Corsa install - wow, loud!

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I just got my 03 back from having the Paxton installed (more on this later) and I had the Corsa 2.5" installed and one of the cats removed. Holy cow, this thing is loud. I had no idea it was going to be as loud as it sounds now.

I did think the original exhaust was too quiet, but having the crossover removed and the cat removed for heat was my primary concern (and that has made a huge difference).

So now I guess I'm on a search to replace the Corsa I just put on. Is the 4th gen exhaust my best bet? I'm assuming it is going to be louder then the 3rd gen because of the cat removal.

Shawn (anyone want a corsa?)

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just got my 03 back from having the Paxton installed (more on this later) and I had the Corsa 2.5" installed and one of the cats removed. Holy cow, this thing is loud. I had no idea it was going to be as loud as it sounds now.

I did think the original exhaust was too quiet, but having the crossover removed and the cat removed for heat was my primary concern (and that has made a huge difference).

So now I guess I'm on a search to replace the Corsa I just put on. Is the 4th gen exhaust my best bet? I'm assuming it is going to be louder then the 3rd gen because of the cat removal.

Shawn (anyone want a corsa?)

The downside to side exhaust.

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an 09 exhaust put on my 05. No other mods done. Is definitely louder than with stock crossovers, tho not unpleasant. Sound quality improved in my opinion.

I'll trade you straight up!
:D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Paxton with Corsa cat back. I left the stock cats intact. I am running 760 HP at the flywheel and I track the car on a road course. I suggest you put the cats you removed back on. You will then have the sound level you desire. If you want to track the car on a road course, I recommend that you get a DC blower tune if you have not already done so. By the way, it is illegal to remove the cats unless the car is only for offroad use.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely removing one of the cats is the issue. The corsa by itself is not loud until you are at full throttle.

OP
OP
S

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So it is likely the removal of one set of the cats that has made it so loud? I hate to have the cats put back in cause of the heat...but if that is the fix then I guess maybe that is what I should do.

I hate to have the cats put back in and find out it really is just the Corse...

Shawn

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It was 'somehow' the cat-delete of 50% of your cats. Was it just tube-splice, cut out 2 OE cats and fab-in pipe? Which 2? Or replace 4 OE with 2 HiFlow? If so, 2 SHF Metal Subs?

Let talk Monday .......PM !

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it is likely the removal of one set of the cats that has made it so loud? I hate to have the cats put back in cause of the heat...but if that is the fix then I guess maybe that is what I should do.

Shawn
Put the cats back, and it will be good. Like others said, the corsa is not loud unless under WOT close above 4k RPM - Redline.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Puting the cats back will not increase your side sill heat that much. Elimination of the crossover solves most, if not all, of the cabin heat problem. When I had my Gen II GTS with an 8 lb Roe supercharger setup, I had high flow cats. The noise was deafening. A supercharger pushes a larger volume of air into the engine and what goes in must come out. When it does, with two cats eliminated, it is ridiculously loud. With all the cats eliminated it is insanely loud. So loud that even Helen Keller could hear it.

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about high flow cats? I bought a corsa and have not installed it yet, but I am planning on putting on high flow cats (i think random tech) as I do not want to go catless. Doesnt this take care of the heat issue and have a nice medium for the sound issue as well?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about high flow cats? I bought a corsa and have not installed it yet, but I am planning on putting on high flow cats (i think random tech) as I do not want to go catless. Doesnt this take care of the heat issue and have a nice medium for the sound issue as well?

What generation Viper do you have and is it supercharged? If so, what kind of supercharger?

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 09 exhaust on mine. No heat concerns w/out the crossover. I may be selling the 09 once my Borla arrives, hopefully later this week. PM me if interested.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 with Paxton, Random Tech high flow cats (2 1/2 inch), and a Corsa exhaust. The exhaust and high flow cats came from JonB. It is definitely louder than stock but not unbearable. The high flow cats and exhaust eliminated the heat side sill heat issues. The noise still startles me when I start it up but then its fine after that.

Now for a public service announcement.

The engine WILL LEAN OUT with your changes to the exhaust. You must get the car tuned again given the Paxton or face the consequences, and they are expensive! Keep the A/F in mid 11s on the dyno as it leans out further in real world driving. Before the exhaust changes but with the Paxton I was in the low to mid 11s. After the exhaust changes it went to low 12s (12.2 at worst). This was bad enough to detonate the motor, like a grenade. After many thousands of $ I now have a new motor with forged internals.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shawn

I had an 04 with Paxton, stock cats and the 2.5 in Corsa, IT was loud but nowhere
near as loud as a RT cat 3 in Corsa I had before that. NO side sill heat issues and it
sure did sound sweet above 4k rpm but there was quite a bit of drone at cruise.
The stock cats and 2.5 Corsa is what Woodhouse uses with their Paxton setups.
Mark chime in here if I am wrong.

I miss that car mainly because it had Motons, but I still like my 09 coupe. The local
Viper tech here in SLC has offered me a custom exhaust where he will use a stock
cat that I have and mount it in the side sill followed by something like a Magnaflow,
he says it will make a deeper V8 like sound and have no heat issues.

Again, Corsa is a loud exhaust with drone at cruise. You might also try Vortex cones
or a CCI 3 disk insert, helped with that 3in Corsa I had.

Herc