Clutch won't disengage

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just driving the car back into the garage yesterday. I had the clutch depressed and rev'd the engine, just before pulling the car in, to help get any water out of the tail pipes (I had just finished washing the car in the driveway). All of a sudden (with my foot still on the clutch), the clutch fully engages and the car lurches forward. I quickly yanked the car out of first and hit the brakes. Fortunately this happened in this situation rather than while I was driving it hard somewhere. No damage to the car or the garage.

The clutch pedal returns to the normal position and there is spring pressure but it won't disengage the clutch at all. I tried pumping it a few times and the first couple of times it felt like it started to disengage but then something would just let loose and the pedal would go right to the floor. I would take my foot off and the spring would return the pedal, but it then took almost no force to push it to the floor again. Now it doesn't have any feel to it at all, just the spring returning the pedal and the clutch won't disengage.

What is wrong with the clutch and how do I go about fixing it?

OP
OP
R

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. I searched on that and I see that it looks like this is fairly common. This could be really dangerous if it happened on a road course. Does anyone make a slave cylinder that is more robust than the OEM unit?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Most likely you have a clutch slave cylinder problem.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT IS THE MASTER CYLINDER........

It just happened to me 2 weeks ago. Not the slave. It's the Master Cylinder.

p.s.... Go ahead and get the slave cylinder replaced as well, if possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang