Considering selling the Viper for a Ford GT. Opinions

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2006 GT with 1500 miles on it. It is a 4 option car but the problem is it has a salvage title. I would have the car gone through by the GT Guys in Monroe Mi. I dont know a lot about the GT's but I know I love them and by all accounts they are about the only other super car that is as reliable as the Viper. I am wondering if there are any experts out there on the GT's that would have an opinion on what the value of this car would be with a salvage title. I see them listed all over for $150,000.00 plus for low mileage cars. All opinions are welcome. If I did decide to buy it I would have to sell my Viper which would kill me but there are lots of Vipers around for reasonable money but GT's are hard to come by. I would be back in a Viper at some time but the chance to on a GT might be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have a feeling that they will go through the roof in value when the economy picks up again.

Thanks guys.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
long term value would be low with salvage title. i wouldn't fool with it unless i could afford one with a clean title. too much risk IMO.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with hank but i tend to keep my junkers for a long time and not worry about that stuff

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to check out the " Salvage Title" , I am not sure but you may have trouble bringing the car into Canada with a Salvage Title if it is in the USA. Just a thought.:D:D

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By all means dont buy a salvage car but DO buy a Ford GT in good cond. They are out there and the car will only go up in value. Only made for 3 years and I admire the ones that bought one or two and keeping low mileage for the huge profit to come down the road. A Barret Jackson future special. And what a great car !!

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine had one at his body shop that was what appeared to be a total loss. The frame was bent really bad as was every panel and wheel on the car. However, the insurance co refused to total the vehicle. In my opinion, it's just not worth the hassle. Just save the pennies and buy one when you can.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say that the question is best asked on the Ford GT forum.

It all depends on the car's price, condition, your disposable income, and the amount of lust you have in your heart.

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is already in Canada and has been plated, inspected etc already so there is no problem that way. I have known about the car since it was brought in to Canada a few years ago and there was no frame damage, it was all body panels that were replaced. It's not a car that I would be scared of at all that way but me only concern is the salvage title. I have seen salbage cars gettinf sold in the $120,000.00 range and I can buy this one for considerably less. I am just wondering what you think it would be worth if its perfect and documented by the best Ford GT repair guys out there? At some point even a salvage title is a deal but at what point does it become a great deal?

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is already in Canada and has been plated, inspected etc already so there is no problem that way. I have known about the car since it was brought in to Canada a few years ago and there was no frame damage, it was all body panels that were replaced. It's not a car that I would be scared of at all that way but me only concern is the salvage title. I have seen salbage cars gettinf sold in the $120,000.00 range and I can buy this one for considerably less. I am just wondering what you think it would be worth if its perfect and documented by the best Ford GT repair guys out there? At some point even a salvage title is a deal but at what point does it become a great deal?

The guy in Lufkin TX is getting a buck and a quarter for them. I wouldn't touch a salvage car, but if this is that good of a deal, it might be hard to pass on.

kilr4d

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pics? Where was the car hit?

3 of my friends here in Toronto have GT's and they are all salvage title. Each one is indistinguishable from an untouched car.

Edit: For the guys that don't want a salvage title car, understand that GT's are like Vipers...the msrp on parts is outrageous. I saw a 2006 with low miles get auctioned for under $90k 2 weeks ago and it only needed MINOR front cosmetic work.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salvage means turn, and walk away as fast as you can. I would never touch this stuff with a 10' pole. One day at 120 mph on a track you get that terrible high speed wobble, the car shakes like crazy and you go sideways.....not the best thing for your well being. They are nice cars for sure but at what cost?

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salvage GTs can still go for 6 figures. I would be inclined to get a higher mileage good title GT for $130K. Call some of the dealers on the GT forum. I saw a gorgeous high mile black one not long ago for $119,000--looked new.

They are fun cars.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes Ford GT's are highly collectable, especially with low miles. I would normally say go for it as there are a ton more Vipers available than the Ford GTs. I would say that, except for the fact the one you are looking at is a salvage. It's very unlikely a salvage gt would carry any real value in the future no matter how good it looks. If you are not looking at future value, then go for it, but don't expect it to be an investment.

Last edited:

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Ford GT's are highly collectable, especially with low miles. I would normally say go for it as there are a ton more Vipers available than the Ford GTs. I would say that, except for the fact the one you are looking at is a salvage. It's very unlikely a salvage gt would carry any real value in the future. If you are not looking at future value, then go for it, but don't expect it to be an investment.

well said i agree

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
`I wouldn't bother with the GT forum, the posts will be identical.

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Ford GT's are highly collectable, especially with low miles. I would normally say go for it as there are a ton more Vipers available than the Ford GTs. I would say that, except for the fact the one you are looking at is a salvage. It's very unlikely a salvage gt would carry any real value in the future no matter how good it looks. If you are not looking at future value, then go for it, but don't expect it to be an investment.

I totally agree that it will never be worth what a non salvage car would be worth but isnt it relative? If a salvage title car is selling for 30 G less than a non salvage today would it not make sense that if in 10 or 20 years a no story car that may be selling for $400g, a salvage title car would bring in $250G? or would the value of a salvage car just stay the same or even go down in value? I cant imagine the values on these cars ever going down....unless we run out of gas..haha

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chrisss. If you are buying it for the passion and awesome car it is, get it. If you are even thinking of selling it in the near future you will not have an easy time selling it for any profit. If you are speculating bear in mind there are not too many financial institutions that will loan on a salvage title, so prospective buyers at the higher price will be harder to find. I have owned more than a few salvage vehicles and you NEVER get what you feel they are worth. Drive 'em for what they are worth....salvage and don't think twice about it.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My views are usually in far left field so with that in mind here goes ;)

I believe there will be a point in time where original vs rebuilt will be a very, very narrow gap - but still a gap. Look at the 40-60 year old American cars - "frame off" restorations bring huge money, sometimes more than the all original cars. So what is the difference between a body panel that was replaced because of collision damage versus one that was replaced from rust. I look at heavily restored cars no different than salvage cars. 2 thoughts: 1) did they repair the car correctly, will it fly apart at speed? 2) did they repair all the rust, find all the rust, will the car crack in half at speed?

As far as value (money) I look at it the same as you, a percentage. Yes the guy in Lufkin, TX is around $120k, $30k under. If you get one for less than that from a reputable rebuilder - what's the risk? Again the guy in Lufkin is still getting $120k for his. So long as your expectations are reasonable regarding appreciation or resale value then you will be a-ok. A $120k GT purchased today and sold for $130k in 2+ years is still a great deal! So long as you don't expect $175k for it in 2 years like the other ones.

Good luck, they are a fun, awesome car!

Vipers are in a wierd funk of a spot IMO. I think they will snap-back. The ACRs are still doing well. Again it's wierd given the huge number of new ACRs still at the dealerships...

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with FastZilla. While some are content to buy a car to store for the future, what is the fun in that. Why keep one stock either?:D Drive them, and enjoy them. Sure clean titles are better than others, but for the right price, drive the hell out of it.:2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my take for what it's worth. If your that desperate to be seen in a GT and you can't otherwise afford one, well then I guess that's what you have to do. Personally, unless I crashed the car in the first place (been there) and I inspected every single weld and nut and bolt on the car, I would not risk my life. Yes I'm extreme, but I don't trust any body shop nor do trust the welding skills of any but a few in this world. Like I said, your talking about a vehicle capable of 200mph, being repaired by a bunch of "experts". All I can say is ignorance is bliss, and from all accounts your there.

Just as a side note, I'm not dissing you for likeing the GT. It is by far my favorite car of all time.

Last edited:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call your insurance agent. Many will not even write insurance on a salvage vehicle. (comp and liability only) Their opinion is, that it has already been paid out in full once and can not be paid out in full a second time.

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my take for what it's worth. If your that desperate to be seen in a GT and you can't otherwise afford one, well then I guess that's what you have to do. Personally, unless I crashed the car in the first place (been there) and I inspected every single weld and nut and bolt on the car, I would not risk my life. Yes I'm extreme, but I don't trust any body shop nor do trust the welding skills of any but a few in this world. Like I said, your talking about a vehicle capable of 200mph, being repaired by a bunch of "experts". All I can say is ignorance is bliss, and from all accounts your there.

Just as a side note, I'm not dissing you for likeing the GT. It is by far my favorite car of all time.

It has nothing to do with being "seen" in a GT. I love the cars but hell, I drive around in a bright yellow convertible Viper?? How much more "seen" does it get??? LOL. As far as "ignorance is bliss", if that were the case I wouldnt be on here asking others on here their opinion and would have just made the deal. There's always lots to learn from others experiences and mistakes. If I do decide to go ahead with it I would be sending the car to the top GT guys around to make sure it is perfect. They have worked on tons of GT's and were part of the original design team of the GT so they know these cars inside and out and many on the GT forum will only take their cars to these guys to get them worked on. It would be the same as having Chuck Tator go over your car, do whatever work was needed and give you the green light. In the Viper world he is next to God, as are the GT GUYs to Ford GT's. Regardless I am still not convinced 100% and may pass on the deal. Still trying to decide. As far as insurance that is a non issue here. Our insurance company doesnt treat rebuilt titles any different than any other car. As long as they pass our safety inspections they are good to go.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rizzo, if you want to get a better idea on what it's worth, ask the people who sell them for a living. Call Bernie Katz at Tomball, he has sold a number of them over the years. Find a dealer or broker who is active in GT's and ask them too.

Lot's of good comments have been posted regarding, insurance, licensing and financing, make sure your needs match what you can do as well as what a future buyers options in these areas are.

What would be good to know for both you and the future resale is what was the damage including estimates and pictures. I personally would have a hard time beleiving that it was body panels only, I've never seen a late model viper totalled without frame damage. At that high a price point you have a very limited audience for re-sale unless it is an absolute steal. If you have thoughts of selling in the next couple of years I'd recommend you buy a non-salavage GT. Good luck! Mike

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great Post and IMO if the deal is good enough then go for it !

There will be many a viper for sell now and in the future.

GT's will only become harder to find.

It has nothing to do with being "seen" in a GT. I love the cars but hell, I drive around in a bright yellow convertible Viper?? How much more "seen" does it get??? LOL. As far as "ignorance is bliss", if that were the case I wouldnt be on here asking others on here their opinion and would have just made the deal. There's always lots to learn from others experiences and mistakes. If I do decide to go ahead with it I would be sending the car to the top GT guys around to make sure it is perfect. They have worked on tons of GT's and were part of the original design team of the GT so they know these cars inside and out and many on the GT forum will only take their cars to these guys to get them worked on. It would be the same as having Chuck Tator go over your car, do whatever work was needed and give you the green light. In the Viper world he is next to God, as are the GT GUYs to Ford GT's. Regardless I am still not convinced 100% and may pass on the deal. Still trying to decide. As far as insurance that is a non issue here. Our insurance company doesnt treat rebuilt titles any different than any other car. As long as they pass our safety inspections they are good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten