'Cuda is now a registered trademark

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Notice that Chrysler just announced an all-aluminum late model 426 Hemi crate engince last week! 500+ horsepower. Could the Cuda be a model to take on the Shelby 500?

'Cuda 426 Hemi 540hp targets Shelby 500 Mustang
Challenger 392 takes on the Camaro SS

Please make a convertible version!

JET

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second car in high school was an AAR Cuda, sold it for 1600.00 (in 1977) because the bank wanted a years worth of insurance paid up front before they would complete the loan on my 75 Vette. Sold my 70 Barracuda Conv. Gran Sport about a year later for 2500.00 when I decided to buy a new 78 Vette. Every once in a while I have someone kick me in the ass just for those mistakes.:bonker: maybe that was a Grand Coupe?

Last edited:

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is My Version of the "CUDA" Chrysler should have built!!!!!:D:D

Attachments

• DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00059.jpg
    DSC00059.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 7

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it be?

IMG00028.jpg

IMG00025.jpg

IMG00026.jpg

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There was another Post on autoblog:

Chrysler registers Cuda nameplate, Hemi engine perks up in interest — Autoblog

You must be registered for see images attach

I have a soft spot for Sox & Martin, so much that I built a copy of a Super Stock Sox & Martin car, but with a slightly bigger 572 c.i. Hemi. I even went as far as using Ford paint codes, prior to Plymouth they raced Fords, but only had Ford paint leftover in the shop back then.

You must be registered for see images

I then brought it to a tribute even in York, PA in 2005, and met Ronnie Sox and his wife, and he signed the dash pad. About a year later or so he unfortunately died of cancer. He autographed a painting for a friend. Here are some of my pictures from that event. RIP Ronnie Sox, he was a great guy, loved being around the fans, he was doing chemo but he still wanted to go to the event (with bandades on his arm) and I was honoured to have met him.

Here's a cool old article on a 70 Cuda Sox & Martin build:

Ronnie was known to be the master of shifting a 4 speed, I collected some old footage, VHS tapes etc.. here's a little video snippit from one:

http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/Ronnie_Sox_in_car.wmv

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The purple ragtop 'cuda (made out of a Chally), and the Sox & Martin replicas were third party conversions. The purple 'cuda was photographed at Carlisle...I think...in 2008. I seem to remember it being there the year my Plymouth was in the SME.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If memory serves, they were originally aluminum and the lugs did not stay tight causing the bolt holes and centers to crack.

That being said, I really like the 67-69 Barracudas far and away better than the later Challenger - 'cudas.

I thought they were the early days if magnesium hence the cracking when torqued.

Lee - No, that Cuda was done aftermarket. :(

Mike - Very nice! I forgot that you had that car! Was it a clone or a real BO29?

Nice picture history too! Lucky bugger you are to have met Ron!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moparboy...you could be right but my memory (not what it once was) tells me that the lug nuts on these wheels did not stay tight. Once loose, the wheels cracked.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000Black: MCCANDLESS REUNITES WITH “BEST EVER” CAR

My dad is Herb McCandless, raced for sox and martin for a few years. Ronnie lived here locally. My 65 barracuda was a car he had for years as a drive around. Lots of *** history around here. Cool to see you so into it.

Small world. That's a great story, thanks for sharing. Gotta love the ol' school drag racers, lots of great ideas. Anyone who's a fan of those days knows who your dad is! One of my first project cars was a 64 Barracuda 25 years ago, but it'd be cool owning what Ronnie owned. If you have some rare old pics of your dad and cars, that'd be great to see.

I have a Hemi related story to share, apology in advance to the OP if this is too much in your thread.

In the late 90's I was working at the R&D Chrysler Centre in Windsor, Ontario (across the border from Detroit), small facility, they did all sorts of projects there, from NASCAR stuff to experimental manufacturing and vehicle dynamics, probably 100 or so people worked there. At the time, my hobby was restoring an all original 70 Hemi Road Runner.

There was this old fellow that delivered stuff back and forth across the border from Auburn Hills to Windsor working part time in his retirement years. They had a cubicle setup for him in our facility, he would come in once or twice a week, and nod off reading books to kill time waiting for the next delivery. "Old Fred" they would call him, a thin old quiet man in his late 70's.

One day I was flipping thru a Hemi picture book, and the magazine wrote about the original Hemi lead designer who worked on the drafting board who worked for Bill Weertman and Mel Capentier, and his name was Fred Shimpton. I knew that name!

I talked to Fred, and sure enough it was him. At the time I was a Hemi nut, and couldn't believe it. I talked to the guys in our office, and was like "do you know who Fred is?". Most weren't muscle car nuts in the office, and didn't realize why I was a bit excited. The was only one other fellow that knew why I was excited, John P., and he supplied 426 c.i. Hemi drawing blueprints, etc.. to Ray Barton, who was his friend going back to when he and Ray lived in Canada out in the East coast way back then.

Fred was originally assigned the job to start designing the first Hemi engine for Chrysler back then. I still remember the conversations. I wasked Fred "so how did you start designing it?", Fred said "Mel came up to me and told me to draw up a Hemi combustion chamber cylinder head". Fred didn't know what to do, he told me "shiiit, I don't know what a Hemi was, so I went down to the local public library in Detroit and started reading about them, and found a hemispherical combustion head engine designed in France around the 1900's and started from there".

I asked Fred to autograph some books, he gave me a copy of a presentation of the history of the V8 at Chrysler that Bill gave him, I scanned them many years ago for Moparts:

Moparts.com - 45 Years of V8 Power

An unusual piece of trivia, when I was working at Chrysler back then, one day the president showed up and there was a ceremony for the longest working term employee at Chrysler in history and it was for Fred Shimpton. Fred said that he **** in before the 18 year old age limit, started working for Chrysler when he was 17 years old.

Best regards, you have a cool dad, enjoy your holidays! Hope to meet one day. :2tu:
Mike

Last edited:

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see Buddy Martin about 2-3 times a month, he owns a smaller car dealership not even a mile from the dealership I work at so he's always passing through, getting parts etc. I actually have a ticket to one of his lot vehicles on my desk as we speak.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty cool Ricketts. If you're comfortable enough to let Buddy know that there were some grumblings and rumors why Buddy didn't show up to Ronnie Sox's tribute in York, PA amongst some fans, there's some folks like myself that are curious why, or perhaps any stories, but if not, no worries.. Wish I had the time and money to fly around just to chat with these guys, it was a great generation of drag racers.

Here's some old footage of Buddy Martin.

http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/Buddy_Martin_interview.wmv

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty cool Ricketts. If you're comfortable enough to let Buddy know that there were some grumblings and rumors why Buddy didn't show up to Ronnie Sox's tribute in York, PA amongst some fans, there's some folks like myself that are curious why, or perhaps any stories, but if not, no worries.. Wish I had the time and money to fly around just to chat with these guys, it was a great generation of drag racers.

Here's some old footage of Buddy Martin.

http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/Buddy_Martin_interview.wmv

Yeah, If I remember next time I see him I'll surely ask him.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buddy is a lot like my father, very busy. There are a lot of tributes done and you just can't make them all. York, if i recall is a pita to get to. Buddy attends as time allows. Him and dad often try to travel together as dad drives everywhere, he hates flying. There is no issue between buddy and the sox tributes. Anyone claiming there is drama or issues is simply talking out of their ass. :)

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, that's what I suspected, but isn't it funny how it's sometimes those who want to be the most knowledgable about stuff are sometimes the ones starting the rumors or speculation, it's sorta what happened at York, had me a bit puzzled..
Thanks

..back to the OP, this is probably one of my favorite Hemi Cudas (other than the 68 Barracuda) that I'd like to own one day, love the dog dish look

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Norms is making a modern Cuda in convertable and coupe form.

I had the chance to drive one earlier in the year, and it was really well done.

After the show circut they sell the models off to the general public.

Chrysler had these on their corporate display at last years San Diego Autoshow.

Mr. Norm's Garage | Vehicles

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a MR Norms car here in Omaha and the quality is not there like one would expect.

bring back the Hemi Dart

Bruce

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
..back to the OP, this is probably one of my favorite Hemi Cudas (other than the 68 Barracuda) that I'd like to own one day, love the dog dish look

The only other car I liked more than my Challenger in 1972 was the Cuda. Had the same wheels as the Cuda in the pic above, however I've changed it to Keystone slotted ones later .Never was a fan of hubcaps for some reason :crazy2:.
My car two weeks after the purchase.Looking at the picture now , I see Chrysler's legendary quality control with the alignment of the quad tailpipes :lmao:

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if they make it (and they do as good a job with it as they did the challenger) I will buy one, has to be black to match the other two though.. (the 03 above just sold but I already have a 08 to replace it with, black too)

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang everyone has a black cuda around here.......mine:

You must be registered for see images attach

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, how big are those torque thrust 2s, I have a set of 17x8s and 17x9.5s but haven't bothered to put them on because I wasn't sure I'd like it. Any more pics?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of Cudas, as many of you know, I went out to VOI with two trailers. One with my Viper, one empty. This was the Cuda we picked up. This is the first Mopar my dad drove. His buddy ordered this back in 1965 as a 1966 model. Dad is now the second owner. He waited 40 some odd years for his buddy to sell it!

340, 833 4 speed, fiberglass front end.

DSC_2473.JPG

DSC_2475.JPG

DSC_2483.JPG

DSC_2486.JPG

Thanks to this car I am not VW boy! :lmao:

Robert