Coolant flush

Brandon Anderson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been searching everywhere for a proper procedure on a gen 3 and cannot find one. I just replaced my oil cooler lines. I removed the coolant lines on the oil cooler for more room. Lost a lot of coolant so it’s time for a flush. I plan on removing lower radiator hose and letting it drain then refilling. How do I bleed the air out of the system? I think the bleeder is on the Tstat. Do I fill it with that open then close it and run it? Or run it with that valve open?

Thanks!
Brandon

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Open the bleeder on the thermostat housing while filling the system and wait until you get some coolant coming out of it. After that close it and run the engine until it gets up to temp and the thermostat cycles and then check and top off the coolant reservoir as needed. That should pretty much get you there. Maybe keep an eye on it the first few times you drive it as it could still work out some more air, but that should get most of it.

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to actually flush the system I have had very good results with Cummins Fleetguard brand System Restore (to remove silicates or oil) or System Restore Plus (to remove corrosion and mineral deposits) .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saramartin90