Cool reaction from a local kid in parking lot

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is back with those incredible 547 R's all the way around, extensive brake work, and many details, but I still have some hood damage which is the most insane part about fixing a Viper, and I am still waiting to rectify this. ANYWAY, I could not resist taking the imperfect, black, shiny '94 out last Saturday. I ran into a package store in my hometown, as I pulled up, a boy, about 12, stopped dead in his tracks, he was walking into the plaza, and stared as I pulled in. I came back to the car 10 minutes later, and he was sitting on the curb, 5 feet from my car, fixated on the snake, literally he didn't even break his gaze until I was opening the door. As I opened my door, he started to walk away, then turned and said, 'is that your car, it is so sick.' We talked for a couple of minutes, bec. he wanted to know more about the car, and I told him some basics about the engine, etc. Coolest part was as I started to back out, he thanked me for taking to him, as if I was some type of celeb or something, he clearly was lonely. Then he said that looking at the Viper in person 'makes me want to work hard and get one someday.' I replied, 'don't let anyone or anything stop you from getting what you want in life, especially if people tell you you can't.' And he watched me pull out of the lot. Well, it made me flash back to being a kid and setting my sites on getting a Viper...

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story! I keep 1/64 scale B/W Vipers in my glove box for good/special kids like that. Sounds cheesy, but they love it when I let them sit in the drivers seat and then give them the little car to remember it by..

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recal looking at a guy with a stingray Corvette in my neighberhood when I was a kid. The only thing was the guy made me think to myself.When I get old I don't wanna be a dck like that guy in the Vette. A real rude loser. Wish he can see me now.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a kid there was a highschool hottie down the street who drove a 1970 SS 454 Chevelle (not very old at the time). I'll tell you I still have not resolved whether I wanted her or the car more.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a kid there was a highschool hottie down the street who drove a 1970 SS 454 Chevelle (not very old at the time). I'll tell you I still have not resolved whether I wanted her or the car more.
Both! Her in the car :shocked:

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds cool, my first time seeing a viper up close definatly inspired me. I was equally as awe-stuck but knew my time was limited since I was going to see family later that night, so I got right to taking pictures. Great story and RX thats a great think for you to do, as a kid I can tell you that someone who goes out of there way like that gets tons of respect.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep 1/64 scale B/W Vipers in my glove box for good/special kids like that. Sounds cheesy, but they love it when I let them sit in the drivers seat and then give them the little car to remember it by..

That's not cheesy, that is very very cool to make some kid's day like that.
You are a class act sir. :)

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is back with those incredible 547 R's all the way around, extensive brake work, and many details, but I still have some hood damage which is the most insane part about fixing a Viper, and I am still waiting to rectify this. ANYWAY, I could not resist taking the imperfect, black, shiny '94 out last Saturday. I ran into a package store in my hometown, as I pulled up, a boy, about 12, stopped dead in his tracks, he was walking into the plaza, and stared as I pulled in. I came back to the car 10 minutes later, and he was sitting on the curb, 5 feet from my car, fixated on the snake, literally he didn't even break his gaze until I was opening the door. As I opened my door, he started to walk away, then turned and said, 'is that your car, it is so sick.' We talked for a couple of minutes, bec. he wanted to know more about the car, and I told him some basics about the engine, etc. Coolest part was as I started to back out, he thanked me for taking to him, as if I was some type of celeb or something, he clearly was lonely. Then he said that looking at the Viper in person 'makes me want to work hard and get one someday.' I replied, 'don't let anyone or anything stop you from getting what you want in life, especially if people tell you you can't.' And he watched me pull out of the lot. Well, it made me flash back to being a kid and setting my sites on getting a Viper...

Shadow, I ran your name in the local sex offenders web site and you came up. I am dialing the police as we speak.. Stay away from the youth of America....

SnakeInTheGulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story! I keep 1/64 scale B/W Vipers in my glove box for good/special kids like that. Sounds cheesy, but they love it when I let them sit in the drivers seat and then give them the little car to remember it by..
Great story's!
What a great thing to do!!! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to steal your idea.

CreteViperMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a half gross of 1/36 scale vipers for the same reason. It sure does brighten a kids day when you let them sit in the car and then hand them a model Viper to remember it by. Worth EVERY penny.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude - that is a great idea. Love it!

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find them all over: Walgreen's mostly, but also Toys-R-Us, Target, and even found a couple 1/43 scale at Gordmans last week.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our VCA region was invited to display our cars at the opening game of our local arena football team (The Arkansas Twisters). After the game, as I was driving down the sidewalk out of the stadium I see the "heavy" kid chasing me down the sidewalk screaming: "Great car, Great car". So I stop and give him a ride to the end of the sidewalk.... I'm not sure if he was having a heart attack from the ride in an RT/10, or the chase, but either way when he got out he was pretty psyched for a fellow that had only rode a 100 feet in a Viper.

Stuff like this has gotta be one of the best things about owning a Viper. It is amazing how many people have still never seen a Viper "In Person".

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shadow, I ran your name in the local sex offenders web site and you came up. I am dialing the police as we speak.. Stay away from the youth of America....

Funny... it would be funnier if it weren't for the fact that a LOT of kids are disappearing and ending up dead. I hate to sound like a scrooge, but as much as I love kids, I won't offer stranger kids rides or let them get in unless their parents are with them and ok's it. That's just the kind of society we live in.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to go to Canada to finally be able to see one in person... well... the actual goal was to visit my aunt and uncle who were celebrating (I believe) 40 years of being married :p And my cousin Kristine seeing me sooo psyched about seeing one called the dealership and arranged a meeting with the owner, which eventually resulted in me getting a ride in the first Viper I ever saw :D
After that I got the heck of searching out stuff through the internet :D

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always loved cars. My brother and me would lust after crazy cars when we didn't have 2 dimes to rub together. I always got a rush from the guy how saw you staring and would talk to you for a few minutes. Hearing what it was like to own/drive a cool car was an experience you could not get from reading a car journalist's opinion in Road and Track. Very cool.

Oh yeah, RX VIPER, I'm stealing your idea too! Nice!

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The same thing happened to me when i was about 19 yrs old.I was at the dodge dealership looking to buy a work van.And a gentleman was purchasing a new viper and the sales people where giving him the do and don'ts with the car.And he finally told them he wanted to drive the car.To leave him alone.As he walked by me, i told him congrats he stopped and said don't let anyone or anything stop you from getting what you want in life, especially if people tell you you can't.(as above)And 11yrs later i bought one.And the neat thing is i met the guy again after buying my viper and asked him if he remembered that day.And he did. :2tu:

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recal looking at a guy with a stingray Corvette in my neighberhood when I was a kid. The only thing was the guy made me think to myself.When I get old I don't wanna be a dck like that guy in the Vette. A real rude loser. Wish he can see me now.

Tony
he is over at the alley :D

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great topic..how can you make a kids day better than to let him sit in your sportscar (read: Viper). I always (well most of the time) also take the time to give them a ride, but I know that might be a little different in the Good ol'e USA, since you can get in big trouble doing so. I love USA and the freedom you guys have (even tho you are getting stripped of it as the years go by), but I know that certain things like taking a kid for a drive can be taken in the wrong way. In Norway the parents and onlookers would be tickled to death if I took their kid for a ride, and you better believe that kid would be greatful and talking about this for a month's after that, and treasure it for years to come. Without a doubt the Viper is the most popular car between kids, teenagers and adults here, also than'x to games like Grand Tourismo and others. One time when I was driving on a trip up to northern part of Norway, I stopped at a gasstation, and there was a kid at the station that started following me around. I knew what it was all about but was waiting for him to make any contact with me. Could tell on his face that he was just afraid that I was going to leave, and I could see he was trying to get him self together to dare speak with me. I took a long time paying for gas and really gave the kid a chance to get his courage up, and after about 20 min I started to walk back towards the car..then I heard some steps behind me and somebody whispering something. I turned around and here was the kid behind me, looking another direction as he mumbled "n n n nice car". Of cource I could not hold it any longer and started to laugh and I asked the kid if he wanted to go for a ride..well this kid suddenly had no speaking problems, and he asked me if I could wait at the station for a few minutes, he had to run home first. I did and the kid came back with about $10 in his hands. I was wondering what he was going to do with the money, but that clue came very quickly as the kid ran into the gasstation and bought himself a onetimecamera, and strated to shoot pictures of the car. "ok I am ready" he said after shooting some pictures and I helped him get into the 5point racingharness, and off we went, and let me tell you that there were no pic's left in that camera after a 15 min long ride, and could this kid ever talk again. The story ends with that I heard back from a friend of mine up north, that there was a kid in a certain place that was unstoppable in his bragging about having "raced" in a Viper, and had gotten a new wallpaper in his room..full of Viperpictures. Give the kids a ride if possible to do so, you might change a life forever, and it makes your day aslo..I promise :2tu: