Corsa vs Mopar Racing Exhaust Test

jessewallace

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm yanking the corsa exhaust off of my 05 & slapping the mopar racing kit on. i will also be installing the mopar racing controller.
the only other mod i have is the K&N setup.

i got a good deal on the mopar combo & i really wanna see what it sounds like & how it performs. i hope it to be rather LOUD.

i will NOT have access to a dyno, but i will record the audio of the corsa right b4 i take it off & the audio of the mopar race after i put it on.

i will record both @ startup & different rpm levels.

so that will answer the big question of what's the difference in sound btwn the pricey corsa & the 'cheap as all get out' mopar.

no dyno so i can't do hp comparisons, but i will benchmark the rpms @ 4th gear @ 60, 80 & 100 mph.

i will, of course do these under the same vehicle operating conditions.
meaning, i will make sure the outside temp is relatively the same, & allow the vehicle to warm up to the same operating temp during each run. & if it doesn't appear that the car has properly adjusted to the new mopar, i'll do the mopar test AGAIN in a few days.

this may not be a big deal to some people, but i would have loved someone to post this info under these conditions when i was choosing an exhaust.

hope it helps those who are indecisive about the 2.

ps. if i like the mopar more, i'll have a corsa exhaust for sell soon w/only 5000 miles on it!
;)

i'm so excited & can't wait to post the results! :2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting swap. What was your reasoning for the Swap - louder exhaust? What is the power increase with the engine controller?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the corsa is a very hot running exhaust. my firnds at zero altidude showed me a side sill that was melted by the corsa. Everyone runs corsa because the other person does. Kind of like monkey see monkey do. Ask Woodhouse if you doubt me

OP
OP
J

jessewallace

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nader:
i just don't like the corsa exhaust like i hoped i would. i've owned several vehicles w/corsa products & this is the 1st i've been disappointed with. it's not bad, it's just not want i want.

almost went w/adding a RT cat, but opted otherwise.

plus, i'm strongly considering picking up a 06 coupe in addition to my current 05. so worst case scenario, i'll already have my new exhaust for the coupe.

it's either a new coupe, or a new z06. <-- i'm gonna get railed for that one!

keeping the 05 regardless though.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the deep sound of the Borla over the raspy sound of Corsa. But that's just me. Alot of Vipers are running around with Corsa on.

Look forward to hearing the difference back to back on the same car!

Great idea! :2tu:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the corsa is a very hot running exhaust. my firnds at zero altidude showed me a side sill that was melted by the corsa. Everyone runs corsa because the other person does. Kind of like monkey see monkey do. Ask Woodhouse if you doubt me --Atro Racing

Robbie, surely most of us that run the Corsa Track do so for the following reasons:
> 15 horsepower increase vs. stock
> 20 lb-ft. torque gain
> 61% exhaust flow increase
> 10 pound weight reduction, resulting in higher power:weight
> Custom designed, handcrafted exhaust tips
> Deeper, more aggressive exhaust note
> Elimination of factory crossover which greatly reduces incabin heat & side sill temps

No "monkey see monkey do", Corsa builds a quality exhaust for the Viper SRT-10.

nopokerface

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, RPM will not change with a horsepower increase for a given mph. It's strictly gear ratios and tire size that influence what rpm equals a certain vehicle speed. Don't waste your time doing the 60, 80, 100 thing.

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am leaning towards the Corsa for the reasons SnakeEye posted. As I understand it there is no horsepower increase with the Mopar system.

Anyhow, I appreciate your taking the time and spending the dough to conduct this sound test. I am anxious to hear both systems.

And if you get the new Corvette Z06 you'll be able to provide us with another comparison (real world vs. all the magazine hype).

:2tu:

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too anxiously waiting for the both sound clip and feedback. Corsa track or Mopar??? Coming from C6 to Viper is like a day and night difference. of course in a good way

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Corsa w/ factory cats still on.
I like the sound and I have "no" heat issues at all.
No monkey see, monkey do.....I compared the sound on other Vipers
and I liked the slightly higher pitch, but punch it and it's really loud.

Mike

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the Mopar race exhaust for my SRTC after a baseline dyno this spring. There are no cats in this system which would make passing the smog test impossible. I noticed that Sean Roe offers this system with O2 simulators on his website. Will this allow it to pass emissions? Has anyone installed this system?

Bob K

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I have the Mopar Race Exhaust and the Computer Controller. It is LOUD, sets off car alarms, and shoots flames on occasion!!! It even rattles dishes in the cabinets in my house when I start it in the garage, and wakes up the neighbor if I have to leave early in the morning. He's cool about it though:)

The three different Viper enthusiasts who have driven it say their "butt dyno" indicates more power than a stock SRT 10. I would imagine similar if not more increase over a system with cats. Never dynoed before, so no proof, but it "feels" more powerful with the exhaust on.

As for the Corsa, I like the finish appearance of the tips MUCH better than the Mopar. The mopar looks a little cheap at the tips, but other than that, I am thrilled with the sound and performance. Cost was not an issue, but dealer install was, so I went with the Mopar.

It would have been nice to hear them both side-by-side beforehand though. A great service you are providing to other members by doing this Jesse, thanks!

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noredline, you could always purchase some tips from Skip White. His tips are very nice and look exactly like the Corsa's.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the Mopar race exhaust for my SRTC after a baseline dyno this spring. There are no cats in this system which would make passing the smog test impossible. I noticed that Sean Roe offers this system with O2 simulators on his website. Will this allow it to pass emissions? Has anyone installed this system?

Bob K

Bob, I have the Mopar Race exhaust and the sims will not allow the car to pass a tailpipe sniffer. They simply fool the computer into thinking that the cats are still there. So if all the do in your jurisdiction is hook into your OBD-II port, you MAY be OK. I'm no expert on emmissions testing though and so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noredline, you could always purchase some tips from Skip White. His tips are very nice and look exactly like the Corsa's.

Thanks, I didnt know you could put different tips on them. I will check it out!

D

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Noredline- Right there with you on the tips. Actually, the biggest ***** is installing the Mopar Racing tips since they use a 45 degree bend instead of a 90, so they are very tough to correctly locate.

Also if you want to lower the db of the system and decrease the droan, get some of those CCI 3" cone inserts and weld them in just in front of the muffler. Makes the car much more liveable. My ears rang without them.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the Mopar cat back, and I gutted the secondary cats. Much "healthier" sound and no droning as some have experienced.

I received the "race" PCM for XMAS and I will be installing this during the winter. I will be running catless when I put the new controller in. I will report on sound and "butt dyno" power when the snow goes away.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went with the Mopar cat back, and I gutted the secondary cats. Much "healthier" sound and no droning as some have experienced.

I received the "race" PCM for XMAS and I will be installing this during the winter. I will be running catless when I put the new controller in. I will report on sound and "butt dyno" power when the snow goes away.

Steve, if you have cats at all, you have the 2.5" Mopar Street exhaust. We are talking about the 3" Mopar Race exhaust which has no cats at all.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats right I do. I am purposely getting rid of the cats with the Mopar street exhaust. I want to see what kind of results I get with a 2 1/2" no cat exhaust and the race PCM. Its easy to throw a set of cats back on if necessary. Plus it was alot cheaper to buy the mopar street over the race system.

There were some nice people on the forum that sold me their old stock cats really cheap which I modified to go catless.

I personally don't think there will be that much difference between the two exhaust sytems 2 1/2 catless or a 3" catless when you have stock headers and a stock motor given the length of the system. (side pipes w/o the crossover)

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats right I do. I am purposely getting rid of the cats with the Mopar street exhaust. I want to see what kind of results I get with a 2 1/2" no cat exhaust and the race PCM. Its easy to throw a set of cats back on if necessary. Plus it was alot cheaper to buy the mopar street over the race system.

There were some nice people on the forum that sold me their old stock cats really cheap which I modified to go catless.

I personally don't think there will be that much difference between the two exhaust sytems 2 1/2 catless or a 3" catless when you have stock headers and a stock motor given the length of the system. (side pipes w/o the crossover)

I agree. I think there is not much difference on a stock motor with stock manifolds between a 2.5" and 3" exhaust of the same design. The 3" just gives room for improvement down the road with headers and power adders.

corseviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i will record both @ startup & different rpm levels.

so that will answer the big question of what's the difference in sound btwn the pricey corsa & the 'cheap as all get out' mopar

What ever happened to this?
Was a recording of the sound ever posted? :smirk:

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the Mopar race exhaust was designed/built by Borla. Borla used my 03 SRT to build the first prototype, the Mopar engineering team was at the Borla plant - my car and Dan Cragin's comp coupe were used to design the exhaust systems.

I liked the exhaust but the tip was not as clean as Corsa nor was the sound at temperature. The mopar exhaust lost it's luster when the car heated up, sounded sloppy to me. But that is my opinion - would suggest listening to one in person and at temperature as this does change the exhaust note. I have the Corsa system on my car now, not perfect but feel it produce a cleaner sound.