSCIOUS EFFORT must be used when shifting (many experienced 3 to 2nd shift as they tensed up and pulled toward them instead of straight down).

The more relaxed you are, the more likely you WON'T mis-shift.

Good Luck!

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur with Mr. Houss, Jim. I had little time behind the wheel of the SRT I drove, so I wasn't really able to tune into much of what could be normal characteristics.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not exactly the most scientific method, but if you are afraid of clutch slippage there is a pretty easy way to tell. Try rolling along in 2nd or 3rd, then bring the revs up and dump it in 5th. The car should bog, and then lug itself down, and then begin to pull in 5th. If it free revs, lift off the throttle quickly and have your clutch looked at. But as for hte wheelspin, the owner of the SRT-10 I raced reported that the car would begin to spin at the top of 5th around 5000 and that it would spin wickedly going to 2nd. So you may have wheelspin.... Hope that helps.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you mean 1st and not 5th.

I take that back, if the power is there to spin the tires in 5th at 5000 rpm then maybe we have finally reached the point of "enough horsepower'"

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Clutch slipping or wheelspin? I need advise from the dragmeisters...

Hello;

Yes; my idiot shift was into 1st gear when going for 3rd! This is VERY easy to do if you don't supply a VERY slight pressure to the right when making this crucial shift!

This new transmission is fantastic, and it is tight from 2nd to 3rd. At acceration to 60 of about 4.0, this happens VERY quickly; revs are climbing instantly in the SRT as it settles between shifts. You are looking out for COPS, deer, etc on the way to an approximate 1/4 mile!

Be careful; it's not the SRT. It is just a tight shift, and I ned to relax. Meanwhile, I hope my clutch is OK!

Jim

Matt B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry;
Can my local Viper tech do a test of some sort that doesn't require taking the Viper out and flogging it?

Thanks,

If you cannot find a local tech do it, give me a call...I'd be more than happy to help :laugh:

Matt

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just do like we used to back on the farm. Park it up against a tree and let off the clutch. If the engine dies, your clutch is OK!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi