COMP COUPE RACING EXHAUST?

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at CC exhaust, the dealership that was doing the work called a tech at dodge during install with a question. He recommended against CC exhaust if you do not change the cam and programming also (power loss and engine light). Fortunately the exhaust was able to be returned and I went with the mopar w/o crossover and am very happy.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having the programming done by DC performance when I do the exhaust. Dan actually suggested this exhaust over the straight pipe I wanted.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read a lot on this site about people eliminating their crossover. Is their a proven gain for this? All of the information I have seen comparing no crossover, h-pipe, and x-pipe has always shown the X-Pipe come out with the highest amount of horsepower. I'm not saying that this is necessarily true for the viper, I'm just curious to know what other people have found with different combinations.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock CC exhaust with headers will be loudest...but it will never pass sound on west coast tracks. Shorty weighs less and make more power. On a new car it is @ a $700 option. It has cost me over $1300 in parts now to retro fit. They sell a stainless steel pre-cut plate that fits over the old holes. But you have to bend into shape and rivet on. I made the mistake of asking for a rivet kit and it cost me over a $100. It was about $10 worth of rivets but a couple were oddball type rivets and I am not sure where I would have found them. New sills would cost over $3000 plus paint and install.Also, Dodge did not have the insulation for the shorty exhaust, but once again Woodhouse race folks came through and sold me a spare set they had.. They are a class shop! I was trying to run VRL at Reno next weekend but out of town (Vegas) and cannot finish so I will just track my new FE Coupe.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say "shorty", do they have 2 seperate systems, one with a bigger and one with a smaller muffler? Thanks for your input. I wont be running headers for a while which is why I wanted the straight pipe. :2tu:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read a lot on this site about people eliminating their crossover. Is their a proven gain for this? All of the information I have seen comparing no crossover, h-pipe, and x-pipe has always shown the X-Pipe come out with the highest amount of horsepower. I'm not saying that this is necessarily true for the viper, I'm just curious to know what other people have found with different combinations.

I think the crossover on the G3 is further back than your typical crossover pipe. It has to be close enough to the engine to assist in cylinder exhaust evacuation/cylinder filling dynamics to be of any use.

I made one for my G1 10yrs ago that cut my ET by .25sec (25hp) in back to back runs. One just like it will be going on my newly purchased 1999 GTS soon. I've already installed the plumbing, - just have to bolt up the crossover pipe when I'm ready to test.

Reading some magazine articles on exhaust tests recently, I've found one popular author who's done a huge amount of exhaust systems dyno research saying that crossovers add power at least 60% of the time, along with quieting exhaust system down a bit. As long as the crossover OD is at least 2.25" OD. Length doesn't seem to be a factor-just OD.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE 065, I have built exhaust systems with and without the factory crossover installed. In every case the viper ran better and sounded better with the crossover installed. I tried it with Belamger headers, straight pipes, RT cats, just mufflers, and all kinds of setups on a stock engine. The result was always the same, the crossover won out. I am running RT cats and our exhaust system with out the crossover and I am putting the crossover back in the car as it performs the better with it. I like thFormula 1 sound better too. But hell, I amk deft from all the years of racing before Nascar mandated mufflers on Modifieds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen