Could dirty throttle bodies make car hard to start

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a 95 and is hard to start, once it is started it runs fine. I did a search and found the thread from September that seems to point to the check valve or the regulator.
I dropped it off at the dealer and they are trying to tell me it is because of dirty throttle bodies, ($225 to clean).
Does this sound right?

Thanks,
Ed

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS was getting hard to start but ran well otherwise. Took it to the dealer and they changed the fuel pump under warranty. Starts instantly now. I have heard that intake gaskets are prone to develop vacuum leaks which could cause hard starting. I believe Dodge came out with an improved intake gasket that fixed the problem.
Just my .02 cents.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ed,
$225 to clean the Throttle Bodies? Highway robbery!! If your Throttle Bodies are dirty and I say IF- it should only take half an hour=$45! I don't think that is your problem? It may be in the fuel system i-e bad check valve or regulator? More diagnostic is needed to find the problem or a new Dealer!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Did your tech actually check your fuel pump?? You can try cycling the key to on-off-on-etc. for 3-4 times, and see if it fires up more normally. If it does,(versus an 8-10 second crank time), may be leak-down of fuel pump...common for that year. Let us know.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
$225 to clean the Throttle Bodies? Highway robbery!! If your Throttle Bodies are dirty and I say IF- it should only take half an hour=$45! I don't think that is your problem? It may be in the fuel system i-e bad check valve or regulator? More diagnostic is needed to find the problem or a new Dealer! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 101% w/ the Spudman.

You have a fuel pump pressure leakdown regulator bad....and IF you have an extended warranty, Chuck can fix it for the deductible. Til then, just cycle the key on/of/on/off 3-4 times and THEN start it, priming the pressure!