Cut muffler or resonator or both?????

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to the Viper, I have had a couple of vettes, so I am familar with GM. I have added smooth tubes, K&N's and cutout the rain baffle. I would like to know the deal with the exhaust, should i cut the resonantor and muffler, or just cut the muffler out. I have heard both losses and gain from either or. Please let me know what has worked for u guys, Thanks Tony

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the muffler at the rear and replace it with straight tubing. Pick up a little power....lose a little weight....gain a lot of nice sound. Do it yourself for $10.00 or pay Midas to do it for $100.00. Best improvement for the money you'll ever find.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Want a significant power gain, much better sound, less heat in the side sills? Do it right - headers to tail pipe tips. Lose the cats if possible. Avoid systems that precipitate a CE light.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen some cars loose power on the dyno cutting every thing but the cats and putting straight pipe. MY car dynoed 415HP
466 on torque in 100 degree temp and 84%hum. All i have are smooth tubes an K&N's. Is there anyone else thats has dynoed there car after either cutting the muffler or, cutting it all out

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blackgts99:
I have seen some cars loose power on the dyno cutting every thing but the cats and putting straight pipe.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, exhaust mods definitely can hurt (or help) depending on what's done. I have headers, half-cats, resonator, no muffler and 3" pipe back to the tips. I made 426 Hp, 473 ft.lb on a 90+ day, high humidity. A previous pull (better weather) got 449 Hp.

Another guy in our group (Wayne Byrom, I think) had some aftermarket cats on (other exhaust mods too, but I don't remember) and he made 386 Hp. He was pretty disappointed, and the viper tech/engine builder (Dave Weaver) who was there at the time said he thought the low numbers were due to the 3rd party cats and other mods that resulted in insufficient back-pressure. The rest of his motor was stock BTW.

So be careful, depending on year model/cam/etc these things don't necessarily respond well to hogging out the entire exhaust system. Find somebody who's got a similar car to yours and has had good results with their mods and do the same.

You might want to page Wayne and find out what the conclusion was on his exhaust issue ... it'd be interesting to know more about what caused that radical drop in power.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill 96 GTS:
Remove the muffler at the rear and replace it with straight tubing. Pick up a little power....lose a little weight....gain a lot of nice sound. Do it yourself for $10.00 or pay Midas to do it for $100.00. Best improvement for the money you'll ever find.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that.

My 98 RT/10 has smooth tubes, K&N, and no rear muffler.

dyno'd at 426rwhp.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to hear from so more people on this, but i think i will go the route of clipping just the muffler first ( car is to quite). As i hear more about this then i may start doing some more exhaust work.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is an interesting post. I too would like to hear more on it. I'm in a similar situation too. I getting a GTS GenII and want to know the in's and out's.

kernie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 99 GTS that I put the Snake-Oyl pipes on. Total
cost was about 600 installed. It gave the car a more
aggressive sound, I don't know how much horsepower
was truly added.

On my new GTS I have the mopar headers and pipes that
came with the 530 kit. I get lots of sound and
nice burble during the downshifts.

I think it makes the car sound the way it should
have, and it sure sounds faster, but in the real
world I don't really notice a performance
improvement over the stock exhaust.

Would I do it again, you bet, but not for performance.
I like the songs it sings driving down the highway.

kernie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something else I forgot to mention, I have
new CATs as well and I haven't had any
problems with the check engine light that
seems to have plagued some earlier posters.

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS coupe. Tried with cats,eliminating resonators..
no good. Tried rear mufflers no cats no resonators...no good. Tried cats, resonators no mufflers.. no good. I'm talking sound alone here. Best combo I found and many people compliment is no cats,leave resonators on and Mopar performance 3" exhaust with the 4" tips. I didn't dyno but 1/4 mile times improved by almost
2 tenths plus mph by 3 mph. Got 11.9 at 121 mph on stock Michelin's (K&N's,smooth tubes and exhaust combo) Of course beware of codes but I drove my 96 for a few miles without the rear O2 sensors & no codes came up. So maybe I got lucky with my computer. My .02 worth.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I just cut my muffler, and added tips today. The car sounds much better, and seems to idle easier. As far as power gain cant tell, really didnt get on it yet, but it sounds faster.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlackGTS99, did you use the original tips or find something else. I'm considering doing the same thing.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elite1, I just bought a set of 3.5" angle cut rolled tips from AAA muffler in garland. The total with tips and labor was $75.00.
And I am 100% happy with the results . Let me know if u would like to hear and see mine, u are about 25 miles from me.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 GTS, no resonators, no rear muffler. That mod gained me 9 HP, 10 torque. I have this mod, and smoothies/K&Ns. Running 420 rwhp.

Sounds awesome, and super cheap!