Cut those handles off your garage door opener

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having an extra panel and a raised track makes that aspect pretty darn near impossible. I need a ladder to pull the cord from the inside.

As to the comment about pulling the door using the outside handles I had mine removed and holes filled in. Nothing to pul on. Makes it a ***** if the power fails as the doors can only be opened from the inside. But a bit of peace of mind. Also, you should have alarms on the garage doors anyway. We never lock the inside door (unless on a long vacation when we bolt the deadbolt which requires a key from either side) so treat the garage doors as an outside door into the house.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a plastic "t" handle on that rope which made it easy to catch with a coathanger. I cut off so there was nothing to catch.

Thanks for the heads up ! :2tu: I didn't "get" what you were talking about either at first. I'm going to go remove the knob from the end of the rope now. I'm sure that every teenager knows that trick along with many others.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get it now...clever...I can see how shoving a coat hanger through the top of the door weatherstripping would work in this scenario. Thanks for the tip and pics.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Door Systems, Inc.: Commercial Overhead Door: INRYCO/MILCOR

I've been thinking about these telescoping doors. No more track or rails. It would give me a lot more ceiling room for when I get my lift. Opinions?

Those doors can be pretty awesome. There are some in the industry that I work in that open and close in less than 5 seconds each way. They are really nice and make a pretty secure seal with the ground. You shouldn't have to worry about anyone prying it open either. :cool:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Door Systems, Inc.: Commercial Overhead Door: INRYCO/MILCOR

I've been thinking about these telescoping doors. No more track or rails. It would give me a lot more ceiling room for when I get my lift. Opinions?

Is it just me or can nobody else see any details either? I went to this link and read the page that appeared. I wanted to see some more information about how it raises and lowers but I haven't been able to. Also, the website link at the bottom of that page doesn't seem to be working.

Bob

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me or can nobody else see any details either? I went to this link and read the page that appeared. I wanted to see some more information about how it raises and lowers but I haven't been able to. Also, the website link at the bottom of that page doesn't seem to be working.

Bob

I tried as well and got nothing.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't mean for this to become such a big deal. I had a friends house get robbed, they got in thru the garage by slipping a coat hanger like rod between the weatherstripping & the door. They pulled on the rope handel, disengaged the door, raised it, lowered it & made themselves at home.

Thought it might help someone, if you do not like the idea then just go to the next thread. Sounds like the alley over here.....

You must be registered for see images attach

That looks like a rope in this thread! LOL I sure wish you had posted picks before I took a sawzall to the handles on the outside of my garage door!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added a second reinforcement beam across the top of my door, similar to the one that is toward the bottom. No way my door can be bent in at the top to do the coat hanger thing. Most 16 ft doors should have 2 beams regardless.

You must be registered for see images

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure of how much it would cost to retro fit but my garage was built new with the same alarm technologies as the interior of my home. IR motion and window alarms. Manually opening the garage door and entering would result in the motion alarm activating. Seemed a good investment given the contents.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I had the secruity installed in my place I asked about a motion sensor in the garage but was told it was not rugged enough to survive the temps in the garage here in TX. They installed a door sensor though, I think it was only an extra $40 or $50 for the "extra" sensor.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pix....I misinterpreted and thought you meant to cut the whole thing off....even the rope. I actually use the disengage frequently when a car is on the lift and in the air.....prevents potential mishaps.

BTW, I tried the coat hanger trick and it works. Removed my handles 30 seconds later. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude