Considering selling the Viper for a Ford GT. Opinions

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT Guys, Rich and Dennis would be the best to look it over . They are constantly working on or rebuilding GTs. They have worked on mine.

I do not agree that it would be a waste of time going to the GT forum--a lot of helpful advice there and some good delaers.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Post and IMO if the deal is good enough then go for it !

There will be many a viper for sell now and in the future.

GT's will only become harder to find.

Couldn't have been said any better. What made me bite the bullet on the GT was that they aren't getting cheaper any time soon, and most likely will not. I missed the 125K days of old. The GT is appreciating in a down economy, and most likely will hold or continue to rise. I bought while I could, absolutely am in love with the 2000 mile car that I know and know the owner of, and am absolutely thrilled about my decision. Vipers are very replaceable, and if the GT is clean and cheap, even with a salvage title, you should do fine if and ever you go to sell.

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Couldn't have been said any better. What made me bite the bullet on the GT was that they aren't getting cheaper any time soon, and most likely will not. I missed the 125K days of old. The GT is appreciating in a down economy, and most likely will hold or continue to rise. I bought while I could, absolutely am in love with the 2000 mile car that I know and know the owner of, and am absolutely thrilled about my decision. Vipers are very replaceable, and if the GT is clean and cheap, even with a salvage title, you should do fine if and ever you go to sell.

Good Decision Tucker !

You will LOVE the car once you get some good seat time.

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
stay away from salvage vehicles. If this was a clean title, no accident Ford GT, I would have said go for it in a heart beat.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DON'T BUY IT!!! It won't be worth anything except to you.. :nono:

Or me.For that matter, if he is buying it to drive and enjoy it and can save serious $$ he should consider it. The first people to slam salvage cars are the ones who usually don't know what end of a screwdriver to use.

Salvage titles are different in almost every state. A train-wrecked car in Ohio isn't the same as a bodywork car in Florida. Both can have salvage titles but aren't obviously the same.

Unfortunately all of them can't be painted with the same broad brush. As a person who will sometimes buy a salvage car, I am glad that most of you won't give them a second look. Better price for me.

Oh, and I had my last salvage car out about a month ago and no shakes or shimmies at 160.

Ron

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never buy a Salvage title car. As others have said, they basically have zero value, aside from the parts the car is made up of.. There are SOO many issues that come along with the car. Insurability, resale,financing(even if you dont need to, the potential buyer might, down the road).

Pay the money, for the right car.. Or keep the Viper.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or me.For that matter, if he is buying it to drive and enjoy it and can save serious $$ he should consider it. The first people to slam salvage cars are the ones who usually don't know what end of a screwdriver to use.

Salvage titles are different in almost every state. A train-wrecked car in Ohio isn't the same as a bodywork car in Florida. Both can have salvage titles but aren't obviously the same.

Unfortunately all of them can't be painted with the same broad brush. As a person who will sometimes buy a salvage car, I am glad that most of you won't give them a second look. Better price for me.

Oh, and I had my last salvage car out about a month ago and no shakes or shimmies at 160.

Ron

Ron you are correct, that all cars can't be judged with the same brush, but unless you were involved in the wreck and went through every single piece of the car, you ultimately do not know what part may be on the verge of failure. The Viper and the GT as well as most other exotics use many alloys that may not show any exterior signs of damage but may very well be ready to fail. You simply just don't know, and that's a fact. If your buying the car to just cruise around the block, and not use it for it's original design spec., well then maybe. Your car may be just fine and that's great, but salvage cars have a bad wrap for good reason. It's a roll of the dice and personally for someone like me who is not rich, I don't have 80 or 90 grand to gamble with. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions ;).

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If there's no structural [frame ] damage to the car , I'd buy that Ford GT and keep it for ever.;)
Any fiberglass car can be salvaged because of the cost of replacement panels. Back in 1986 I bought a 750 Honda VFR Interceptor for $1500 with only fairing damage [ Honda charged an arm & leg for the replacement parts, just like Chrysler dealers charge for the GTS clamshell :eater:] that the ins company wrote off. Had it for many years and sold it for $ 3000 .Guy who bought it still rides it today. I restored quite few classic bikes and them being wrecked or rusted never hurt their values.Do any of you guys think an AC Cobra would be unsellable if it was sitting in a garage for decades being banged up ;).
God only knows how many times this 1938 Norton I restored has been involved in some kind of crash .
I sold it for a pretty sum few years ago.

You must be registered for see images

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I would have to say, salvage title means almost nothing provided that it has been properly repaired.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id buy a salvage viper/FGT if it was fixed right with the right parts and checked over by a select few tuners.

but it would have to be at the right price and id know going into it, id be keeping it for a longtime and wouldn't expect to make anything from it if i sold down the road.

i tend to keep cars for a while and drive the tires off them anyways and i sure would on one of those cars....

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>The Viper and the GT as well as most other exotics use many alloys that may not show any exterior signs of damage but may very well be ready to fail. You simply just don't know, and that's a fact. If your buying the car to just cruise around the block, and not use it for it's original design spec., well then maybe. Your car may be just fine and that's great, but salvage cars have a bad wrap for good reason. It's a roll of the dice and personally for someone like me who is not rich, I don't have 80 or 90 grand to gamble with.<<<

My RT/10 has been crashed by a so-called "Viper-Tech" (in fact an idiot) and he did never admit to replace - for example - all of the A-arms besides many more other parts (rims, tires, ...) which [might] have been damaged ... the insurance company totaled the car - right decision - because the frame was bent too. 8 A-arms alone are what? +10000 US$.......you will never know whether ALL relevant parts have been changed after an accident/incident. Even so-called Viper-Tech's will try to cheat (because he was the driver when the accident happened) .........It is a high performance car going 200 mph! :crazy2: You will need to know the full story and not only 70-80%.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have owned more than 30 salvaged Vipers and I would say 50 salvage cars all together. I have had many salvage vipers on the track.

I have a Viper that was salvage by the insurance co that only needed a headlight and some hood repair. No frame damage and still the original front bumper cover. My wife drives it today with my 5 year old daughter in it. Do you think I would allow that if it was a problem???

I have seen Vipers that were damaged very bad and repaired by the insurance co and the original owner had to keep the car. Frame damage repaired and so on.

It is all up to the laws in each state and what the insurance co wants to do.

I feel that if you repair them right you are far better off then the next guy because you just left yourself some extra money for MODS :) and you usually have fresh paint without any chips in it.

Now they have a bad reputation for a reason. There are a lot of people repairing cars that cut corners. NOT ALL but they are out there. If you don't know anything about them than you should have one checked out by a Viper Tech or ? before you buy. It will stand out if a person cut corners.

Also keep in mind that any used car could have had the same damaged and also repaired poorly with a clean car fax... You are buying USED and I don't care how nice the dealership is. I have had cars that I repaired being resold at the nicest dealer in town. At least with salvage you know what you are getting up front.

In the end if you want to save some money and have fun cars to drive than go for it. If you don't care about money and have extra to burn then find the most expensive one out there.

For anyone who thinks they are worth Zero please find me some. I will take all I can get :)

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was to buy a salvage title car, MBCCenter would be an exception to my rule. I believe he does great work and is very reputable. Just my 2 cents....:2tu:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on guys this is the viper sit..If anyone should know salvaged cars it should be us. Im pretty syure we havethe worlds most wrecked exotic last time I checked..

I hit a medium at about 30 mph in my 1999 viper..No BS the car had 6 inches worth of damage to the hood and a cracked font bumper and scratches on the rear drivers side wheel...that was it!!!!!

SALVAGED

I even drove the car home from the accident and continued driveing it. Then when they salvaged it I bought it back from the insurance and sold it to a shop the next day..Insurance cut me a check for more than I paid for the car and then when I bought it back and sold it I made anpother 10K.

All for a car that was suppossedly salvaged but really only needed a new hood/bumper and rear rim..Still drove showroom stock

RIZZO...Check it out and if you like it live the dream! My buddy had a properly rebuilt GTS Viper and AMG mercedes that he autocrossed and drag raced..In the end its just a car that may have had minor cosmetic blushes or may have been seriously wrecked..GT guys will know within 20 minutes..

Good luck and I hope you get it if its in good condition

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the record, I have been known to cause a minimum of six inches of damage.:rolaugh::bolt:

Carry on.

Last edited:

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you hit a medium? Or something else?:)

You ba#ta$d. I just spewed coffee all over my computer...LOL. Man did this post just take a wrong turn...hahahaha. That was funny. :lmao:

:rolaugh: Thigh actually. All was salvageable and I escaped with minor injuries. And yes, it took a wrong turn.:D

Sorry again. Buy the GT already.

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another vote for going for it. Cars shouldn't be investments. If you have it checked out and stands up, I can't think of another car on earth I would rather own. Take pics!!

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Roy... Hows the turbo?

I love this TWIN TURBO Viper of all the Vipers I have had. If I hadn't of bought this one that used to be Casey's, that TWIN TURBO Viper you have for sale was my next choice to buy. That is a really nice one you have for sale. If someone wants a Great deal on a Twin Turbo, they need to get ahold of you about that one... Be safe!! :2tu: :headbang:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Tucker said: "Buy the GT" - Drive the piss out of it. You will be one of the few lucky GT owners that actually drive them & not worry about resale.

F'n resale always pops into my mind every time I turn the key. I hope I get over it soon. It's really not that important & it spoils the ownership experience. (I just don't want to take a bath on one). If you can drive it for a while and sell it for what you have in it - you have WON!!! Go check out rental rates on a FGT...

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my GT forever so if you are like me and not buying it for investment purposes, then go for it. You'll get to enjoy the car for a lifetime (or a very long time). The stock bottom end in that "salvage" car is good for 1000+ reliable HP. Furthermore, the GT Guys Ron and Dennis the OP mentioned in the first post were part of Ford's GT development team and if anyone knew how to fix a wrecked GT, that'd be them. And if they give the car a clean bill of health, I wouldn't hesitate to drive or even track the car at all.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to say, salvage title means almost nothing provided that it has been properly repaired.
It means you will NEVER sell it for any real money - EVER. It may be perfectly fine if you're planning to keep it forever and just drive it. I'm in the process of acquiring one now...and there are (quite) a few out there with salvage title, but getting into the 120+k range, which when compared to a low mileage NON-SALVAGE, just isn't worth it. In 15-20 yrs from now, when one one of these GT's goes up on the block and commands big scratch, guaranteed, it won't one with a salvage title.

You can get a salvage title vehicle in perfect cosmetic/driving condition today for 110-120k...but you can also get one with low mileage for about 40k more...which may be worth 10 times that 40K in 15 years from now. Bottom line.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It means you will NEVER sell it for any real money - EVER. It may be perfectly fine if you're planning to keep it forever and just drive it. I'm in the process of acquiring one now...and there are (quite) a few out there with salvage title, but getting into the 120+k range, which when compared to a low mileage NON-SALVAGE, just isn't worth it. In 15-20 yrs from now, when one one of these GT's goes up on the block and commands big scratch, guaranteed, it won't one with a salvage title.

You can get a salvage title vehicle in perfect cosmetic/driving condition today for 110-120k...but you can also get one with low mileage for about 40k more...which may be worth 10 times that 40K in 15 years from now. Bottom line.

You use a lot of absolutes in your post. First, the statement about never selling for "real" money. Really? As compared to what? If the guy buys it for 30% less than a clean car and sells it for 30% less, then it is kind of a wash isn't it? It also depends on who will buy it. Granted, a collector won't but there are a lot of car guys around (like me) who will buy a correctly repaired car and stick the roughly 30% in my pocket. Better yet, I will buy a salvaged car that HASN'T been fixed yet and do the work myself. That way I know what the deal is.

Do you really think that the FGT will be worth 400K in 15 years? If so, I have a bridge that you might want to buy.:lmao:

And as far as cars go, there is no "bottom line", just your perspective.

Ron

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I too wouldn't buy a salvage title car in the 120's, but the rest of your post if full of some pretty subjective and rather flawed absolutes.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

God I hope you are right.

OP
OP
R

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So by your theory if a minty low miles no story GT sells for $500,000.00 in 15 years a rebuilt title car in the same shape with low miles will still only be worth $110,000.00???? .. I dont think so. The prices will all be relative. If the no story brings in $500G then I think the storied car will still be worth less for sure and probably at least 30% less which would still put it in the $350G range. Even if it was 40% less value it still would sell for $300G. I also think the more a car ages the less a rebuilt title will mean if someone has owned a car for 15 or 20 years and it has never had an issue. I dont think there is any danger of loosing money on the GT's as they are one of the only cars out there that have held any sort of resale in the past few years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude