Cooling Problem Solved

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year my car would always be super hot all of the time. While driving at 85 degrees outside I would have to turn on the heater just to try and drive normal, not even speeding. I couldn't run the AC and it was always hot as hell inside the car. My wife wouldn't even ride in it because it was so hot all the time.

After much work and a total rework of several different things the problems are all solved.

I cruised back home today 8 hours in 94 degree heat. These are the specs of what I got.

2:30pm 94 degrees outside temp - 185 car temp with the AC on blowing cold while driving
3:00 still 94 degrees outside - got into 2 hours of stop and stop some more traffic 2 hours to go 7 miles. 210 car temp with the AC on blowing cold. Turned of the AC and the temp went down to 185 degrees.
5:30 about 86 degrees outside - 180 degrees with and without AC. I was doing some "performance testing" on the freeway, the highest it would get while testing was about 200 degrees with 14 pounds of boost.
8:00 about 75 degrees outside - 170-175 degrees with or without AC, didn't matter.

Needless to say, I am 100% happy and know I don't have to worry about my super expensive motor. A small price to pay to keep it cool.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last year my car would always be super hot all of the time. While driving at 85 degrees outside I would have to turn on the heater just to try and drive normal, not even speeding. I couldn't run the AC and it was always hot as hell inside the car. My wife wouldn't even ride in it because it was so hot all the time.

After much work and a total rework of several different things the problems are all solved.

I cruised back home today 8 hours in 94 degree heat. These are the specs of what I got.

2:30pm 94 degrees outside temp - 185 car temp with the AC on blowing cold while driving
3:00 still 94 degrees outside - got into 2 hours of stop and stop some more traffic 2 hours to go 7 miles. 210 car temp with the AC on blowing cold. Turned of the AC and the temp went down to 185 degrees.
5:30 about 86 degrees outside - 180 degrees with and without AC. I was doing some "performance testing" on the freeway, the highest it would get while testing was about 200 degrees with 14 pounds of boost.
8:00 about 75 degrees outside - 170-175 degrees with or without AC, didn't matter.

Needless to say, I am 100% happy and know I don't have to worry about my super expensive motor. A small price to pay to keep it cool.

So was there something more you needed to say here ? :dunno: :eater:
I had sort of the same issue with mine until I installed a full 3" CAT DELETE, Ceramic Headers, Borla Exhaust and an SCT Tuner the makes the fan come on 12 degrees sooner. Way comfy now ;)

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I just found a way to increase horsepower by 20% without spending a dime. Takes about 2 hours of work and can be done by anyone that can turn a screw.

On my car my HP was 420 at the rear wheels last week and now is now 504. This is incredible and so easy to do. I am SO happy with the outcome.

Ron

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ron. I'll be doing that mod tonight.

I also recommend getting the tires I bought this past weekend. No more wheel hop and they are so sticky they cut 2 sec off my et at the track. They are great tires. Be sure and get the ones I bought though.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I just found a way to increase horsepower by 20% without spending a dime. Takes about 2 hours of work and can be done by anyone that can turn a screw.

Ron

you had me until the "by anyone that can turn a screw" part :mad:

hate those hard to install mods :rolleyes:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ron. I'll be doing that mod tonight.

I also recommend getting the tires I bought this past weekend. No more wheel hop and they are so sticky they cut 2 sec off my et at the track. They are great tires. Be sure and get the ones I bought though.

Great tip, Dave but I already bought a set of those tires. just like the ones you bought and it really helped my times at the track. Can't believe the price was so cheap. I also bought them at the same place and that 40% off price is still good through the end of June. They still have quite a few left and might extend the sale price through July.

Ron

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess what , I was given the winning lottery numbers for next week. If we all pick these numbers there is enough money in the jackpot that we will all be rich...

I also learned what Einstein's "theory of relativity" is about....

Oh yeah, I found out "the meaning of life" too...

;):rolaugh:;):)

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geeze....

So this turned out to be a simple $2,700 modification (plus labor and shipping) for, what, a 20 degree decline in operating temperature? Not to be disparaging, but there's proven alternatives that come in for less than $150/degree.

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dynoed my car and it was about 50hp lower then what other stock cars are turning. So insted of finding/fixing the problem i simply threw on a supercharger to get back the 50hp i was missing.

:dunno:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1 will never reduce coolant temperatures at all, ever, no how no way, if you are operating above the thermostat temperature already.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crackin' me up guys.

Thanks! I am no longer in need of tires or HP. (Never had a temp. problem)

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, the mechanic leans back and admires his work. He's installed a used heater core "elsewhere" on his customer's car. He's telling him it's a "radiator" so he can charge more. He has sold and installed the most expensive 4-core aluminum radiator he can find. He scratches his stubbled beard and draws the other guys over. He brags to the mechanics about his inventiveness. He claims the operating temperatures will be far cooler with a special package price he is offering. He's going to make a mint on this deal. The younger mechanics all look up to him, and believe his new found cash-cow will lead him to early retirement. They ask, "please tell us, what's the secret to the sustained cooling?" The mechanic leans back. The kids lean in, eager to hear his words of wisdom. He whispers, "the secret my friends, is...BUUUURP!" And he laughs all the way to the bank.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, the mechanic leans back and admires his work. He's installed a used heater core "elsewhere" on his customer's car. He's telling him it's a "radiator" so he can charge more. He has sold and installed the most expensive 4-core aluminum radiator he can find. He scratches his stubbled beard and draws the other guys over. He brags to the mechanics about his inventiveness. He claims the operating temperatures will be far cooler with a special package price he is offering. He's going to make a mint on this deal. The younger mechanics all look up to him, and believe his new found cash-cow will lead him to early retirement. They ask, "please tell us, what's the secret to the sustained cooling?" The mechanic leans back. The kids lean in, eager to hear his words of wisdom. He whispers, "the secret my friends, is...BUUUURP!" And he laughs all the way to the bank.

Funny! Maybe a good rhetorical would be to see some pics of the install? :dunno:

You know. Kinda bad camera angles, not really in focus... :rolleyes:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you ever think that the fan relay is bad. That sounds like the kind of problem you would run into with no air flow from a radiator fan not running. Oh well, forget the fan kit thingy that you can get from RoeRacing... just add another radiator and $2700 later she's good to go. :rolleyes:

:usa:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1 will never reduce coolant temperatures at all, ever, no how no way, if you are operating above the thermostat temperature already.

That is BS Tom. I installed a 68 degree thermostat just the other day. I can now drive around in 90 degree heat without even using the AC! How cool is that!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is BS Tom. I installed a 68 degree thermostat just the other day. I can now drive around in 90 degree heat without even using the AC! How cool is that!

Now THAT is ding-dang FUNNY !!!

Im gonna start carrying those.... $199.00 NEVER HAVE TO SERVCE YOUR A/C AGAIN!
Remove it and save 40 lbs !!!

OP
OP
B

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe if you guys had more then 1500HP you might actually be right. Get above 1500 and tell me something. Needless to say at only 27 pounds I was spinning the tires off the dyno at WELL over 1500. So maybe you are right I don't know what I am talking about.

OP
OP
B

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you hook it up on 14 lbs. on your way home?
what tires?

No I didn't really get on it, jacked it up to 150 a couple of times just screwing around. I am still running the BFG Drag Radials, but I am going to get the MT Drag Radials soon.

I haven't had it to the track yet. I am currently in Dallas, then off to DC, New Orleans, Alabama, and then Tampa for the next 3 weeks. After that I should get some track time.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe if you guys had more then 1500HP you might actually be right. Get above 1500 and tell me something. Needless to say at only 27 pounds I was spinning the tires off the dyno at WELL over 1500. So maybe you are right I don't know what I am talking about.

So... Any pics of the new cooling set up??? :dunno:

The world wants to know what a $2700 cooling mod looks like. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21