Commercial car wash

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Takes more time to go to a car wash than it does to wash it in the driveway. On a trip, I always carry soap, small bucket,a microfiber mit and absorber fake shammy. Then I go find a self serve spray wash or a hose at the hotel! :2tu: My wife thinks I'm obsessed with cleaning my car. :D I hate driving a dirty vehicle period.

She would think that I have lost my mind if she saw the way I traveled!

See that big round brush about to comedown on your $80,000 car? That's full of **** and trash from the 4 wheel drive mudder that just pulled thru before you. Do you really want it coming down on your car?

Plus there is a big sign that says not responsible for damage to your car.

If you are too (let's say busy) to wash it have someone do it for you.

You must be registered for see images

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I never thought I would see a Viper go thru a Commercial Car Wash. When I wash my Baby it takes two days. First I have to put on jack stands, remove all 4 tires, clean fenderwells,both sides of tires & rims, wax inner rim,clean upper & lower control arms & grease, clean & detail fenderwells. Sometimes I think I should change the AIR in tires, but that may be going too far. :rolleyes:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Travelling crosscountry with the Washington VCA I learned from Bill Sand that most Hotels and Motels have ruined towels and are very helpful when you're wanting to wash your car.

Since that trip I usually ask, and receive, old cotton towels and a bucket from 90% of Hotels/Motels I stop at. I find that a pressure wash is often easier and at night the car wash booths have lights!

I've only seen 1 commercial car wash that my car fit and it looked like the one pictured. I've also seen several with piping in the floors that barred any Viper from driving over them (4" ground clearance required).

Ted

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, cotton towels (especially the one that hotels use because of the high heat used to dry them and their cheap quality), are brutal on your paint. Even Sal Zaino, who was an avid supporter of cotton towels went to microfiber. His Borderless Blond towels are excellent.

You have to know a lot about cotton towels to choose one for your paint and the stuff you find on the market today is everything but 100% cotton

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wash with water only and then dry it with the leaf blower. Using that Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer makes the water repel like crazy. It's a small car and it washes quick. No way I would take it to a car wash.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After long drives (300-400 miles) I will use the wand at the car wash to get the heavy accumulation of bugs and dirt off then home it goes for the foam gun and two bucket method mentioned by junkman
My car is a dark color and I am amazed at how easily you can leave marks in the paint the only way my car is ever cleaned is with water and lots of soap. My paint is pristine with very few marks

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why..for the love of theViper gods just why would you put your car through one of those..

Id have a hard time running one of my old corvette or rx7's through one of those...But the Viper..Not even a realistic thought..

REALLY...I mean REALLY????????

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my Viper gets real dirty, ie too much work just to get clean say getting stuck in the rain. I take it to a brushless wash that just has a wand that runs around the car. No big tracking machine, no brushes, just pressure wash. I usually add the undercarriage blast, and just skip through the air dryers. My home is only 1/4 mile from the wash so I get home and micro-fiber dry the car, door jams, and re-do the windows correctly. It only costs $5 and saves a ton of time if I need a quick wash after a long trip.

It's quick and way better than putting the car away dirty.

I didn't see a post were someone did both. Quick gas station pressure wash followed by a detailed hand drying and window cleaning.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you correctly wash the car utilizing a foam gun and a 2-bucket wash, you will do your paint more justice than using nothing but detail spray to remove the dirt.

I'm the laziest car washer in the VCA. HOWEVER, having recently picked up a foam gun, I've gotta admit that it's made the job SOOO much easier! Not only easier, but my black car is far cleaner when I'm done.

It's an amazing product in use AND I can cover the entire car in gorgeous soapy foam while comfortably planted in my VOI X Folding Wash Chair! Lazyman washing for sure! :headbang:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It should be mentioned that if squished bugs are left on the paint they will damage the paint. Even if you only use the car wash to clean the bugs and then show your car (like at VOI) dirty, clean the bugs.

There will be a few areas for handwashing at the Hotels I was informed so there will be opportunities for some to handwash their cars.

Ted

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you guys use water when you wash your cars, or a wire brush? :confused:

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Washed mine today with the 2 bucket method and a foam gun....pita getting rid of the black marks of honor obtained during Pocono Viper Days. Goof Off seemed to work the best.
I used to only use the detail spray thing till the Junkman set me straight...car is much shinier after being washed now

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Washed mine today with the 2 bucket method and a foam gun....pita getting rid of the black marks of honor obtained during Pocono Viper Days. Goof Off seemed to work the best.
I used to only use the detail spray thing till the Junkman set me straight...car is much shinier after being washed now

...and your paint will love you for it. :2tu:

If you start and take the time to remove all the damage from your paint, you will slowly see the results of a proper wash by the fact that your paint will keep getting better and better. The damage will leave and for the most part, stay gone. That's why I'm dying to do a detail clinic for you guys. I can preach all I want on these boards but to see paint correction right before your eyes will more than motivate you to get your paint right and keep it that way. It can be easily done on your cars because the majority of you guys don't use your cars as daily drivers.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mine washed and occasionally waxed by hand at the local car wash...why waste time and mess around doing it yourself?

Some people would say that taking the time to put on a suit is a waste of time when you can just throw on some sweats. But then there are others who take pride in the way they look. ;)

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just use sand paper and a wire brush comes out real nice. :drive:

Other times i just use water and microfiber towels no soap. :dunno:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have mine washed and occasionally waxed by hand at the local car wash...why waste time and mess around doing it yourself?

Although a stock Viper is less risk than mine, I'm sure you've read many "They wrecked my car" threads and that's one of the reasons why you don't give your car to someone else to take to the wash and bring it back.

Another reason YOU (sorry I) was my car is because I find any new scratches and or marks on my car. Looking at a car is easy, but washing a car shows you the condition.

Driving your car to a car wash and waiting for them to wash your car for you means that they do a better job than yourself? Like everything related to automotive tehnologies, I do my best to learn the best way to wash, wax, polish and detail (car wash). Very seldom does anyone ever touch my car. I trust very few people with any of my cars.

Ted

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my Viper gets real dirty, ie too much work just to get clean say getting stuck in the rain. I take it to a brushless wash that just has a wand that runs around the car. No big tracking machine, no brushes, just pressure wash. I usually add the undercarriage blast, and just skip through the air dryers. My home is only 1/4 mile from the wash so I get home and micro-fiber dry the car, door jams, and re-do the windows correctly. It only costs $5 and saves a ton of time if I need a quick wash after a long trip.

It's quick and way better than putting the car away dirty.

I didn't see a post were someone did both. Quick gas station pressure wash followed by a detailed hand drying and window cleaning.

That's what I usually do for a quick wash. But I dry & quick wax next to fuel pumps, under the overhang to keep the sun from wrecking my day. Never had an issue with gas station owners complaining.

I usually spray down the wheels with cleaner prior to pulling into the wash.

Nick

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the Shell touchless laser wash close to my place.No guides to curb the wheels .My 03 Navigator's paint still looks new ,so is the 99 Viper's.No fade or scratch :headbang:

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people would say that taking the time to put on a suit is a waste of time when you can just throw on some sweats. But then there are others who take pride in the way they look. ;)

Really? It's only a car IMO...did the same with my F. BTW, I take my Brioni and Armani suits to the cleaners too.
Don't own sweats, not my style :)

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watch weather.com and if a storm is coming, I dump dish soap all over it.

Don't forget the anti-spotting additive!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi