Coolant type

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Main thing to remember is if you have the green stuff already in the car, it's easy to refill it with the green stuff. If you switch to the orange stuff (better in my opinion), you need to flush out the system REALLY well. When I switch cars over to the Dexcool type of coolant (orange), I typically drain it completely, fill with tap water, let it heat up completely and circulate, drain again, then fill with distilled water, heat it up again, drain, and then fill with a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water. If you do that, your system will be good for at least five years before the next flush.

OP
OP
J

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what brands are the green stuff. If its the orange dexcool, it says it on the bottle. if it doesnt say dexcool then its the green stuff?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this isnt rocket science, use green antifreeze if yours has green in it now, red if red in it now.

OP
OP
J

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lol: i know it isnt "rocket science". Maybe im being to general in my questioning. let me try to say the same thing, but differently.... what brand of coolant are you using? Prestone, Peak, ****** in the radiator, what?! :lol:

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just go to the dealer and grab a jug its not like ur buying a lot of it, or at least ya shouldnt be or something is wrong lol!!

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a low silicate type coolant like dexcool, but you need to keep the radiator and surge tank overfilled. GM had a huge problem with "beach head" or radiator snot, and this was caused by people not keeping the coolant jugs full and or small pinhole leaks. I wrote an article on the subject a few years back. The dexcool was introduced in 1995 on all GM vehicles except saturn (for whatever reason) and it was done because the low silicate coolants reduced the electrolysis in the cooling system. I've seen lots of engines with pits in the cooling system due to using the old green coolant in a bi-metal engine. The really good chemistry these days is from Honda although it pains me to say that. Safe to say that the current mopar coolant that is used in all the new vehicles is near the pinnacle of coolant chemical technology, so just use that. my 2 cents. ASE L1 CDMAT

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
this isnt rocket science, use green antifreeze if yours has green in it now, red if red in it now.

Actually, I think most people would be surprised at the amount of research and development "Science" goes in to coolant and or any other automotive chemical.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend a low silicate type coolant like dexcool, but you need to keep the radiator and surge tank overfilled. GM had a huge problem with "beach head" or radiator snot, and this was caused by people not keeping the coolant jugs full and or small pinhole leaks. I wrote an article on the subject a few years back. The dexcool was introduced in 1995 on all GM vehicles except saturn (for whatever reason) and it was done because the low silicate coolants reduced the electrolysis in the cooling system. I've seen lots of engines with pits in the cooling system due to using the old green coolant in a bi-metal engine. The really good chemistry these days is from Honda although it pains me to say that. Safe to say that the current mopar coolant that is used in all the new vehicles is near the pinnacle of coolant chemical technology, so just use that. my 2 cents. ASE L1 CDMAT
wow....you are acually the only guy i know that has this right..and yes you are right..as you allready knew..