Convertible Roll Bars... Pics...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone that has purchased aftermarket rollbars for a Gen 3/4 convertible had them painted in a different color other than the powder-coated black? If so, can you post a pic? Thanks. :)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here's a pic from Woodhouse's gallery on facebook. There's a few more angles there on facebook if you want a better view.

white_convert_acr.jpg

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Rocket. Not sure about it... I will have to check the website.

I am putting similar roll bars on my silver SRT-10 convertible. I will probably stay with the black. I guess the only colors I would consider would be silver (to match the car) or GTS Blue (to match the ACR type striping I will be doing). Hmmmm....

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic from Woodhouse's gallery on facebook. There's a few more angles there on facebook if you want a better view.

white_convert_acr.jpg

I looked them up on Facebook and all I found was a simple page with their name, etc. I did not see a gallery. I must be Facebook illiterate.:lmao:

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine painted venom red to match my car and they look awesome! Attached is a picture that I had on my phone - can post a better picture later when I get home.

Attachments

• vert rear.jpg
    vert rear.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look up Woodhouse Motorsports Division
Click on the Photos Tab (top middle of page)
Click on the Shop Cars Album and scroll down.

Or try this link:

Shop cars | Facebook

Thanks. Got it. I don't know why I could not see this before. I think it was because I found Woodhouse and not the Motorsports Divivsion. Gee, not only do you have the coolest looking Viper, but you are computer savy too... :D

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That rollbar in the pic is the Autoform?

Does the leather "boot" cover still fit over the retracted convertible roof with that rollbar setup?

Thanks!!

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, my roll bar is an Autoform. Each car is hand built so the fit is different so each one fits differently. Mine was difficult to fit and the top is very snug. I have never tried fitting the leather boot because it was a pain before I made the changes.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks B&R for the info.

How about the white ACR vert rollbar in the other pic that doesn't have that crossbar between the hoops? Is that an Autoform bar also?
The crossbar seems like it would offer more protection but would obscure your rear view mirror.

mykes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The roll bar with the cross bar visible is the old style,the new ones still have the cross bar,but it's underneath the bulk head cover that's the one i have(i think it looks better hidden).As for the boot(top cover)it still fits,but yes is a pain in the butt!I installed the rollbar my self and found it not that hard to put in.I would suggest you have a helper,and be prepaired to do sum cutting!!!!I would'nt track my vert with out it.For what it's worth i think i think i dropped a couple seconds of my lap times. lol.I think it's the first mod anyone should do if they track there verts!
Myke

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will leave the color black. On a silver car the black looks fine. I am not sure that I like the colored rollbars. The red one is pretty good, but the white looks strange to me. I think I will stick with black.

JonB sells the Autoform one that hides the crossbar. Autoform states that the boot that covers the convertible top when it is down should still fit. That was a concern of mine after I just bought the cover recently and I like the clean look. I am going to put my top down and compare the Autoform filler panel pictures with the stock panel to see if they are similar around the edges.

Thanks to all for your input. :)

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for safety and plan to add a roll bar to my vert. But, I would think a Viper roll-over is a very rare event based on width and low stance (center of gravity). Has anyone ever seen a Viper roll over on track or street accident?

mykes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought from jonB also,same rollbar.Mine is on a 05 silver vert and like i said the cover will still go on.I think it looks best black,but that's my opinion.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for safety and plan to add a roll bar to my vert. But, I would think a Viper roll-over is a very rare event based on width and low stance (center of gravity). Has anyone ever seen a Viper roll over on track or street accident?

I've seen pictures of one going over. Never in person. The issue is not that the car will suddenly turn over in a turn but it can flip when tripped. Saw pics of a Viper at Hallet (I think it was Hallet) that went off track, hit a tire wall, went air born, and rolled. Not pretty. There are also plenty of street crashes on this site that may have been helped by a rollbar. The stock hoops are a joke. You'll realize that as soon as you take them out. They are made out of what appears to be thin aluminum.

I had Chris Barone (site sponsor) put the Autoform bar in my old 03. It was a tight fit with the top. In fact the top wore the powdercoat off a section from rubbing when going up and down.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen pictures of one going over. Never in person. The issue is not that the car will suddenly turn over in a turn but it can flip when tripped. Saw pics of a Viper at Hallet (I think it was Hallet) that went off track, hit a tire wall, went air born, and rolled. Not pretty. There are also plenty of street crashes on this site that may have been helped by a rollbar. The stock hoops are a joke. You'll realize that as soon as you take them out. They are made out of what appears to be thin aluminum.

I had Chris Barone (site sponsor) put the Autoform bar in my old 03. It was a tight fit with the top. In fact the top wore the powdercoat off a section from rubbing when going up and down.

Thanks gbatejan, I think this mod just moved up on my priority list. I have heard a good swing with a bat would knock the OEM's off :omg:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm sure it was a liability thing - but the roll hoops actually bolt into a pretty strong section. Why they went with the aluminum hoops was a joke. Surprised one of the vendors hasnt come up with a thick steel tube replacement. Probably not as good as a full roll bar - but it would have to be better than stock.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought from jonB also,same rollbar.Mine is on a 05 silver vert and like i said the cover will still go on.I think it looks best black,but that's my opinion.

I agree. I think I am going with black on my silver car. With the addition of some GTS Blue items (ACR stripe, dash bezel, brakes, emblems), that should be enough color accents. Having GTS Blue or silver rollbars might bee too much.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Unfortunately, Yes. We have purchased dozens that went tires-up. Some I recall:

-They hit something going forward or rearward, that launched them.
--They slid sideways into a curb and rolled (like Kelsey Grammer and Fla-Sam)
---They slid sideways into dirt, tires dug in sideways, and then rolled. (Tommy Archer)
---The Chicago rental that was on TV, after hitting a hydrant.

The Fla event ejected the driver and he expired. Sad, sad day, memorialized in Viper Mag.

The AutoForm Roll Bar has been "directly credited" with preventing serious injury, or ANY injury in some few events as well.

Note: Not many of the totalled cars we see have great tires, unless a newbee-driver lost control of that new car.

Last edited:

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have one, but left the black powder coat on since my car is black. I was rear-ended last year in the car and I swear the bar and the harnesses allowed me to walk away.

The bar really stiffens up the car. You can feel it as you bolt it in. I know the Viper is a well built car and designed for crashes, but the car crumbled right up to where the bar is. Even for street driving, I recommend a bar and harnesses for a roadster.

I have to say, after about a year and a half and 4k miles, the bar has faded pretty bad. Not impressed with the powder coat. I plan to try and correct it this winter.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been giving an autoform roll hoop purchase thought.

I dont track however "safer" is better.

Couple things.

One member here said the autoform powdercoating is poor and faded shortly after install.

Anyone else have that problem with autoform roll hoop powdercoating fading, cracking, breaking down?

On an aesthetic que... in pics it looks like the hoops tilt/incline toward the rear of the car significantly... while the seat headrests tilt forward.

Does the tilting back hoops relative to the tilting forward headrests look awkward in real life on the car?

From the Woodhouse facebook pics, too bad autoform didnt add 1 small angular bend in the tubing going down to the car floor to "kick" the angle of the hoops a bit more forward.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that maybe a lot of "sealant" or "wax" or both that has UV protectant may help with the fading. That is my hope.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the old style autoform with the cross member showing..car is yellow and my bar is black...visibility is vey bad rearward but i have a rear faceing camera and kenwood flat screen system that allows me to see everything perfectly..personally i love the cross bar showing..it is the perfect spot to put your racing numbers of vettes **** or whatever you wish in a removable sticker form and only have it show when the tops down...ive got a nice vid of mine ill dig up

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On an aesthetic que... in pics it looks like the hoops tilt/incline toward the rear of the car significantly... while the seat headrests tilt forward.

Does the tilting back hoops relative to the tilting forward headrests look awkward in real life on the car?

From the Woodhouse facebook pics, too bad autoform didnt add 1 small angular bend in the tubing going down to the car floor to "kick" the angle of the hoops a bit more forward.

The angles of the hoops are almost the same as factory. They look fine.

An option for a removable drag bar would be nice though. They list the bar as NHRA cert. but I'm pretty sure NHRA requires at least a DS drag bar.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just looked at the Woodhouse pics again and find it funny to see the sunvisors on the ACR Roadster. Those things flap down when you hit around 100. Why have a big wing, only functional at higher speeds and have visors only capable of low speed driving! Mine flapped down on way home from the dealer when I bought the car. Sunvisors came off as soon as I pulled in the garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang